User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F450 Stolen and Stripped / Vs RAM, GM Wrecker Steal

My title is a little wonky but I couldn't think of a better one, here's my question, wondering, puzzle. Did you happen to see the GDRV FB posting on the couple that had their F450 stolen and when the cops found what was left and it was stripped to the frame? Wife Tami asked me about our RAM 3500 Dually, could someone steal it by just backing up to it and tow it away? Well I don't know I couldn't answer her question?

From what I have read on the forum, the F450's are hard to find or get once ordered, I guess with the difficulty getting them, unscrupulous people are stealing them and stripping them for parts? On the FB post the owners said they didn't hear anything and just woke up to the truck being gone. Tami's question to me got me wondering - Could someone with a wrecker just back up to our RAM or any 1 Ton, GM, Ford, RAM and haul it off? Would the alarm go off? Does the alarm sense movement/vibrations?

Then I happen to glance at our next door neighbor, We both have RAM 3500 Dually, his is backed in to his site, ours is pulled into our site. Both are 4x4. Could someone with a wrecker back up to our RAM, lift the rear wheels and just drive off, would the front tires still roll? Since our neighbor backed into his site, someone couldn't just lift the front tires and drive off with it because the rear tires would be locked by the transmission drive line with the truck off. So this got me to wondering, is it better to back into your site with your tow vehicle overnight so a wrecker can't get behind it and lift the rear wheels?

I wonder how many trucks 1/2, 3/4, 1 Tons Dually' s are being stolen, and how are they being stolen?
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The past few months, this has been on our local and state news on a regular basis. Pickup truck theft on the raise big time. Seems to be mostly Rams being stolen in our area though. They showed a few camera surveillance footage and they are not stolen via a wrecker but by the electronic somehow. You see them walk up, quickly get in and within seconds, simply drive away. I guess with the VIN or maybe some other electronic means, they are able to hack the security. Pretty scary how quickly it happens. No wonder our insurance is sky high.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also be surprised if a great many were being stolen with a wrecker. But yes, the right piece of equipment could pick up the back of the truck and the front would roll unless you leave it in 4x4 all the time. It’s not the recommended way to tow one of these, but when has that been part of a thieve’s consideration.

There are also dollies that can be used, although I don’t know how many can handle the weight of the front or back of a dually.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of Super Dutys being stolen frequently in parts of Texas. I'm starting to think of finding an anti-theft device for my F450 whenever I finally get it. I haven't looked into this one too much yet, but some people were talking about Ravelco. I suppose you could always supplement with the club device on the steering wheel or a boot on the wheels. An aftermarket alarm might not be a bad idea either.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's your three best tips with modern trucks and theft: 1) put your key fobs, including spares, in RFID blocking pouches when not in use regardless of where they are - including your pocket; 2) obscure you VIN in the windshield (simple envelope or card is all it takes); and 3) make your OBD2 port inaccessible. The last is trickier, and there are a couple companies that make security covers. However, simply unbolting it and moving it out of the normal spot is really effective due to the confusion it causes! These are the no mod inhibitors but not full-proof. For more certainty, hidden disconnects for fuel (diesel or gas) or ignition (gas) are inexpensive and effective when installed by a knowledgeable person so they're not in plain sight! Magnetic switch and latching relay is all it takes. You use a latching relay so that it resets every time the ignition is turned off so you don't forget to activate the protective measure.

All trucks have become a major target because of the short supply of parts. RAMs have made the news because of the simplicity to trick them to keep them running without an actual fob, but it's not really any more difficult for the other two big badges.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    The past few months, this has been on our local and state news on a regular basis. Pickup truck theft on the raise big time. Seems to be mostly Rams being stolen in our area though. They showed a few camera surveillance footage and they are not stolen via a wrecker but by the electronic somehow. You see them walk up, quickly get in and within seconds, simply drive away. I guess with the VIN or maybe some other electronic means, they are able to hack the security. Pretty scary how quickly it happens. No wonder our insurance is sky high.
    Really, seems to me that would mean the thieves have some kind of device that generates a FOB signal?
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I would also be surprised if a great many were being stolen with a wrecker. But yes, the right piece of equipment could pick up the back of the truck and the front would roll unless you leave it in 4x4 all the time. It’s not the recommended way to tow one of these, but when has that been part of a thieve’s consideration.

There are also dollies that can be used, although I don’t know how many can handle the weight of the front or back of a dually.
    I know our RAM front driveshaft is unlocked unless its in 4x4, like you say the front wheels would roll, picking it up the rear wheels. Then again if they were using a wrecker, wouldn't they make a bunch of noise stealing it from right in front of your RV?
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-15-2023 at 07:58 AM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Really, seems to me that would mean the thieves have some kind of device that generates a FOB signal?
    Not generate, amplify. It's incredibly easy for anyone that has a basic understanding of radios and programming of modern vehicles. I hate to say it, for under $100 a tech-savvy thief can build a setup to take any Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, or RAM produced since about 2012.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Here's your three best tips with modern trucks and theft: 1) put your key fobs, including spares, in RFID blocking pouches when not in use regardless of where they are - including your pocket;
    Rob - what are RFID blocking puches ? Any samples to share/where to buy ? I'm not familiar with these ?

Thanks, Rob

Steve @Steven147 - thanks for sharing this alert.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe it or not, by accident I found out that I can unlock our 2018 RAM's doors by simply using one of those bic long neck lighters. I happen to be standing next to our RAM, with the key FOB in my pocket, I lit a cigarette with the lighter and the doors unlocked. I couldn't believe it either so i had to try it again a bunch of times. It didn't always work but 9 times out of 10 it did. But I did have the FOB in my pocket.

I haven't read up on the theft rate, but I wonder if it is more prevalent in or close to bigger cities? Where we are now is a very small rural town 60 + miles from a bigger city. Probably wouldn't make any difference. It's just that that news story Tami was telling me about got me to thinking.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast