User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the new setup from the dealer to storage location!

Second post! Made the trip from the dealer to the storage location yesterday without incident.
    Like many of you have said the F350 Dually towed the Solitude like a dream, hardly new it was there.
    Funny thing, after I did my walkaround checking blinkers and brake lights, etc., the guy who did the walkthru asked if we had our keys. We said No, and the last we saw them was in the RV on the dinnette. So he goes in and brings them to us along with the binder of Grand Design info on the unit. So we head down the road and about 2 miles in my wife notices the door rail was left in the extended position sticking out about a foot and a half! So we decide to pull over off the interstate/beltline that exists around Raleigh, NC to pull it in. Fortunately there was a very wide shoulder and it didn't take too long for a good lull in traffic to get back going.
    I did learn that driving down the road was much easier than backing this thing into our site at the storage location!! Even though I am used to backing up Travel Trailers this was a major challenge. Need to work on my angles and Practice, Practice Practice.
    More to come.
    Tim
    Tim & Sue..with pups Iris and Sam
    2019 Solitude 375RES; 2019 Ford F350 XLT Dually; B&W Companion 25K Hitch
    Previously camped with a 1993 26' Dutchman TT and 2007 Trailmanor 2720SL
    Retiring in 1.5+ years
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...pic22370_7.gif http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCVAsm.jpg

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttooley View Post
    Second post! Made the trip from the dealer to the storage location yesterday without incident.
    Like many of you have said the F350 Dually towed the Solitude like a dream, hardly new it was there.
    Funny thing, after I did my walkaround checking blinkers and brake lights, etc., the guy who did the walkthru asked if we had our keys. We said No, and the last we saw them was in the RV on the dinnette. So he goes in and brings them to us along with the binder of Grand Design info on the unit. So we head down the road and about 2 miles in my wife notices the door rail was left in the extended position sticking out about a foot and a half! So we decide to pull over off the interstate/beltline that exists around Raleigh, NC to pull it in. Fortunately there was a very wide shoulder and it didn't take too long for a good lull in traffic to get back going.
    I did learn that driving down the road was much easier than backing this thing into our site at the storage location!! Even though I am used to backing up Travel Trailers this was a major challenge. Need to work on my angles and Practice, Practice Practice.
    More to come.
    Tim
    Glad it went well, Tim. I've learned to do a final walk-around the trailer just before pulling away. That one habit has saved me multiple times from doing something stupid--something I'm apparently genetically empowered to do on a regular basis.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats. Yup , there's a definite learning curve to backing these things. I've drug bumper pulls 40+ years and can pretty much stick one anywhere. Still find myself having to pull forward to correct the fiver. Just take your time and have a watchful eye.
    Happy Camping.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we head down the road and about 2 miles in my wife notices the door rail was left in the extended position sticking out about a foot and a half!
    Tim
    Hi Tim,

We have settled into a smooth tow (more than once) only to look in the right mirror and see that "pedestrian whacker" door rail sticking out! We have all done it . Backing these thing is all about "go slow" and practice always helps.

Welcome to this forum BTW !

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was a helicopter pilot for 45 years and the last thing you do before getting in to fly is a walk around. When you do the walk around, get away from the vehicles not right next to it. You'll see more of the big picture. We both do the walk around independently.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy the new trailer ttooley, the 375 is a palace on wheels! I've pulled mine a total of about 2000 miles now and backing up is getting easier and easier. After years of pull behinds and boats a fifth wheel is a whole different animal but practice makes perfect, you'll be fine...after all your pulling with a Ford!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    Congrats. Yup , there's a definite learning curve to backing these things. I've drug bumper pulls 40+ years and can pretty much stick one anywhere. Still find myself having to pull forward to correct the fiver. Just take your time and have a watchful eye.
    Happy Camping.
    In tractor trailer training they tell you pull up as many times as it takes. The definition of a successful back is one that you did no damage. Also get out and check your blind side as many times as it takes. I can back an 80 ft rig easier that our 19 ft boat. Cheers!
    Neil and Sheila
    2018 Reflection 303RLS - 2nd A/C
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Double Cab, Short Box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More to come.
    Tim
    I predict that not only will you get this down quickly, but you’ll also prefer backing the 5er over the tt. Congratulations on your new solitude! Woohoo!!
    Neil and Sheila
    2018 Reflection 303RLS - 2nd A/C
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Double Cab, Short Box

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guzinta View Post
    I can back an 80 ft rig easier that our 19 ft boat. Cheers!
    Haha this is so true. Even better is try to back a single empty jet ski trailer down a long ramp behind a pickup....I sold the darn thing lol
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More to come.
    Tim
    Congrats on the new rig. We went from a tent to a 32' 5th wheel. First overnight was a pull thru. I thought I was a pro. 2nd trip we arrived at night about 8:00 p.m.(2000) in the dark, after the third attempt and the wife saying, "turn this way" knowing I could not see her and had no idea what "this way" was, I did the drive of shame around the loop again. Fellow campers came out and were very helpful. There is a learning curve. My routine now is to pull up to the camp spot, get out, walk the site (don't forget to look up and see if there are any tree branches etc), talk it over with the wife and identify any potential issues, how far from the pedestal or trees to allow the slide to extend, awnings, where is the sewer hook up is etc, and then we discuss the plan. This has worked well as we both know where we want the RV to be in relation to the specific site. If I have to make the drive of shame again I will, as there is no hurry. Now our routine to walk the site, discuss, position the unit and back it in.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it, but my recommendation for departure is you and you traveling partner make a checklist and departure routine which works for both of you and stick with it. Last thing I do as a driver is a final walk around and check, locks, doors, slides, stabilizers ect. before I get behind the wheel and put the TV in drive.
    Last edited by GeoffnCheri; 03-15-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired