User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    As I understand it, household electrical systems can handle the excess surge required on startup, but it's more of a challenge for generators and can certainly pop breakers on 15 or 20 amp circuits depending on what else might be connected and running on that circuit. Maybe someone with more expertise can confirm and explain it for both of us.
    You could always pose that question to @jkwilson He is a retired electrical engineer.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just caught up will the thread. Thanks for the responses, very interesting. I just checked the tag on my GE AC and see that it lists RLA as 12.2 and LRA at 83. The running 12.2 is in line with what my app shows on the EasyStart, but never saw LRA as high as 83. Thanks for the explanations though, it's all making more sense now.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just caught up will the thread. Thanks for the responses, very interesting. I just checked the tag on my GE AC and see that it lists RLA as 12.2 and LRA at 83. The running 12.2 is in line with what my app shows on the EasyStart, but never saw LRA as high as 83. Thanks for the explanations though, it's all making more sense now.
    You'll never see it with a EMS of any brand in the trailer. About the only way to see it is with a multi-meter that has a setting to capture the highest current that it sees. The high current will be displayed on the screen of the meter and stay there until you clear it. I will say, I'm a bit surprised though the the LRA is that high. That is likely worst case scenario if the compressor tries to start back up before the refrigerant system has equalized internal pressure between the high side and the low side.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Remember, the high current 53/54 amps is only there for maybe 2 or 3 milliseconds, then it start dropping. The breaker simply cannot react quickly enough to trip.....unless you are maybe dealing with a defective breaker.
    This is very helpful and what I quoted from you makes sense now that you’ve explained it. Thanks!
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    This is very helpful and what I quoted from you makes sense now that you’ve explained it. Thanks!
    I'm always glad to help when I can. Thanks for letting me know.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from all the numbers, my experience with the Pre-SoftStart, you knew when the AC kicked on. Post, the AC is suddenly on and running. My generator barely burps when it is starting.
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    You'll never see it with a EMS of any brand in the trailer. About the only way to see it is with a multi-meter that has a setting to capture the highest current that it sees. The high current will be displayed on the screen of the meter and stay there until you clear it. I will say, I'm a bit surprised though the the LRA is that high. That is likely worst case scenario if the compressor tries to start back up before the refrigerant system has equalized internal pressure between the high side and the low side.
    Thanks again for the explanations. I've only seen 53 amps using the MicroAir app that is used with the EasyStart (Bluetooth version), but as you say maybe it can't quite capture the entire surge or it would only see the listed number in worst case scenarios. By the way, I don't know how to send that question to jkwilson in this forum but I'll keep researching the answer.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the explanations. I've only seen 53 amps using the MicroAir app that is used with the EasyStart (Bluetooth version), but as you say maybe it can't quite capture the entire surge or it would only see the listed number in worst case scenarios. By the way, I don't know how to send that question to jkwilson in this forum but I'll keep researching the answer.
    Here is a link to his profile on here. Click the link and it will open his profile page, then you can PM him with the question.....

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/memb...10506-jkwilson
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Aside from all the numbers, my experience with the Pre-SoftStart, you knew when the AC kicked on. Post, the AC is suddenly on and running. My generator barely burps when it is starting.
    Soft starts are basically a VFD.....Variable Frequency Drive. All of those types of motors (along with everything else in the U.S. runs on 60 cycle power. The VFD has the ability to change that frequency to a lower number, say 25 cycles to start with, then ramp it up over time to 60 cycles. The result of that is the motor starting at say 25 cycles is that it pulls a lot less current on start up. The VFD for the A/C units are generally not adjustable as far as ramp up time, where in an industrial environment, there are many settings to be able to get the motor to perform at whatever parameters are needed....speed control, power consumption, etc.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inrush or LRA is a real thing and pain in the... When ever we have a Data Center that crashes and comes back up, some of our safety breakers will trip. Especially in the high density computing racks. Grrr. Just to much current at once from multiple devices.
    My question which is kind of spinning off is, is the Bluetooth feature worth it? I was hoping to get my Microair with BT before my next trip but they are still back ordered unless I pay a hefty fee. I can however get a softstart for a little less. But the geek in me wants to see the numbers. Lol
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast