User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deerislandbrew View Post
    I just went through that same situation a few weeks ago. Buy a 1/2" NPT tap, to clean the residual plastic out of there. I 1st cut slots in the plastic thread stuck in the tank bung, then pried some out with a screw driver, then melted and scored more of it with a soldering iron. Pain in the ****** job. After removing as much as you can, then run the tap in just like you would if you were tapping metal. That is how I cleaned mine. A thread extractor tool didn't work at all. Be sure to flush your tank a couple times to clear debris before putting it back together. I bought an aluminum elbow for mine, followed by a PVC fitting, then a brass check valve to avoid dissimilar metal corrosion.
    See post # 10 in this thread where @Hoopy Frood mentions that the tap will bottom out on the bung. Did you have this issue or were you able to clean all of the thread area?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    See post # 10 in this thread where @Hoopy Frood mentions that the tap will bottom out on the bung. Did you have this issue or were you able to clean all of the thread area?
    I didn't have any real problem with the tap bottoming out. The plastic threads from the old check valve were cleaned or pushed out when I stopped. Still your best option to clean the threads anyway you look at it.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Heating up very hot with a torch is a bit of an issue when the port is surrounded by styrofoam, and close quarter wiring. That would work well in an open environment. I couldn't do it in my very close quarter area around my water heater.
    I used a soldering gun with the flat hot tip. Trigger heat to activate the gun, is really the best option cause its not hot until you need it.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123