User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electric Heat for Underbelly of MLS 17MKE

Does anyone have photos or a diagram of the underbelly of a 17MKE? I haven't removed the underbelly yet, but I'm trying to see if there is a location that I could place a 300W bilge/engine heater that has a built-in fan. I am on shoreline power all year long and therefore would rather not use the propane heating.

I've seen the other approach in this forum to run an additional force fed air duct into the underbelly and use a space heater in the cabin, but I'd rather not be cutting holes in the floor or cabinets for the vent and ducts.

Any info/suggestions welcome!!

thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. You could use the duct that already heats the underbelly, it comes off the furnace. Might be able to hook up a space heater/blower to the existing duct and see how it performs.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdmillennium View Post
    Does anyone have photos or a diagram of the underbelly of a 17MKE? I haven't removed the underbelly yet, but I'm trying to see if there is a location that I could place a 300W bilge/engine heater that has a built-in fan. I am on shoreline power all year long and therefore would rather not use the propane heating.

I've seen the other approach in this forum to run an additional force fed air duct into the underbelly and use a space heater in the cabin, but I'd rather not be cutting holes in the floor or cabinets for the vent and ducts.

Any info/suggestions welcome!!

thanks in advance.
    Yes, welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us. As @FT4NOW said, you may have luck connecting the bilge heater to your existing duct from the furnace. Let us know how you make out, I have a bilge heater waiting to be hooked up.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks both.

Does anyone know if there is a separate duct to warm the underbelly….or is it just the cabin ducts that are routed through and therefore provide heat?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our 5er, under/behind the bottom hutch drawer their is an opening that leads to the basement - probably for return air, but one could force warm into that area as well which could have the same effect.

The underbelly (above coroplast) would still need the forced duct work however.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks both.

Does anyone know if there is a separate duct to warm the underbelly….or is it just the cabin ducts that are routed through and therefore provide heat?
    I don't know about your specific model, but there should be a dedicated duct which heats the underbelly.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I don't know about your specific model, but there should be a dedicated duct which heats the underbelly.
    Thanks - I will check as soon as the weather gets better...in the mean time, if anyone knows for sure it would be helpful.

..and the thread title should be XLS, not MLS...my bad!
    Last edited by Thirdmillennium; 02-08-2023 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - I will check as soon as the weather gets better...in the mean time, if anyone knows for sure it would be helpful.

..and the thread title should be XLS, not MLS...my bad!
    I got to thinking...

Is your goal for the underbelly heat to prevent freezing?

If yes, and you are considering an electric heater since you will be on shore power, maybe you can install tank heaters (12v) and heat tape on the plumbing lines (120v). It will be a good amount of work, but will help prevent freezing.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I got to thinking...

Is your goal for the underbelly heat to prevent freezing?

If yes, and you are considering an electric heater since you will be on shore power, maybe you can install tank heaters (12v) and heat tape on the plumbing lines (120v). It will be a good amount of work, but will help prevent freezing.
    Yes- I live in North Texas and for the most part the winters are mild. My hope is just to keep it from freezing. I think the tank heaters might be the route to take. I understand that the propane furnace has a dedicated vent to the underbelly, but my RV is on shore power most of the winter and I would rather use electrical heat. Thanks for your suggestions.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect you would be fine down to sustained well-below-freezing days with what you have - there is a decent amount of air exchange between your heated interior and the underbelly, especially if you open cabinets. Probably only a few of those super cold days a year depending on where you are.

Tank heaters not a bad idea and simple/easy. The heat tape wouldnt be too difficult to pair with foam pipe insulation and set up so you could just plug it in when it’s really cold.

You do have a dedicated heat duct to the belly. It’s the smaller diameter tube off the heater. Fwiw, we were also full-time in NC with electric and we ran all electric except the days where it was really cold. It wasn’t a ton of propane - maybe 14 or so days this winter even further north like we are.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast