User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway

I'm looking to take advantage of this time off work and school during these doom and gloom times. I come from AL and plan on driving the Blue Ridge Parkway to VA and maybe even venture farther north. I plan on taking two Honda EU2200i generators and was hoping to find some good boondocking sites. I cannot seem to find a good resource for this. Any recommendations? Also anyone that has used two Honda EU2200i in tandem with thoughts? This will be my first trip using them on my 311BHS.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried Campendium.com and Free Roam a App. ? Both are great sources to find boondocking sites.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck.

The further north you come, the more you will find shut down from this virus.

All campgrounds in PA are closed until further notice, as of today.

Also, not many boondocking areas in the north east as most land is privately owned or no overnight camping allowed on state/federal alnd.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harvest Hosts was a site mentioned some time back that would hook you up with farms or private properties to boondock.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Blue Ridge Parkway is a slow and crooked snake of a road. Sure is beautiful, but I have no desire to go very far in such terrain. I don't even want to take that route driving a car. I used to work in the area, and would sometimes jump off the interstate and drive The Parkway for 30-40 miles at a time.

I feel the same way about the Natchez Trace Parkway that's close to our home. I'm good as far as Tupelo (100 mi.), but it's otherwise boring south of there.

Things are very uncertain right now. We just put off our trip to our RV for next week. There's plenty of honey do's and spring cleaning to get caught up on at home.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bamaman is correct in that it is a beautiful drive but the scenery is much the same and the road gets tedious. We would also jump off onto the interstate for times to "burn some miles".

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the previous post. The Blueridge Parkway offers beautiful views but is windy as heck and not the kind of road I would really want to tow on for long distances. I would at least consider calling up one of the visitor centers and get their take on which stretches are better suited for towing. They would also know of camping along the way. Cherokee NC is just off the parkway and there are plenty of regular campgrounds in the area.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Tim & Sue..with pups Iris and Sam
    2019 Solitude 375RES; 2019 Ford F350 XLT Dually; B&W Companion 25K Hitch
    Previously camped with a 1993 26' Dutchman TT and 2007 Trailmanor 2720SL
    Retiring in 1.5+ years
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...pic22370_7.gif http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCVAsm.jpg

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some short tunnels on the parkway. Before taking a trailer on it you better research where and how short they are. Otherwise you could end up having to back that triler a long ways before you can get turned around.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    There are some short tunnels on the parkway. Before taking a trailer on it you better research where and how short they are. Otherwise you could end up having to back that triler a long ways before you can get turned around.
    All tunnels with low clearances are south of Asheville, NC. Pulled our 27 RL north of there last spring, no issue except some low branches intruding on the travel lanes. Doubt you will find boondocking.
    Good luck,
    Dave
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttooley View Post
    I agree with the previous post. The Blueridge Parkway offers beautiful views but is windy as heck and not the kind of road I would really want to tow on for long distances. I would at least consider calling up one of the visitor centers and get their take on which stretches are better suited for towing. They would also know of camping along the way. Cherokee NC is just off the parkway and there are plenty of regular campgrounds in the area.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm from the general area of WNC close to south end of the parkway. Got word today that campgrounds (state and private) have been ordered to close. Several years ago, we did the entire parkway on our Road Glide. It was beautiful and we enjoyed it, but as others have said, it can be a little tedious at times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast