User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lithium battery install

I'm new to solar systems and lithium batteries. I just purchased a 202217MKE it has the a 165w solar panel and the Furrion MPPT 25A controller.
    Can I just install it in the pass through storage space? If so would someone tell me what to do? Its all wired up for conventional wet batteries. Thank You

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by siggy54 View Post
    I'm new to solar systems and lithium batteries. I just purchased a 202217MKE it has the a 165w solar panel and the Furrion MPPT 25A controller.
    Can I just install it in the pass through storage space? If so would someone tell me what to do? Its all wired up for conventional wet batteries. Thank You
    First off, it looks like this is your first post, welcome to the forum. Hope you are enjoying your new TT.

To answer your question, yes, there are many lithium batteries that can be a drop in replacement for lead acid. I'd suggest you consider a 200 amp hour battery that will run your refrigerator for at least one full day.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe your converter will not be capable to fully charge it as well
    I am sure the experts will be along soon. Welcome
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I believe your converter will not be capable to fully charge it as well
    I am sure the experts will be along soon. Welcome
    Thanks, @NB Canada, you're right, some of the charger/converters are not lithium aware and will only partially charge a LiFePo4 battery. The OP also has the solar which is lithium aware and can top off the battery. It's also possible that the charger/converter that came with the coach is lithium aware, check the build sheet, the model number would likely have AD at the end if it were lithium aware.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to be very aware of when purchasing a LiFePO4 battery is whether or not it has a low temperature cutoff feature built into the BMS that it has. Some of the cheaper LFP batteries DO NOT have the low temp. cutoff and if a charger of any type tries to charge that battery and the temperatures are too low (normally around 32°F), you can destroy the battery completely. It only takes one time and the battery is likely done for. So make absolutely sure that whatever brand you get, it has low voltage cutoff for charging.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed a SOK 206AH blue tooth and heated.
    I installed it under the bed.
    I drilled one hole for the cables.
    Also had to change out the wfco-8735-p it had no lithium ability.
    Installed pd4135k it has a switch.
    I would like to ask about my truck batteries. I didn't know there is a charging wire for the trailer and my truck batteries are lead acid.
    On my blue tooth battery I can see when plugged in the truck and not running the battery discharges when truck is running it charges the trailer,a very small charge.
    Do I need to isolate or put a dc to dc converter in between so current doesn't flow back and forth between the truck and trailer, two different kinds of batteries, or is it nothing to worry about?
    Thanks, Ken
    Last edited by Kenny52; 10-14-2022 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Operating Engineer's Local 501 Retired
    2016 Ram 3500 cc srw cummins 6.7.
    2022 22mle solar package, SOK 206ah lithium iron phosphate battery.
    Progressive dynamics 4135 charger controller.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny52 View Post
    Also had to change out the wf-8735-p it had no lithium ability.
    I would like to ask about my truck batteries. I didn't know there is a charging wire for the trailer and my truck batteries are lead acid.
    On my blue tooth battery I can see when plugged in the truck and not running the battery discharges when truck is running it charges the trailer, very small a charge.
    Do I need to isolate or put a dc to dc convert in between so current doesn't flow back and forth between the truck and trailer, two different kind of batteries, or is it nothing to worry about?
    Thanks, Ken
    I have 2 of those SOK batteries and no DC to DC charger and no isolation and in a year of lots of use I have had zero issues. Previously, with the same truck, I had 2 other trailers with LION Energy Lithium and, again, no trouble.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you��
    Operating Engineer's Local 501 Retired
    2016 Ram 3500 cc srw cummins 6.7.
    2022 22mle solar package, SOK 206ah lithium iron phosphate battery.
    Progressive dynamics 4135 charger controller.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny52 View Post
    Also had to change out the wfco-8735-p it had no lithium ability.
    On my blue tooth battery I can see when plugged in the truck and not running the battery discharges when truck is running it charges the trailer,a very small charge.
    Do I need to isolate or put a dc to dc converter in between so current doesn't flow back and forth between the truck and trailer, two different kinds of batteries, or is it nothing to worry about?
    Thanks, Ken
    Hey Ken, I know your post was quite awhile ago but, where did you drill the hole to get the cables under the bed? I have a 2023 17MKE that is solar equipped and has the lithium compatible charger already installed. The current battery on the tongue has only the positive and negative wires running to it. It looks like all the charging and other circuity needed for the camper are routed elsewhere so I only need those two wires to get to the new 200Ah lithium battery
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2021 Ford F‑150 XLT 3.5L V6 Hybrid 4WD SuperCrew Cab Factory Max tow package