User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time Rv owner needs enough power for starlink

Hi everyone, we just purchased a new 22MLE. We need to have enough power to run starlink for RV so my wife can work. It’s a bit overwhelming with some of the installations I have seen. We are looking for something simple like portable solar panels, upgrade batteries and install an inverter to power the starlink which uses about 60watts. Anyone have a simple solution?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crsylvia View Post
    Hi everyone, we just purchased a new 22MLE. We need to have enough power to run starlink for RV so my wife can work. It’s a bit overwhelming with some of the installations I have seen. We are looking for something simple like portable solar panels, upgrade batteries and install an inverter to power the starlink which uses about 60watts. Anyone have a simple solution?
    You will need at least 200 Ah of battery power to run Starlink for a day, even using solar to charge the batteries. You'll also need a 1000 watt sine wave inverter. You will need between 400 and 600 watts of solar to keep up with the discharge of the battery bank and at least 8-12 solid hours of strong sunshine.

I say 200 Ah battery bank because if it's cloudy, you will probably deplete the bank in a day and a half if you have LiFePO4 batteries, much less with lead acid batteries.

You are asking a simple question with a pretty complicated answer.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. 200AH is a good estimate. If you're using 60watts for 24hrs, that uses 120AH. There will be other loads on your 12v system, so extra is good. Obviously you'll want to plan the inverter size depending what AC loads you want to run off battery only (including other 12v loads like lighting and fridge), and then either proper solar or generator to recharge batteries. This all assumes you are dry camping (no hookups). If you are at an RV park with electric, nothing additional is needed.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @Crsylvia, looks like this is your first post, welcome to the forum. A lot will depend on how you camp. Do you frequently go off-grid and need full power for days at a time? If so I'm not sure you'll be able to find as you say "something simple" that will meet your needs. Perhaps you could provide a few more details about your plans. There are a lot of folks on this forum with solar experience who can help you with your questions.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the 22mle and welcome to the group. Looks like you got some really good info on your Star Link question.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trailer is stock 2023 with a solar panel nothing added so far. We camp in the 4 corners area Colorado and New Mexico trip 3 to 5 nights. Most areas do not have power or internet that why we need something to power a Starlink.
    I have looked at solar generators and from what I have seen they are not a good option lots of unhappy customers. So I was looking at a deep cycle battery lithium phosphate type with an inverter and portable solar panels.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for info we probably use Starlink 8 to 12 hours and small TV 2 to 4 hours max

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for info we probably use Starlink 8 to 12 hours and small TV 2 to 4 hours max
    A 1000W inverter generator would be a cheap and easy. 2000 or 2200W would give more options.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, if you are just using it for that and are wanting something simple, look into this route with a solar panel as an example:

"Solar Generator" with solar panel kit

Your wife could run Starlink for 8 hours a day for nearly a week with having the solar panel and could extend that. About 2 daya with NO recharge. No reconfiguring of your RV system at all. Plug and play.

There are many options like this (Jackery is really popular).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    A 1000W inverter generator would be a cheap and easy. 2000 or 2200W would give more options.
    I second the generator. Inverter generators are very quiet and efficient. It sounds like you need a consistent and reliable source of power which solar is not. When you start playing the “what if” game, I think you will find that you will want three things - a reliable charging source, a relatively robust storage bank, and an appropriately sized inverter. Most people underestimate the amount of power they will consume.

I would start with a small inverter generator, lithium compatible charger, 1k or 1.5k inverter, and a 200ah LiFePo4 battery. Once you see how much power you consume, start planning a more permanent solar solution. Later, when you run into a week of cloudy weather, you will have the generator as a backup.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast