User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any 230RL Owners Have the 12 Cubic Ft. Refer Option Upgrade?

We are looking at the 230RL, both new and used. The GD website shows an option for a 12 cu ft refer in place of the standard 8 cu ft refer. However, as I scan the web, I don't see for sale even one new or used 230RL that is equipped with the 12 cu ft option. Looking at the floorplan, in order to build a 230RL with the wider 12 cu ft refer, the dinette booth width would have to be reduced by probably about a foot or so. I am curious if GD has actually built any 230RL units with the 12 cu ft. Does anybody out in the forum have a 230RL with the larger refer? If yes, how does the reduced size dinette feel as far as spaciousness?

We owned a Cedar Creek for about 10 years and that unit had the residential refer option. We had a 14 cu ft Amana that ran on an inverter. We needed four golf cart batteries to support the draw of the refer along with the other 12V system items in the Cedar Creek. Anyway, we really liked the convenience of making less frequent grocery stops. The main issue with the 8 cu ft standard refer is the freezer space. The refer space is probably adequate, but the freezer is quite small.

I think a 12 cu ft two-way refer (propane/electric) is probably the best of all worlds in that you get some extra space but still retain the benefits of a two-way system. So no need for all the extra battery power.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure where you see the larger option, but if you look at the floorplan, there is no option,.

Never had the 12 cubic option. Not on their Build your Own page, not on the order sheets.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/shoppi...orplan/5/55383
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 260 Rd has a forced option for the 12 cu.ft. fridge. In my opinion it's a waste in a trailer of that size. I could and would easily do with an 8 cu ft box. Also the fans on the large fridge draw a lot of juice off the battery. I tried boondocking on two batteries and even being mindful of electric use both were drained in a day and a half.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to the GD website for the 230RL floorplan. I then clicked on the Specs / Features / Packages link where the larger refer is shown as an option. The page does show the larger refer as a forced option on the 260RD. I did not work through the website to the Build Your Own page, so I agree that it looks like the 12 cu ft is not an option for the 230RL. I guess we will have to work with the 8 cu ft refer or look to move up in length to the 260RD.

Interesting to see Wicked Ace note the higher 12V draw from the larger fridge, although I am not sure why simple cooling fans would be such a draw as a fan motor usually does not draw much power.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at the 230 but discovered a lot more room in the 260RD and the 12 cu ft fridge with only a very little more weight and not huge difference in price. I am going with the 260.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We studied a 230 at a local dealer and were not crazy about the inability to manipulate the TV into a viewing position that was square to the recliners in the rear. The 260 gets you further away from the TV and gives a more square viewing alignment by reversing the recliners and dining booth. We also liked the larger dinette booth and larger fridge, although I don't read a lot of great things about Norcold fridges. Lots of people seem to call them NeverCold instead of Norcold.

We would like to stay as short as possible, but the 260 offers enough extra benefits for us vs. the 230 to likely get us to move up to its longer size. We have yet to see a 260 in person.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

230 vs. 260

Quote Originally Posted by my12by60 View Post
    We studied a 230 at a local dealer and were not crazy about the inability to manipulate the TV into a viewing position that was square to the recliners in the rear. The 260 gets you further away from the TV and gives a more square viewing alignment by reversing the recliners and dining booth. We also liked the larger dinette booth and larger fridge, although I don't read a lot of great things about Norcold fridges. Lots of people seem to call them NeverCold instead of Norcold.

We would like to stay as short as possible, but the 260 offers enough extra benefits for us vs. the 230 to likely get us to move up to its longer size. We have yet to see a 260 in person.
    We thought the 230 was the One until he spent a lot of time sitting in both side by side with no sales people to bug us. The 260 won hands down. I would rather it had the 8 cu ft fridge and I don’t know much about nor cold but would think that in 2020 they would have fixed issues or GD wouldn’t use them. BTW, they fixed the crowded two pedestal dinette table in the 2020 260 to a single pedestal that rotaries and raises and lowers!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I agree that Norcold should have its act together by now, hopefully. I saw the new dinette pedestal on a youtube review of the 260 and it looks really functional (less chance for a bad knee slam). We are anxious to see a 260 in person instead of on youtube.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 260 feels way larger and is only 1’ 8” longer and 280 lbs heavier

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased the 2019 260 and are happy with it. Preferred it’s layout with larger sofa. Didn’t care about the larger fridge because more gasket could mean more problems in future. Also, if you are looking in the fridge for a particular item, you have to open two doors to search. There is a vertical middle bar that seals the gaskets when the doors close. It can get stuck in the wrong position and then the fridge can’t stay cold. It’s a minor detail, but wasn’t shown to us by any salesperson or during our PDI.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast