User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Residential Fridge or Not?

We are getting 310GK and trying to decide on whether or not to get a residential fridge. We do not plan on doing a lot of boon docking. We plan to travel for 4-5 months per year staying 5-10 days per location. I have concerns about not really needing a residential fridge and with moving a lot would it be likely to have more problems?

Any thoughts and/or comment would be appreciated.

Thx

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 310GK/R and very happy with it and no issues moving around. Also, boondocking is our preferred style, so if you ever choose to do any boon docking, know that as long as you account for the residential fridge with battery capacity and charging capability it can easily be done. We are full timers so a residential fridge was a no brainier for us after having 3-prior rv's with absorption fridges, which we found to be inconsistent in cooling and cooling becoming considerably reduced in hotter weather. Considering you plan on fairly extensive travel and stays in your rig, IMHO you would be well served with a residential fridge. In my mind absorption fridges are ok for the recreational RV'er who may not use it a lot.
    Last edited by BB&LAB; 09-24-2021 at 09:57 PM.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been full-timers for a little over six years. Our first 4-1/2 years were with a Norcold 1210 absorption refrigerator. During that time, the refrigerator failed 3 - 4 times and once required a complete new cooling unit (an issue that another member just posted about this morning). We were constantly on edge worrying about whether or not it was going to let us down again and scrambling to try to save food.

We've been in our 310GK-R for over a year and a half, now, and absolutely love our residential refrigerator. We have the factory solar and two Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries and the setup handles the demands of the fridge very well. The only caution I would offer is that you will need to augment or replace the door latches that GD puts on the residential fridges. The doors will fly open and you'll have a mess. The solution we've found is the Fridge Fixer:

https://www.amazon.com/Fridge-Fixer-...2577819&sr=8-2

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We have been full-timers for a little over six years. Our first 4-1/2 years were with a Norcold 1210 absorption refrigerator. During that time, the refrigerator failed 3 - 4 times and once required a complete new cooling unit (an issue that another member just posted about this morning). We were constantly on edge worrying about whether or not it was going to let us down again and scrambling to try to save food.

We've been in our 310GK-R for over a year and a half, now, and absolutely love our residential refrigerator. We have the factory solar and two Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries and the setup handles the demands of the fridge very well. The only caution I would offer is that you will need to augment or replace the door latches that GD puts on the residential fridges. The doors will fly open and you'll have a mess. The solution we've found is the Fridge Fixer:

https://www.amazon.com/Fridge-Fixer-...2577819&sr=8-2

Rob
    X2 frig Fixer. Every time I use ours I thank Rob.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with those above. On our 2nd unit with a residential and will never go back.

We just converted my dads pinnacle to a residential.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote from me for the residential refrigerator. It'll stay cold in the hottest climate.

You just need to cope with the RV storage when not using the RV. Fortunately we can keep our rig plugged in so the frig just always stays on.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods