User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my12by60 View Post
    Three Gs - With your Ram 2500 short bed and use of the Anderson, it sounds like you have no need to use the Turning Point swivel feature. That is good to know as the Ram 2500 is one of the trucks we are looking at. I know the Anderson and the swivel feature cannot be used together. Your payload sticker is at 2022. Have you ever checked your travel-loaded pin weight? Seems like with just over 2,000 lbs of payload you may close to the payload limit.
    That is correct... I do not use the Turning Point swivel.

Concerning Payload: I have never weighed the trailer or pin weight. I certainly may be close to maximum or possibly over the stated payload sticker? Ok, but more importantly ...... the fact is when I drop the trailer onto that Anderson ball hitch the truck wheel well drops down only about 1.5 to 2” ! Without the check of my tape measure one could hardly tell it’s even moved. Not even close to any rear sag. The 230rl front actually sits a little high when attached. No doubt, I feel VERY safe with this set up and it clearly could handle much more weight. Maybe it’s that heavy diesel upfront or those coils?. Per sticker ratings: Front axle is 6,000lb and rear is 6500lbs. GVWR is 10,000. Rated tow pull is over 17,000 lbs. Let me also add - I’m somewhat a conservative driver, safety conscious and are familiar with the real hazards and rules of overloading a tow vehicle and/or associated trailer. (I traded in a previous vehicle for this Ram 2500 for those very reasons..... I had a set up that was unsafe!)
    And, IMHO... I would not use a 1500 set-up with the 230RL, however a 3500 is definitely overkill.
    Would be happy to post photos etc.
    Rob

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info, guys. Sounds like the 230rl is good to go with either the gas or diesel Ram 2500. Shutterbug, I appreciate the detail on pulling the Ike grade with the gas engine and it makes sense why you went gas vs. diesel. Gas vs. diesel is almost a push for us based on how we will be using the truck. Our choice just may come down to whichever presents the best deal as we will likely be shopping for a lightly used truck vs. a brand new truck.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Gs View Post
    ...however a 3500 is definitely overkill.
    Rob
    I would have to disagree with you on that. I started out with a 1500 towing this 230rl. Newbie mistake, I had never had a 5th wheel before and based all my calculations on the charts RAM provides and not the sticker. So I learned the hard way, and before buying a new truck I spent alot of time researching and understanding payload and what my 'true' weights were.
    *Keep in mind that I'm referring to the most common type of truck bought these days, 4x4 crew cab. I also have the heavier laramie trim. If you have a lower trim, 2x2, quad or single cab, those would all change the equation of course.

Here's how I broke mine down:

My weight - 200lbs
    My wife's weight - 125lbs
    Pin Weight fully loaded (i.e. 2000lbs cargo and full water tank) - ~1800lbs
    Generator - 110lbs
    Hitch - 160lbs
    Running boards - 180lbs
    7 Gallon jug of fresh water - ~60lbs
    Cooler full of beer/soda/etc.. - ~25lbs
    Extra tools - ~25lbs
    Misc cabin cargo (coats, water bottles, camera gear, misc) - ~50lbs
    Tonneau truck bed cover - 60lbs

