User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got the Camco Awning anchor for those slightly windy days. Prevents it from jump up. It's similar to what @NB Canada did but without the poles.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-42593-Aw...001Y8NF90?th=1
    However, the awning still comes in at night or when we are not there or strong wind.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else miss the old manual awnings?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Now that is interesting. Looks like the vertical arm and holder is home made - nice. Can I ask how that strap is secured around the arm? I assume you use a screw in type eye at the ground? I like this idea alot.
    An eye hook at the top for the strap
    The poles are Woods brand camping poles
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last trailer had an electric carefree awning that did not have adjustable pitch. Left it out anytime we where in the campground, did have to retract it when woke up in the middle of the night with it flapping. Never broke however with the straight pitch it did load up with water in the rain. Was looking forward to the new no me 31MB with adjustable pitch and the not worrying about water pooling on the awning. I do have a sun shield that I peg down in the corners so maybe that is the difference. My sister has an old style owning on her 2012 travel trailer that stays open all summer at their seasonal but they are pretty protected from the wind.......
    2019 SRW Superduty 6.7 PSD
    2021 Grand Design Reflections 31MB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    What I use. It helps to be able to leave it out in heavy heavy rain and wind. I bring it in at night though
    Attachment 44497
    Can you post a link for that support. Have not seen that one befor.
    Thanks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else miss the old manual awnings?

Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Can you post a link for that support. Have not seen that one befor.
    Thanks
    Home made. The poles are Woods brand tarp/awning poles
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our previous trailer we left an old style awning out while we boated to the other end of the lake - you ALWAYS have to fish at the other end of the lake. lol. Anyway, nice calm sunny day, caught our limit of walleye and went back to see the awning over the top of the trailer. Arms twisted and broken. Couldn't believe it. Crawled up on the trailer and cut the awning off with a knife. We didn't experience any wind on the lake. Must have been some localized gust.
    Point of the story?
    I never replaced that awning in the following 4 or 5 years before I sold the trailer..and I never missed it. We hardly use our awnings at all. When we have it out, it goes back in as soon as we leave the site. So I'll take the flimsier electric one for ease of use.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I like the current models.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much rather have the electric ones we have now. I open them partially about 2-3 ft out when raining or in light to mod wind and have no problems. If leaving for the day i always bring it in or leave no more than 1-2 feet out. Heavy winds is a no go but so was with the old manual ones. Not sure why people would go back. Sure they were more sturdy but not worth the hassle of manually deploying. To each their own.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I would go so far as to say I miss the old manual awnings, but they were much sturdier and didn't flop around so much in a mild breeze. But the convenience is nice, and we rarely use the darned things anyway, except the one in the rear over the patio/garage door.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Thought for the morning... I was just wondering if I'm the only one that wishes they still put the old style awnings on RV's? You know, the kind where you had to use the pole to pull out the awning, slide the arms out to the end and tighten them down, then raise the awning up? And you could leave it out for pretty moderate winds because it had a heavier duty material and the awning frame was fairly durable? With the new awnings it seems like the slightest breeze causes the awning to bounce and it makes me nervous to leave it out if we're not right there. Now, I understand that people used to leave those old awnings out and they ended up damaged in storms too, but they were so much more durable. Because you could leave them out for days at a time it wasn't much of a pain IMHO. Pushing a button is nice these days, but I'd give that convenience up for the old style in a minute if it were an option.
    Yes, the new Lippert awnings suck. Terrible wind resistance and the motors wear out in less than three years. I would love to go back to manual awnings.
    Spike & Kimberly
    2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW
    2002 GMC 2500HD 6.6L -Traded

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast