3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excessive Play

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28C9C82E-448C-40A4-9B46-C701FBB05E10.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	42543I decided to crawl underneath my camper tonight to grease the wet bolts. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to grease one of the ten due to it not taking grease. I tried removing the grease fitting, jacking it up and trying to apply the grease in every position possible but it wasn’t happening. Also, the amount of play appears to be very excessive. I’ll try to include a video if I can.
    Last edited by Jazzman442; 08-16-2022 at 08:03 PM.
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2017 Ford F-250 6.2L

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMO, but those Lippert Equaflex equalizers are not good enough, they are getting dumped off my trailer. I'm replacing them with the EZ-Flex from Dexter. I've had them before and was very pleased. I've had a shackle break, and it looks like it was because the Equaflex weren't installed properly, and the bolts loosened up. That should never happen if they're installed properly. I'll find out more when I pull everything apart. The rubber bushings in the Equaflex look to be totally destroyed, and coming apart.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    JMO, but those Lippert Equaflex equalizers are not good enough, they are getting dumped off my trailer. I'm replacing them with the EZ-Flex from Dexter. I've had them before and was very pleased. I've had a shackle break, and it looks like it was because the Equaflex weren't installed properly, and the bolts loosened up. That should never happen if they're installed properly. I'll find out more when I pull everything apart. The rubber bushings in the Equaflex look to be totally destroyed, and coming apart.
    @Hoopy Frood That stinks, Mine look like they were installed correctly but appear to have way to much play where the wet bolts are installed. I’m not sure if you can service them by installing new bushings/sleeves and or wet bolts. I need to dig into it tomorrow. Thanks
    Last edited by Jazzman442; 08-16-2022 at 08:44 PM.
    2017 Ford F-250 6.2L

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any play in the wetbolts/shackles is too much. They need to be replaced. Depending on the where the play is will determine what needs to be replaced. I would not try to reuse wetbolts that have come loose. IMO wetbolts and shackles should be replaced as a set.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I guess it's not too bad since it is your thread.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any play in the wetbolts/shackles is too much. They need to be replaced. Depending on the where the play is will determine what needs to be replaced. I would not try to reuse wetbolts that have come loose. IMO wetbolts and shackles should be replaced as a set. @Hoopy Frood lol…I was hoping I could get away with replacing just the Bushings but it’s sounds like that’s not happening. Thanks

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I guess it's not too bad since it is your thread.
    @Hoopy Frood lol…I was hoping I could get away with replacing just the Bushings but it’s sounds like that’s not happening. Thanks
    2017 Ford F-250 6.2L

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was just reading the thread, good information for owners. Something else to think about while taking things apart is think about replacing the standard shackles with something like MORyde heavy duty shackles. Many owners find the ends of the standard shackles start elongating and some have reported the end holes breaking out. The shackles get a lot of stress up, down and side to side for the very thin stock shackles.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Was just reading the thread, good information for owners. Something else to think about while taking things apart is think about replacing the standard shackles with something like MORyde heavy duty shackles. Many owners find the ends of the standard shackles start elongating and some have reported the end holes breaking out. The shackles get a lot of stress up, down and side to side for the very thin stock shackles.
    @Steven@147 This job is getting expensive…lol. I will definitely look into that as well. Thankyou
    2017 Ford F-250 6.2L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wet bolts usually come with brass bushings that need to be greased periodically. It's a good idea to check them to make sure they will take grease. It's not unheard of to be unable to grease one, due to several issues: grease holes not finished, weight of the trailer on the grease hole, or plugged grease passage. Good to check and fix the issue if you wish.

On our 2020 solitude front living room, about 43', it came with plastic bushings for the wet bolts. And 6 of the wet bolts would not accept grease because the bolts were clocked wrong. Even after the dealer tried fixing it we could not get grease in them. We had multiple Trims falling off every trip so I ended putting screws in them because the Brad nails just could not hold up the trim's. And the barn doors that separated the master bedroom from the living area as well as the master bedroom from the master bath both fell off and broke into about a dozen pieces each. Fortunately I was able to glue those back together and made it so the door could not hop off the track anymore. From our experience from owning a couple of grand designs our 2016 reflection was great with no problems and are 2020 solitude that cost twice as much was a piece of junk. Out of the 2 years we owned it, it spent approximately 13 months in the shop. We ended up dumping it and taking a little bit of a loss and went with another brand this year.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I attempted to lube the wet bolts on my 2014 Solitude 305RE back in 2016. I couldn't pump grease into most of them. Replaced the grease fittings hoping that would solve the problem. Still no luck on pumping grease. I decided to go with the Roadmaster comfort ride shocks and slipper springs. Only four bushings are used and they claim they are lubricated for the lifetime. I notice my fifth wheel doesn't bounce or chuck like it use to. Recently traveled 101 in California and Oregon this summer. Many slide and washout repairs on this highway cause a lot of bouncing and chucking. Something to check out if you plan to keep your RV for a while. The following website shows a video of the suspension in action.
    https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...mfort_ride.php

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post

On my previous TT (not Grand Design) while making a pre-trip inspection I found the shackles had wore out. Luckily I found it one week before heading from Pa to SC. E-trailer had the parts needed and got them two me with 2day shipping allowing me to replace the bushings, bolts, and heavy duty hangers on both sides.

Name:	Screenshot_20220820-221311_Photos.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	42637

Name:	Screenshot_20220820-221307_Photos.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	42638
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS