User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kfwbird View Post
    Thank you for your advice. I had read your article and viewed your spreadsheet about the value of these cheaper Chinese batteries. I might just drop back to 2-200ah batteries as I am at my price-point for this system. I liked these Chin batteries because they have a facility in California (along with a 10-year warranty). I will be happy to let you know how things go. I am also purchasing this solar kit. https://www.continuousresources.com/...840w-solar-kit Any suggestions are appreciated. I am a completely new to this, but have watched many you-tube videos.
    Buying three of the 200ah batteries would keep you at the same price point as the two 300ah (almost) and gives you the added advantage of 200ah extra storage and improves the safety of your system by drawing less energy from each battery in a "High Current" draw situation. The only reason I suggest three batteries instead of two is to minimize the risk of the manufacturer using less robust components inside the battery and the batteries getting warm. If you drop down to the two 200ah batteries, you will still be drawing current from only two batteries instead of spreading the current draw among three batteries (keeping the whole system cooler).

As far as the package goes, the first thing I noticed is that Dicor is included with the kit, Dicor is not recommended for the Grand Design roofs, Alpha Systems sealants are recommended for the Grand Design roofs (you might get them to substitute the Alpha Systems for the Dicor).

Otherwise, all the components look good with the exception of the Solar panels being only 210 Watts. If you are not constrained by the size of these panels, you can get 325 (+/-) Watt panels for less $ per Watt than these 210 Watt panels and not increase the size my very much (6 inches +/-).

Have you priced the components yourself? If you put together a list and contacted a Victron distributor, they might offer you a package discount (I used PKYS.com for my Victron products).

If you do decide to get higher wattage panels check the specs on your Solar Charge controller to ensure you don't exceed the wattage the Controller can handle.

I know this is a lot to think about, but I just want you to have the best system you can get.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. A lot to think about. I will try pricing this out. And thanks for the tip on the Dicor! Who makes the 325 watt panels? I could not find any on Amazon.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. A lot to think about. I will try pricing this out. And thanks for the tip on the Dicor! Who makes the 325 watt panels? I could not find any on Amazon.
    Yes, you will need to do a Google search. I bought my Canadian Solar panels (305 Watt) from Northern AZ Sun and Wind (maybe Solar and Wind) a few years ago. These panels are 305 Watts at 32 volts and they had very good low irradiance performance, I am very happy with my panels.

Every year the Wattage of Solar panels increases due to higher efficiencies, so don't focus on the 325 Watts, but panels around that Wattage, for example: you may find (essentially) the same panels at 10 Watts lower that offer a better price per Watt to be a better deal than the 325 Watt panel.

Here is an example: Canadian Solar 315 Watt panel for $173.00, that works out to $0.54 cents per watt (a VERY Good Price!). Most likely you will need to add shipping to your cost, but you will still have a fantastic panel for a very good price.

Note: this is just the first panel I found when searching for "Canadian Solar 305 Watt".

PS: I bought my panels at $0.69 cents per Watt plus shipping (just to give you a point of reference).
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 01-25-2021 at 01:59 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your advice. I had read your article and viewed your spreadsheet about the value of these cheaper Chinese batteries. I might just drop back to 2-200ah batteries as I am at my price-point for this system. I liked these Chin batteries because they have a facility in California (along with a 10-year warranty). I will be happy to let you know how things go. I am also purchasing this solar kit. https://www.continuousresources.com/...840w-solar-kit Any suggestions are appreciated. I am a completely new to this, but have watched many you-tube videos.
    Solar kit: Looks great, but very expensive. Mainly because of the wireless option. If you're OK w Bluetooth only, you don't need the Cerbo GX and VE Bus Smart Dongle.
    2019 RAM 3500
    2020 Reflexion 31MB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12