User Tag List

View Poll Results: How angry should I be?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Settle down, it's nothing!

3 7.89%
  • That's not very good!

7 18.42%
  • Whoa... that is really wrong

4 10.53%
  • Angry. Very Angry.

7 18.42%
  • Livid. That was extremely dangerous!

17 44.74%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
    It definitely was the sway that was binding and caused the bending but this is for a utility trailer

You need to get a solid shank with height adjustment and curt has ball heads that bolt to the shank many have a spot for a sway ball

Can you post a pic of the hitch you just bought?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    It definitely was the sway that was binding and caused the bending ...
    I agree. Looks like the sway bar was jammed or it was way too tight.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That should never been sent out on that shank.

You should have the solid shank, adjustable head hitch, just like a weight distributing hitch has, with a friction sway control.

Never tighten the friction sway bars more than you can move with 2 fingers. Common mistake is making them as tight as you possibly can. You see the results...
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of the purchase process was to THOROUGHLY research with Land Rover and with the Dealership to understand if and how this combination would work. So, I did my homework to ensure -- beyond any doubt -- that the configuration of vehicle and trailer would work. Since then, I have -- really -- weighed everything that gets added to the trailer. And I've had the trailer independent weighed to confirm my own weight calculations. Everything checks out. Except for the critical piece sticking out my hitch receiver with a ball on it. The thing I call a "hitch" because the a-frame tongue connects to it and there is nothing else.

So, I know I'm okay with the physics and the safety.

After being so careful -- I'm just shocked to find that a piece I took for granted -- was waaaaay wrong for this setup.

Attachment 44973
    Attachment 44972
    Obviously that drawbar is not adequate for your trailer and your “research” woefully inadequate if you thought the “weight distributing” capabilities of your tow vehicle negated the use of a proper hitch, two completely different animals.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, all... I could use some group feedback...

The short version: the dealership sold me, configured and installed a hitch when I bought my 2600RB. I just found out the hitch is rated for 3500lbs and is therefore woefully undersized. How angry should I be?

The long version: I bought my 2600RB brand new last summer from Campers Inn in Raynham, MA.
    Having bought two trailers from Camper's Inn (Kingston and Merrimack NH), it doesn't surprise me that you were given poor advice as to the suitability of that hitch for your situation. Camper's Inn is in my opinion too big for the talent pool they have available. This leads to them having untrained personnel working with customers both at the sales and service levels. But they're not alone in this, the whole industry suffers from a lack of suitably trained personnel.

As I mentioned I purchased two trailers from Camper's Inn. The first was a horror show which was due in part to my not knowing much or anything about what was being sold to me. The second so far has gone much better, first off I had a lot more experience which led me to find a salesperson who knew what he was talking about. Secondly, I did a lot more research ahead of time so that I chose the hitch based on what was suitable for my setup.

So, should you be angry? That's up to you. Fortunately, you didn't have an accident and no one was hurt. And most likely you'll never trust a salesperson again the way you did for this coach. My 2 cents, do your research and select equipment that allows you to tow safely. Are you sure your TV fits that description? Let us know what you've selected for your replacement hitch, there are many very knowledgeable folks on this forum that can help you decide if it is suitable.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you should be angry at the dealer, however you ultimately towed it. You should be mad at yourself as well. More research should have been done on your part. As others have pretty easily found proof of, your vehicle is inadequate for a camper that large regardless of what the advertised max towing capacity is. You've exceeded several other limits.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Campers Inn should've never allowed that TT to be sold to you with your LRD.
    If you can't use a WDH then your max tow is 5000 lbs and a max TW of 500 lbs.
    Seems to me that Land Rover is printing out some info that contradicts itself.
    1st it give a max tow with and without a WDH. Then it says you can't use a WDH. So which is it?

Also I would bet that you're over the WDH max TW of 801 with that TT. GD lists the TW dry at 594 lbs. Add a battery @ 50 lbs and full propane tanks at 37 lbs x 2 = 74 lbs.
    Thats 124 lbs added to the 594 lb dry TW. 718 lbs. Now add the weight of the WDH and friction bar stuff. 40 lbs+?
    Thats 758 lbs and you have put anything in the TT yet. What have you put in the front cargo hold or under the bed?
    If you have two batteries then you're over the LRD receiver rating.

While I wouldn't say the 2600RB is 100% a 3/4 ton truck TT. I would say it's way beyond your LRD loaded weight wise. Some properly configured 1/2 ton trucks could tow it well enough.

So IMO it's a moot point as to whether or not you should be PO'd at Campers Inn because of the WDH setup they gave you. You should be PO'd that you now have a TT thats too much weight wise for your LRD.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2022 2600RB has a hitch weight of just shy of 1000 lbs. GVW of the trailer is just at 7000 lbs as I tow when camping, per my CAT scale numbers.
    So you'll need a hitch setup that can support those weights.

There must be an independent auto repair or trailer sales place in your area that can help you get the right equipment. Doesn't have to be a camper dealer.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    My 2022 2600RB has a hitch weight of just shy of 1000 lbs. GVW of the trailer is just at 7000 lbs as I tow when camping, per my CAT scale numbers.
    So you'll need a hitch setup that can support those weights.

There must be an independent auto repair or trailer sales place in your area that can help you get the right equipment. Doesn't have to be a camper dealer.
    If he had a vehicle that would allow the use of a weight distributing hitch with at least 1000 lbs of tongue weight then your recommendation would be valid.

Unfortunately according to the owners manual his vehicle prohibits the use of a WD hitch and the hitch is limited to 500 lbs tongue weight with a standard hitch.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    If he had a vehicle that would allow the use of a weight distributing hitch with at least 1000 lbs of tongue weight then your recommendation would be valid.

Unfortunately according to the owners manual his vehicle prohibits the use of a WD hitch and the hitch is limited to 500 lbs tongue weight with a standard hitch.
    Then he needs a different tow vehicle as the tongue weight of the 2600 RB exceeds 500 lb.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast