User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I converted our FW to disc. Night and day difference. Total stopping distance from 60 was a decrease of the length of the entire rig. It was a 3-4 "day" job for me because I worked on it when I could. Aside from great braking performance, you can easily inspect the inner bearing seal visually since its exposed. I recommend doing it, you will not regret it.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I converted my 2019 351M Momentum and would never again not have disc brakes. I also live in Colorado and the mountains are a different driving experience. A very noticeable stopping difference and much more "comfort" knowing I can stop more quickly if needed.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full profile rigs should come standard with triple 8k morryde is and disc brakes. The fact that some don’t is simply unacceptable as they are overweight and unsafe.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've never had drum breaks on an RV so I can't compare. We ordered our 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH with the disc breaks and 8k axles. I have the gain in the truck set to 7. So far we're happy with the breaks and no issues.

Dan
    Rivers To Ridges RV
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH-R
    2020 Ford F350

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One trip out west was enough for me to convert to disc brakes on our momentum. Bill at Performance was very helpful putting a kit together which I installed. If you are adept at DIY projects that include axles and bearings as well as wiring and plumbing hydraulic lines, you can install. Not too complicated but everything has to be right. Buy an extra set of pads. They are easy to inspect and change if they get close while you’re traveling. Night and day difference in stopping power. The drums are dangerously inadequate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing some thinking lately about the conversion as well.
    We are on our way home from a 4000 mile trip, had some steep grades, a couple 12% and even a 13%, plus alot of 5% to 7%.
    Took our time and was very careful and slow, did fine, struggled a little but again all fine, (aside from the ones that are in a hurry) oh well. Anyhow, planning on obviously doing brakes before our next big trip. just curious of an estimated cost?
    we have the 2019 337rls.
    thanks for the info.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing it yourself, or having it done? From what I've seen parts will run around $1,500-$2,500, depending on what brand, and where you buy. Installation would probably run another $800-$1,000.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFF&KRN View Post
    Doing some thinking lately about the conversion as well.
    We are on our way home from a 4000 mile trip, had some steep grades, a couple 12% and even a 13%, plus a lot of 5% to 7%.
    Took our time and was very careful and slow, did fine, struggled a little but again all fine, (aside from the ones that are in a hurry) oh well. Anyhow, planning on obviously doing brakes before our next big trip. just curious of an estimated cost?
    we have the 2019 337rls.
    thanks for the info.
    Mine wee done on our 2017 337RLS about 5 years ago using Bill at https://stopyourtrailer.com/ Kit a that time was about $1600 and installation labor at local trailer shop was about $600. I'm sure prices are up since then.

Disc brakes stop much more quickly and they don't fade with heavy or expended braking. They were well worth the cost.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In January of 2021, when I brought our coach home, the next day I had it over at a shop in Albuquerque to do the conversation. $2500.00 including all parts and labor.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it was not a question of whether I could afford it, rather could I afford not to do it. The electro magnets on the drum actuators can simply not provide adequate pressure on the shoes, imo. I cannot think of a better 2000 improvement in my fw.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast