User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of the family??

Well, I'm officially no longer a Grand Design owner. After 3.5 years, we sold our 351M today. It was extremely bittersweet, we're excited for our new RV, but our 351M was very, very good to us. 20K+ miles, at least 100 nights, perhaps more, and tons of good memories we made with it.

I just wanted to say, hopefully I don't get booted from this forum; it's far, FAR more active than the brand we went with, lots of knowledge here and some that hopefully I can share back in the years to come. I'd buy another GD without hesitation, in fact, we almost did (410TH), but there were just some features we really wanted that were only available in another brand. I think I'm the proud owner of the most expensive booth dinette in human history (one of the big "must haves" that's only available from a few niche brands).

Anyway, thank you all for the great help and suggestions through our years of ownership. Given that these things, from all manufacturers, are more similar than different (mostly using the same basic building blocks), I don't think the knowledge gained here will go to waste!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Well, I'm officially no longer a Grand Design owner. After 3.5 years, we sold our 351M today. It was extremely bittersweet, we're excited for our new RV, but our 351M was very, very good to us. 20K+ miles, at least 100 nights, perhaps more, and tons of good memories we made with it.

I just wanted to say, hopefully I don't get booted from this forum; it's far, FAR more active than the brand we went with, lots of knowledge here and some that hopefully I can share back in the years to come. I'd buy another GD without hesitation, in fact, we almost did (410TH), but there were just some features we really wanted that were only available in another brand. I think I'm the proud owner of the most expensive booth dinette in human history (one of the big "must haves" that's only available from a few niche brands).

Anyway, thank you all for the great help and suggestions through our years of ownership. Given that these things, from all manufacturers, are more similar than different (mostly using the same basic building blocks), I don't think the knowledge gained here will go to waste!
    You're more than welcome to stay and read, but no more posting since you defected! Just kidding! Your insight will undoubtedly help others!
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll let you hang with us. But you have to tell us what trailer lured you away from GD ?
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    You're more than welcome to stay and read, but no more posting since you defected! Just kidding! Your insight will undoubtedly help others!
    I echo this sentiment! You are a respected experienced member of this forum who has lots of direct knowledge to draw from. Pleasure to have you here.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    I echo this sentiment! You are a respected experienced member of this forum who has lots of direct knowledge to draw from. Pleasure to have you here.

Bill
    Which part? The last about not paying it the last about his insight? [emoji16]
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We'll let you hang with us. But you have to tell us what trailer lured you away from GD ?
    Yes please tell!

Pictures!

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post

Why why WHYYYYY. LOL
    All kidding aside, I hope you keep posting, I always liked your post. And I'm also curious on which brand you chose and how it compares.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So long as it doesn't run afoul of forum rules....

We bought a Luxe 44FB.

I'll attach two pictures, one the "pretty paint" and the other, one of the big reasons we went with Luxe, a dinette booth. My wife and I travel alone, and often work from the road. We really needed two spaces to work, the garage is great, but it's a single area, two people can't work in there at the same time. I despise chairs. Absolutely hate them; and, unfortunately, while they are super common in Class C's most 5th wheels do either super sofas and tables and chairs. I wanted a dinette, which basically got us to almost nobody in mainstream brands. We had a Class C for awhile and my wife and I just fell in love with a little dinette. Here's a hint, don't. I'll cost you dearly to get one in a 5th wheel!!

We looked at DRV (anyone who's seen my posts know how I feel about DRV, I wouldn't have traded our 351M even up for a DRV, WAY too many compromises and things done better in the GD to even consider it at the same price, let alone double!), Luxe, New Horizons and Spacecraft. Spacecraft is really meant for a semi, so that was quickly ruled out. Luxe and NH, our general feeling was that NH is better, but the price difference, to us, wasn't worth it. NH has started to put mini-splits into their units (instead of roof ACs), which is a FANTASTIC idea. It really changed the whole feel of the coach to have a more residential style AC. But not enough to justify another 100K. We also cross shopped a 410TH, and really liked that too (honestly, the space in that model is unmatched, it's amazing how roomy it is).

So, what swayed us one way vs the other. The things we really liked about the Luxe:

1) Dinette booth (no, I'm not kidding)
    2) Soft touch walls (these are really nice and way upscale the interior. I have no idea why more brands don't offer it, it's a 4K option on a Luxe, which tells me it costs them about 2K to do it, and it's really a big upgrade)
    3) Factory IS. I know you can work with GD and Morryde to do it, but it's a process. I did hear a rumor at the GD factory that it may be coming back as an option though....
    4) Woodwork might be a moderate level up from GD. Their cabinets/drawers are nice and probably "better", but the GD ones worked great for 3 years
    5) Floorplan. Again, subjective, but we liked the layout of the Luxe, it seems to be more designed for 2 people than a big family.
    6) Power cord reel (again, a nit, but I was getting tired of wrestling the snake).
    7) Heat pumps on all the ACs. We do most of our camping fall/winter/spring, so more cheap heat is better

I was impressed when I went in the basement of the Luxe. I would call it "well designed", wires are loomed well, things are labeled. Now, to be fair, I never had a single problem with the wiring/plumbing in our GD, but it always gave me a case of shivers when I went behind the wall. The Luxe wiring is, at least to my eyes, impressive compared to everything other than NH, which is also very good.

The gap between GD and Luxe, is, IMHO, not huge. GD could easily move up into their price range, and, again, IMHO, could probably do as well for less than they do because of their boutique build status.

We're in our 40's, I know this won't be our last RV. We'll see how the Luxe treats us, but, good or bad, when we are ready to change, GD will always be on the short list. We had problems, they all have problems, but nothing that I'd consider really shoddy workmanship, just wear/tear and a poor dealer who couldn't change a lightbulb with a full belt of tools.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221107_135750.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	45536

Name:	20221107_141114.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	45537

World's most expensive dinette? Perhaps!

Name:	20221107_141123.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	45538

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ​Thats a beauty! hope it treats you well
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a nice rig. No doubt you will enjoy it. No need to leave the forum as you still have lots of GD experience which can help others here.

Safe travels.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast