User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post
    OK, somewhat of a "newbie" question. I can get the fridge going while it is in storage using 30 amp "shore power" a day before we leave. I am not thrilled about running LP while in transit. Furthermore, I find the fridge temp is inconsistent between the top and bottom part of the fridge. The deals seem OK, that was the first thing I looked at. In short, it passed the carboard/seam test.
    That said, I have a few options:
    A) Freeze what I can, and place it in the fridge for our typical 3-6 hour journey to our destination. This has worked just "OK" with outside temps below 80F
    B) Include a bag of ice bag (5# or 10#) but that takes up a lot of space and limits what I can put in the fridge
    C) Include a bag of ice in the fridge AND ice in a cooler

I would rather not have to bring a cooler, but as we increase our long weekends from Thursday-Sunday to now Wed-Sun, option C is becoming the norm.

My 2020, 22MLE did NOT come with the solar option and makes use of a single lead acid battery. I do not have plans to get solar nor a generator as I do not see us dry camp for the foreseeable future.

Question:
    Is there a way to run the fridge on battery power only, while connected to the tow vehicle? If so, what do I have to do?
    With an absorption fridge, like you have, your present choices for running the fridge while traveling are.....use the 12V battery power to operate the fridge controls, and it runs on propane. If you want to run it on 120VAC, like you would do when it's plugged into shore power, you would have to purchase an inverter and and connect that up to supply 120VAC to the fridge receptacle. With one FLA battery, that may or may not be able to keep the fridge running for the entire trip.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    With an absorption fridge, like you have, your present choices for running the fridge while traveling are.....use the 12V battery power to operate the fridge controls, and it runs on propane. If you want to run it on 120VAC, like you would do when it's plugged into shore power, you would have to purchase an inverter and and connect that up to supply 120VAC to the fridge receptacle. With one FLA battery, that may or may not be able to keep the fridge running for the entire trip.
    I was hoping to use my existing battery (may upgrade to lithium) and have that (trickle) charged while on-route. I do not want to have a dedicated battery just for the fridge while en-route. I will need to see what electrical requirements are for my fridge to get the correct inverter. That said, are you saying that I would have to plug power to my fridge via the inverter while traveling, then change plug outlet when I get to the campground?

Sorry in advance for the lack of electrical knowledge...
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2020 RAM 2500 Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might not have to change the plug when unhooked from shore power, but you'd have to configure the inverter to power the refrigerator plug outlet for travel. This is one of the reasons most people travel with propane on to power the fridge: all it uses is 12V power to operate the control board and igniter, but if you figure to use 120V power, then you have to have an inverter which will provide 120V power from the battery.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post
    OK, somewhat of a "newbie" question. I can get the fridge going while it is in storage using 30 amp "shore power" a day before we leave. I am not thrilled about running LP while in transit. Furthermore, I find the fridge temp is inconsistent between the top and bottom part of the fridge. The deals seem OK, that was the first thing I looked at. In short, it passed the carboard/seam test.
    That said, I have a few options:
    A) Freeze what I can, and place it in the fridge for our typical 3-6 hour journey to our destination. This has worked just "OK" with outside temps below 80F
    B) Include a bag of ice bag (5# or 10#) but that takes up a lot of space and limits what I can put in the fridge
    C) Include a bag of ice in the fridge AND ice in a cooler

I would rather not have to bring a cooler, but as we increase our long weekends from Thursday-Sunday to now Wed-Sun, option C is becoming the norm.

My 2020, 22MLE did NOT come with the solar option and makes use of a single lead acid battery. I do not have plans to get solar nor a generator as I do not see us dry camp for the foreseeable future.

Question:
    Is there a way to run the fridge on battery power only, while connected to the tow vehicle? If so, what do I have to do?
    I have a two way fridge and here's my routine (trailer is in my driveway): I turn the fridge on to shore power two days prior to travel and set it in "auto" mode. That way if power goes out the propane will kick on and run the fridge. The next day ( 1 day pror to travel) when the fridge and freezer are at operating temperature, I load frozen food into the freezer and all other foods to be refridgerated into the fridge.
    The day of travel, I unhook the power, the fridge flips over to propane - and away I go (driving with propane on). Once plugged in to shore power at the campsite, it flips back to shore power..........easy peasy.

I wouldn't be messing with coolers and such and I have NO concerns travelling with propane on.
    Dave & Carol
    Eastern GTA, ON
    2022 Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel
    2017 GMC 2500 Crew Cab pick up (6.0 litre Gasser)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL....I don't think that's what he meant at all. His "unattended" was ....storing the trailer off site from where they live, and having to turn it on there, then leave it overnight, and come back the next day to load up, hookup, and travel.
    IDK, He also said he doesn't run it under tow. And after 6 hours it wasn't cool. I was just pointing out that if having a propane appliance run while not attended or under tow is an issue, then sleeping while it runs should really be an issue... If it catches fire at the storage lot is one thing. If it does while sleeping in the coach is whole different level... So at any rate, with all the times he doesn't like it running,,,,any fridge would not perform. So I agree that a 12V compressor model is the right choice for him.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    IDK, He also said he doesn't run it under tow. And after 6 hours it wasn't cool. I was just pointing out that if having a propane appliance run while not attended or under tow is an issue, then sleeping while it runs should really be an issue... If it catches fire at the storage lot is one thing. If it does while sleeping in the coach is whole different level... So at any rate, with all the times he doesn't like it running,,,,any fridge would not perform. So I agree that a 12V compressor model is the right choice for him.
    I agree, a 12V fridge would be good choice for him. What I was talking about as far as the unattended part....If they are in the trailer sleeping, the smoke alarms would go off (if maintained properly), while they wouldn't hear them if they were in the truck, and obviously if it's parked away from home.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, a 12V fridge would be good choice for him. What I was talking about as far as the unattended part....If they are in the trailer sleeping, the smoke alarms would go off (if maintained properly), while they wouldn't hear them if they were in the truck, and obviously if it's parked away from home.
    Got it. Though being inside is still a more serious situation. As an aside, I once owned a single wide mobile home for about 4 hours. after moving in,we went out for dinner. When I returned, the fire dept was finishing up.
    They told me it was a goner in about 15 minutes from ignition. They were real happy to see us, as they did not know if anyone was inside.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it. Though being inside is still a more serious situation. As an aside, I once owned a single wide mobile home for about 4 hours. after moving in,we went out for dinner. When I returned, the fire dept was finishing up.
    They told me it was a goner in about 15 minutes from ignition. They were real happy to see us, as they did not know if anyone was inside.
    Dang! That's an incredible story, but not one to envy for sure. Glad you guys weren't there for it.....Whew!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow 15min.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy!

Wow the responses. I figured I would get a few. I was trying to get some idea of direction with this one. I was kind of given some leeway to research the topic. As for the camper during seasonal mode, I tend to turn off the Propane when we are not around for the week. Water too is shut off. We just keep the trailer plugged in for electric. That runs the A/C and any other device in the trailer we might have one while using. I saw 12 volt fridges come up in a couple of camping videos I was watching on youtube. The wife happened to walk in the room while I was watching them. She asked if that would be more helpful with the trailer. With the trailer paid off, it is easier to look at updates and improvements to the trailer. Installing certain things like max air fans and surge protection was "needed" during payment phase. Now if I want to do something like a fidge, it can be budget without an issue. Also my wife mentioned solar as a back up source since the trailer as partial sun for several hours at the site. I thought 2 panels would be enough for a partial recharge of the battery.

The current fridge works fine.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast