User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's talk battery capacity

I am putting a new 800 watt solar system on my 29RS in March. I have been shopping for batteries. I was considering getting two 200Ah batteries, but just saw these Chins on Amazon. I could get two of these 300Ah batteries for a similar price. Is there a downside to this plan? Anybody else have a better idea? Thanks.

https://smile.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Bat...08FMVRJHZ&th=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheap lithium batteries are definitely a high dollar risk. They are sometimes poorly assembled, sometimes have inadequate wiring and possibly a poor quality BMS which is the fail safe system on a good quality system. I would not invest that kind of money in an unproven battery.
    Last edited by Scramjet; 01-24-2021 at 09:41 PM.
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will Prowse does some excellent battery reviews and comparisons on his YouTube channel. You may wish to spend some time on there. He does recommend other batteries beside BB.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoj...q8kmJme-5dnN0Q
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't buy any LiFePO4 battery that I hadn't seen torn down and tested.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be concerned with that unit being made with grade b cells and also question the quality of the internal construction. BMS is also a concern. Not saying it's of poor quality, just stating it's an unknown.

Chinese isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm waiting on Chinese cells to build a DIY 900ah 12v battery bank. The cells are grade A and new and after BMS, I'll have paid about $2300 total for the bank. Will have to wait a few months, though. It's a bit above a quick DIY, but I'll save thousands over the pre-built units (and forgo any stateside warranty).

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kfwbird View Post
    I am putting a new 800 watt solar system on my 29RS in March. I have been shopping for batteries. I was considering getting two 200Ah batteries, but just saw these Chins on Amazon. I could get two of these 300Ah batteries for a similar price. Is there a downside to this plan? Anybody else have a better idea? Thanks.

https://smile.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Bat...08FMVRJHZ&th=1
    Have you read my post about "Cheap Batteries are Coming..."? Your question is exactly the point I was making in the post.

There are a couple of advantages to buying these batteries as opposed to buying the cheapest batteries direct from China. The main advantage is they are available now versus waiting for 8 weeks to get them shipped direct from China. The other advantage is that if they are defective, you could get them replaced quickly because of Amazon's return policy.

One of the ways to look at whether you are getting a good deal or not, is to compare the cost per 100 amp hours to the cost of a 100ah Battle Born battery. In this case you are paying $428 per 100 ah. Is saving ~ 50% on your batteries worth it to you?

Based on the fact you can buy them from Amazon, and you can get them and test them immediately. I would probably buy these batteries, test them and return them if they don't meet your expectations. If they test well, then they will probably last the full 10 years of their warranty, however, I would also be aware that the warranty may not be worth the pixels that it is printed on.

Two technical notes: depending on how high your expected current draw will be, you may be better off buying 3 - 200ah batteries versus 2 - 300ah batteries to reduce the current draw from each battery. The reason I recommend this is to reduce the chance of over heating the internal battery components in a high current draw installation.

Also, is there any way you could increase your Solar wattage? It seems that 800 Watts might be a bit light for a 600ah battery bank. Maybe you could get higher wattage panels in the same sized panel or maybe even bigger panels if you have roof space available.

Please keep us informed as to which batteries you choose and how well your choice works out.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    I would be concerned with that unit being made with grade b cells and also question the quality of the internal construction. BMS is also a concern. Not saying it's of poor quality, just stating it's an unknown.

Chinese isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm waiting on Chinese cells to build a DIY 900ah 12v battery bank. The cells are grade A and new and after BMS, I'll have paid about $2300 total for the bank. Will have to wait a few months, though. It's a bit above a quick DIY, but I'll save thousands over the pre-built units (and forgo any stateside warranty).

Please let us know how much you save by going this route and how well the batteries perform.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Please let us know how much you save by going this route and how well the batteries perform.
    I sure will. I can say I am confident in the sale so far. Went through Alibaba through one of the recommended sellers from Will's DIY Solar forum and the level of service I've received from the seller so far is fantastic.

If all goes well, I will have saved about $6,500 over a similar sized Battleborn buy (9 baterries of 12v @ 100ah @ $950/ea, respectively).

I am including the cost of BMS, frieght to texas, and cells as well as the equipment I'll need to top balance and test the cells. Lots more work, but I like projects.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Have you read my post about "Cheap Batteries are Coming..."? Your question is exactly the point I was making in the post.

There are a couple of advantages to buying these batteries as opposed to buying the cheapest batteries direct from China. The main advantage is they are available now versus waiting for 8 weeks to get them shipped direct from China. The other advantage is that if they are defective, you could get them replaced quickly because of Amazon's return policy.

One of the ways to look at whether you are getting a good deal or not, is to compare the cost per 100 amp hours to the cost of a 100ah Battle Born battery. In this case you are paying $428 per 100 ah. Is saving ~ 50% on your batteries worth it to you?

Based on the fact you can buy them from Amazon, and you can get them and test them immediately. I would probably buy these batteries, test them and return them if they don't meet your expectations. If they test well, then they will probably last the full 10 years of their warranty, however, I would also be aware that the warranty may not be worth the pixels that it is printed on.

Two technical notes: depending on how high your expected current draw will be, you may be better off buying 3 - 200ah batteries versus 2 - 300ah batteries to reduce the current draw from each battery. The reason I recommend this is to reduce the chance of over heating the internal battery components in a high current draw installation.

Also, is there any way you could increase your Solar wattage? It seems that 800 Watts might be a bit light for a 600ah battery bank. Maybe you could get higher wattage panels in the same sized panel or maybe even bigger panels if you have roof space available.

Please keep us informed as to which batteries you choose and how well your choice works out.
    Thank you for your advice. I had read your article and viewed your spreadsheet about the value of these cheaper Chinese batteries. I might just drop back to 2-200ah batteries as I am at my price-point for this system. I liked these Chin batteries because they have a facility in California (along with a 10-year warranty). I will be happy to let you know how things go. I am also purchasing this solar kit. https://www.continuousresources.com/...840w-solar-kit Any suggestions are appreciated. I am a completely new to this, but have watched many you-tube videos.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Will Prowess video seems to argue in favor of having the 600AH (rather than 400AH) but not charging the batteries all the way to increase the life of your battery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf9N9zBgyB8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast