User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Solitude Suspension Rebuild

This post may get lengthy ...... I'm going to post my info here rather than in the Solitude section because maybe more owners might look for info here rather than in the Solitude section and it might help someone else.

It's been three years since I replaced the bronze bushings January 2020 and then I also installed MORryde upgraded shackles and new wet bolts. I Completed a visual inspection this month and the springs look a little weak and the U bolts look very rusty. I have equaflex installed now and they also look a little worn. The suspension hangers look ok and not bent or deformed, but they do not have the "V" clips installed, our RV is a 2019. However we have @ 18,000 miles on the rig. This year we are taking another trip out South West and I don't want to break down on the road due to suspension problems. So I'm going to rebuild the suspension.

Now I'm not going to go with IS so this post has no correlation to Solitudes with Independent Suspensions.

I'm staying with bronze bushings for spring hung axles and not never fail bushings (nothing is ever never fail) but to order new spring hung axle parts to do the job what I needed to know was the exact leaf spring data, wheelbase, and U bolt data. I'll replace all 4 leaf springs, equaflex with MORryde CRE 3000 and install all new wet bolts, bronze bushings and upgraded shackles.

First thanks to @geotex1 for helping me figure out what springs and U bolts I have as he has the same RV we have and has done some of this searching and rebuilding. Now i believe all the full Solitudes and S Class Solitudes have the same spring hung type suspension, but I can't swear to that and some may have 3500# springs for 7000# axles or 4000# springs for 8000# axles, but they have the same axles tubes, hubs and suspensions, more on that later. It can be a little confusing getting the right data to know what to order. A lot of the parts web sites don't help either with conflicting dimension data.

I did send the axle part number GD 120087 Dexter 7658660 and serial number 131157791 to Dexter for info on what the axle came with. The part number info was taken off the axle data label. They sent back,

D70,Brk Axle, HF=90.00, 12x2,Elec,7K FSA Brk, Fig-EZ Lube, 2.250 Seal, 3.00xMED Wall, 8-6.50, H-D, 1/2-20 Stud, OvrSlg, SC=74.25, 1.75 Wide, 26" DblEye, 3500#, Bronzed Bushed, Sprgs, Calculate Leaf Sp Capacity, CSA TAG, Capacity=7000, Wired, 24" pigtails.

I get from that data each axle is 7000#, 90 inches long but 74.25 inches spring mount to spring mount, EZ lube axles, rear hub grease seal is 2.250 x 3 inch diameter, 8 lug nuts by 6.5 pattern with 1/2-20 studs, Leaf springs are 1.75 wide. by 26" double eye to eye loaded, 3500#, with bronze bushings with electric brakes.
    You might find Dexter part numbers of 072-098-02 for the 3500# leaf springs.

Now I found out the over all spring length might be 26" loaded but the length you need will be 24 7/8 unloaded center eye to center eye. A big confusion point here when looking up parts.

Ok so I start looking up parts like on e-trailer and other sites and some of their information does and does not match up. e-trailer for example does not list, and they have told me they do not stock 3500# 6 leaf springs anymore, to upgrade to 4000# 7 leaf springs of the same dimensions. That is just the same as initially having an upgraded Solitude with 8000# axles. So why not and we end up with 8000# axles from our OEM 7000#. Its the very same axle but with heavier springs, But gotcha, that will require longer U bolts. You notice the data Dexter sent me had no info on the dimensions of the U bolts unless D70 means the U bolts. Geotex1 helped me out with the OEM U bolt dimensions and they are 1/2-20 weird size of 6 5/8 length.

So this is what I have on my list for ordering,
    DX74XR (072-079-00) 4000# leaf springs, 7 leaf, 1 3/4 inch wide, 26 inch overall length - $169.89 each.
    MORryde CRE-3000 - 35 for 35 inch wheelbase - $186.85 set
    MR46ZR - MORryde U012-016 wet bolt and heavy shackle kit for 2 1/4 inch center eye to center eye - $112.68
    CE23003 - U bolts - zink, for 1 3/4 springs, 3 inch axle tube, 1/2-20, 7 inches length - $44.56 (these might not be long enough, gotta check new spring pack thickness+3 inch axle tube)

I'll probably have to update this post and additional post, but lets get this posted first before I lose everything I've already typed in.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-02-2023 at 07:43 AM. Reason: correction addition
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I discovered the same issue you ran into when I changed springs: nobody seems to put down the same eye-to-eye length for springs. But I also found out what you found: 26" loaded, and 24 7/8" unloaded. I also checked with Etrailer for the 4,000 lb. springs, and was quoted about the same price, but the time frame wasn't going to work. Instead I checked with Lippert and found the same springs 4,000 lb. 7-leaf, size and rating anyway, for about $60 less per spring than what Etrailer wanted.

I was very unimpressed with the Equaflex equalizers, and replaced them with the EZ-Flex and wet bolt kit for around $330. That included the heavy duty shackle links. The Equaflex was pretty much toast, with much of the rubber disintegrated. I had installed EZ-Flex on our previous 5th wheel, and they still looked great after 5 years and not sure how many thousand miles.

Seems like my U-bolts had to be a bit longer than 7", maybe around 7 1/4"-7 1/2". I sourced them locally for about $11 each.

Just a FWIW post, not criticizing anything, just an observation about how I did it. Like you said "it might help someone else".
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 03-01-2023 at 10:36 AM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    V-Clips - The Lippert part number for these are https://store.lci1.com/ang-3313-x-33...9-l1813-103727
    I might get them and have them welded in, but then again I've read that since the change to Dexter suspensions and shorter spring hangers, ripping out the hangers doesn't happen much anymore, I don't know about that. Still undecided about the V-Clips.

Spring Pack thickness - I have found on Dexter's site that the 3500# spring thickness is 2.049. The 4000# spring pack thickness is 2.520. Now the difference is .471 or almost 1/2 inch which is about the thickness of the additional spring, 6 leaf's to 7. Adding in the 3 inch axle tube and I get, 5.5 inches, then add in the top spring plate thickness and a fudge factor for their measurements and enough left over to cinch the washers and nuts down with enough of the U bolt sticking our past the nut (maybe and inch or so) and 7 inch new U bolt length may be pushing it. @Hoopy Frood you're probably right 7 1/4 - 1/2 U bolt length is better.

Yup Lippert 4000# springs = $146.95 same dimensions. Vs e-trailer $ 169.95, Lippert is plus shipping, e-trailer is free shipping over $100 right now.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-01-2023 at 11:55 AM.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    V-Clips - The Lippert part number for these are https://store.lci1.com/ang-3313-x-33...9-l1813-103727
    I might get them and have them welded in, but then again I've read that since the change to Dexter suspensions and shorter spring hangers, ripping out the hangers doesn't happen much anymore, I don't know about that. Still undecided about the V-Clips.

Spring Pack thickness - I have found on Dexter's site that the 3500# spring thickness is 2.049. The 4000# spring pack thickness is 2.520. Now the difference is .471 or almost 1/2 inch which is about the thickness of the additional spring, 6 leaf's to 7. Adding in the 3 inch axle tube and I get, 5.5 inches, then add in the top spring plate thickness and a fudge factor for their measurements and enough left over to cinch the washers and nuts down with enough of the U bolt sticking our past the nut (maybe and inch or so) and 7 inch new U bolt length may be pushing it. @Hoopy Frood you're probably right 7 1/4 - 1/2 U bolt length is better.

Yup Lippert 4000# springs = $146.95 same dimensions. Vs e-trailer $ 169.95, Lippert is plus shipping, e-trailer is free shipping over $100 right now.
    Yeah, when I bought mine Etrailer was about $40 higher, so even though I had to pay shipping, it was still cheaper. And the time frame for delivery from Etrailer just wasn't going to work.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Steven@147: you're quite welcome! Seeing some of your additional thoughts here, I have some more for consideration. V-Clips, no need to buy. Your welder can make them right up out of bar stock. I don't run them because I boxed and gusseted my hangers after our suspension failure. I also run X-factors at all 3 points. You probably find it strange I have these versus building them myself, but I got a deal on them that I couldn't meet with the cost of steel, welding supplies, primer, paint, hardware and definitely my time. Glad I did too because I have had to remove them to repair the Ground Control 3 rear sensor and then for rebuilding the through-frame slide for the kitchen after it tore out! The split design of the X-factors made it easy. Point being, if you are considering X-factors, the hangers will need custom sized V-clips to not interfere with the X-factor installation.

One of the biggest improvements I made outside of the strengthening and better parts was to add the Roadmaster shock kit. These 5ers should leave the factory with them!! The kit is HEAVILY built! The axle brackets are an easy install, and do require longer U-bolts. The frame brackets are tougher, but doable with patience, good right-angle drill and extra long bit. What I personally did was use my welding clamps to get everything positioned, drilled and bolted just one corner of each, and then welded the brackets. If you do want to add the kit, great time to do so! One of the GD SRT team liked mine so much he put them on his! If you go this route and drill, do not use the thread-cutting hardware provided with the thin flange on the Lippert frame. Get the same diameter in Grade 5 bolts with washers and lock nuts.

Let me know if you need any other parts info.
    Last edited by geotex1; 03-02-2023 at 06:39 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the same thing on my 351M, moved to 8K springs. Just wanted to provide a link with some pictures and direct links to the parts that I used, which, Geo, I think is basically exactly the same as what you did/used.

Yes, I'm happy with my Roadmaster kit too, but didn't keep my springs from going flat. 3500 lb springs just don't seem up to task on these heavier trailers.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...815#post452815

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Did the same thing on my 351M, moved to 8K springs. Just wanted to provide a link with some pictures and direct links to the parts that I used, which, Geo, I think is basically exactly the same as what you did/used.

Yes, I'm happy with my Roadmaster kit too, but didn't keep my springs from going flat. 3500 lb springs just don't seem up to task on these heavier trailers.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...815#post452815
    On our 351M the 3500 lb. springs weren't up to the task because the trailer weight on the tires was over 14,000 lb. by a pretty substantial amount. Grand Design is really guilty of not providing sufficient suspension for these toyhaulers.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for the comments and links to other posts and parts. Read through the other posts listed, I guess I should have done more research and would have found what you guys already posted. I've figured out everything I'll need to do this. We move in 4 days to another city and CG, I'll order the parts when we get there and have them delivered to the CG, will be at the new site for a couple of months so I'll get it done then and repack the bearings while I'm at it.

When we had our sticks and bricks, I had my 900SqFt shop and parking area, and every tool I could possibly need. Well I don't have that anymore. Kind of difficult when your living in your rig and at the same time modifying it. And then when do you finally stop modifying your rig and decide enough is enough, and just enjoy it. The world may never know!! LoL's

One thing that just come to my mind, when I put on the 7 leaf 4000# springs, how much is it going to raise the RV? It's level now. Well maybe, maybe not that much. Will I have to adjust my pin box or Companion hitch to get her back level? I guess I'll find out.
    We'll be good to go for at least another year, probably put on another 12K miles for 2023. We are really looking forward to this year, going to meet up with good friends we were in the service with, haven't seen them in 30 years. Time goes by so fast!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I would add our weight info to go along with talk about replacing our springs and suspension components after 3 years. Our weight really hasn't changed that much over time.

Solitude 3350RL Actual
    Left Front 3,200
    Right Front 2,700
    Front Axle Left to Right Variance 500
    Front Axle 5,900
    Front Axle Tire Pressures 105
    Left Rear 3,300
    Right Rear 2,750
    Rear Axle Left to Right Variance 550
    Rear Axle 6,050
    Rear Axle Tire Pressures psi 105
    RV Front Axle to Rear Axle Variance 150
    Trailer Weight 11,950
    Trailer Pin Weight 3,550
    Trailer Total Weight 15,500
    Fresh Water Tank 1/3 Full

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Thanks guys for the comments and links to other posts and parts. Read through the other posts listed, I guess I should have done more research and would have found what you guys already posted. I've figured out everything I'll need to do this. We move in 4 days to another city and CG, I'll order the parts when we get there and have them delivered to the CG, will be at the new site for a couple of months so I'll get it done then and repack the bearings while I'm at it.

When we had our sticks and bricks, I had my 900SqFt shop and parking area, and every tool I could possibly need. Well I don't have that anymore. Kind of difficult when your living in your rig and at the same time modifying it. And then when do you finally stop modifying your rig and decide enough is enough, and just enjoy it. The world may never know!! LoL's

One thing that just come to my mind, when I put on the 7 leaf 4000# springs, how much is it going to raise the RV? It's level now. Well maybe, maybe not that much. Will I have to adjust my pin box or Companion hitch to get her back level? I guess I'll find out.
    We'll be good to go for at least another year, probably put on another 12K miles for 2023. We are really looking forward to this year, going to meet up with good friends we were in the service with, haven't seen them in 30 years. Time goes by so fast!
    If you bias with the 4K springs roadside and 3.5K curbside, it'll simply level the coach side-to-side. If you put 4K at all 4 points, it will raise things less than 1/2".
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast