Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Receiver Hitch Adaptor Added to Bumper Question

I would like to add a 2-inch receiver hitch adaptor to my MKE17 bumper to carry a bike rack and two bikes. The total weight would be about 100 pounds. But I'm afraid that the bumper won't be able to handle the weight. Looking for the good and bad experiences that you may have had if you tried this.
    Last edited by littleapple; 02-25-2023 at 07:21 AM.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littleapple View Post
    I would like to add a 2-inch receiver hitch adaptor to my MKE17 bumper to carry a bike rack and two bikes. The total weight would be about 100 pounds. But I'm afraid that the bumper wouldn't be able to handle the weight. Looking for the good and bad experiences that you may have had if you tried this.
    NEVER.....I repeat...NEVER add a receiver hitch of any kind to a rear bumper, they simply are not adequate for even a bike rack. The secure way is to install a receiver hitch that is mounted to the frame of the RV, and make sure that the bike carrier is RV/Trailer rated.....many are not.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you chose to do that, please stay behind me.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree...spend the extra $ and get the receiver attached to the frame.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be the outcast among us

My previous trailer was a Rockwood ROO 23SS hybrid. I installed a 2" receiver adapter on the square tubing bumper for a bike carrier. I used it for 9 years and had no issues. Could something have happened - absolutely.

I don't disagree with thoses that are against it, I'm just saying that I did it and it was fine.

My 303 has the factory hitch, so not an issue now.
    Dave & Carol
    Eastern GTA, ON
    2022 Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel
    2017 GMC 2500 Crew Cab pick up (6.0 litre Gasser)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to add a 2-inch receiver hitch adaptor to my MKE17 bumper
    We have installed on our GD2450RL a Stromberg Carlson BC-202BA 2-Bike Rack (40# each bike) and a set of safety struts from: https://mount-n-lock.com/
    I also use a Hitch Tightener for 1.25" and 2" Hitches LIBERRWAY 304 Stainless Steel Hitch Tightener Anti-Rattle Stabilizer at the receiver.
    We only carry 2 light weight bicycles plus I strap them tightly to the rear ladder and the spare tire carrier and haven't had any problems.
    All in its around 100# for the carrier and bikes. We do not take the bikes on all trips.
    My son-in-law has used a similar setup for years with out any issues.

Some people have installed a second set of safety struts for extra strength but, wouldn't assume that translates to carrying more weight. I would consider a small platform type carrier to carry a generator or sorts under 100#.

Again this is our experience.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OshawaDave View Post
    I'll be the outcast among us

My previous trailer was a Rockwood ROO 23SS hybrid. I installed a 2" receiver adapter on the square tubing bumper for a bike carrier. I used it for 9 years and had no issues. Could something have happened - absolutely.

I don't disagree with thoses that are against it, I'm just saying that I did it and it was fine.

My 303 has the factory hitch, so not an issue now.
    We too had a FR hybrid, just a Shamrock 21SS (Roo twin). The huge difference is that FR set up the 4" tube to take load as it's where the spare is mounted standard. GD does not. If you think back, your Roo had two extensions off the frame rails that were then notched to form a seat for the 4" tube bumper. Then bumper was stitch welded in the seat along the bottom and the back. Very, very different than GD.

I had modified ours with heavier tube steel, fully welded, and gusseted. I then had a aluminum toolbox mounted off it that loaded weighed 380#, and I relocated the spare to front between the A-frame rails.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    We too had a FR hybrid, just a Shamrock 21SS (Roo twin). The huge difference is that FR set up the 4" tube to take load as it's where the spare is mounted standard. GD does not. If you think back, your Roo had two extensions off the frame rails that were then notched to form a seat for the 4" tube bumper. Then bumper was stitch welded in the seat along the bottom and the back. Very, very different than GD.

I had modified ours with heavier tube steel, fully welded, and gusseted. I then had a aluminum toolbox mounted off it that loaded weighed 380#, and I relocated the spare to front between the A-frame rails.
    True enough and that's why I did have a comfort level knowing the spare was mounted on the bumper.
    Dave & Carol
    Eastern GTA, ON
    2022 Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel
    2017 GMC 2500 Crew Cab pick up (6.0 litre Gasser)