Total: 2795lbs

When I was looking at RAMs, I literally looked at 75% of the 2500s on the lot with the diesel, 2159 was the highest payload on the lot. With my load out above, I would have been 25% over my payload with a 230rl (a "half ton" towable trailer). This absolutely dictated that a 3500 was required if choosing the diesel option.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree with shutterbug. I have been working through the same calcs for our new set up. With our old tow vehicle (F350 dually diesel), we never had to crunch the numbers closely because the dually payload is so high. But now that we are trying to downsize both the tow vehicle and fifth wheel, I am studying things much more in detail. The main eye opener has been that the payload sticker on so many trucks is as much as 300lbs below the brochure payload. The second surprise has been that many so fifth wheel models weigh more on the scale (pin weight) than the brochure pin weight. The combination of these two factors can hit the payload calc for 500 to 600lbs vs. published brochure figures.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree with shutterbug. I have been working through the same calcs for our new set up. With our old tow vehicle (F350 dually diesel), we never had to crunch the numbers closely because the dually payload is so high. But now that we are trying to downsize both the tow vehicle and fifth wheel, I am studying things much more in detail. The main eye opener has been that the payload sticker on so many trucks is as much as 300lbs below the brochure payload. The second surprise has been that many so fifth wheel models weigh more on the scale (pin weight) than the brochure pin weight. The combination of these two factors can hit the payload calc for 500 to 600lbs vs. published brochure figures.
    One thing I did learn when looking at both a new truck and fifth wheels in general. Most will tell you that 20 to 25% of GVWR of the fifth wheel trailer will be your hitch weight. With all the "half ton" towables I saw the published hitch weight works out to about 18%. In real life every person I spoke to towing a "half ton " fifth wheel weighed in about 18% hitch weight. With that unscientific and general poling data I can say 18% of GVWR is a more true guide when calculating what you can safely tow. BTW.... I'm at 18% of loaded weight with my gear and water tank 1/3 +/- full (1524/8480). I'm still have 350# payload unused and 3000# under max tow weight....YMMV
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 08-26-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my12by60, the one other thing you should keep in mind while evaluating these 150 series reflections and an accompanying tow vehicle, is that with a newer 2500/3500 truck from any of the manufacturers, the camper is going to ride nose high. The 150 series ('half ton' series) ride lower to account for the lower bed height of most half tons.

I'm comfortable with mine now after several adjustments, but it's still not level. I've attached a photo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ram3inchNoseHigh.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	22183

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize to the OP and anyone else following this thread. Of course this thread concerns 230Rl owners and refrigerator options. I was reading the discourse on Half Ton Trailers and tow vehicles and didn't think twice when I started chiming in.
    The polite and correct thing to do is start your own thread asking about hitch weights et al. Again...sorry
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No apologies needed, wicked. The thread has moved in various directions, but I am learning from all the comments.

Shutterbug - What adjustments can be made to reduce the nose high issue? You don't look too badly out of position in the picture, but I can notice a bit of nose high. Is your truck suspension stock or do you have some extra lift?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Gs View Post
    That is correct... I do not use the Turning Point swivel.

Concerning Payload: I have never weighed the trailer or pin weight. I certainly may be close to maximum or possibly over the stated payload sticker? Ok, but more importantly ...... the fact is when I drop the trailer onto that Anderson ball hitch the truck wheel well drops down only about 1.5 to 2” ! Without the check of my tape measure one could hardly tell it’s even moved. Not even close to any rear sag. The 230rl front actually sits a little high when attached. No doubt, I feel VERY safe with this set up and it clearly could handle much more weight. Maybe it’s that heavy diesel upfront or those coils?. Per sticker ratings: Front axle is 6,000lb and rear is 6500lbs. GVWR is 10,000. Rated tow pull is over 17,000 lbs. Let me also add - I’m somewhat a conservative driver, safety conscious and are familiar with the real hazards and rules of overloading a tow vehicle and/or associated trailer. (I traded in a previous vehicle for this Ram 2500 for those very reasons..... I had a set up that was unsafe!)
    And, IMHO... I would not use a 1500 set-up with the 230RL, however a 3500 is definitely overkill.
    Would be happy to post photos etc.
    Rob
    For what it's worth- I have towed our 230rl with a 2019 F150 supercab for about 10,000 miles this year alone without any problems. Been to the mountains in southern Colorado, to the flatlands of Florida. It will run 70-75 mph all day long. Bad news is that at that speed I only get about 10mpg. But gas is cheaper than diesel, and easier to find the right pump at the gas station. Plus my car insurance went down considerably when we traded in a 7 year old diesel truck.
    and no, I do not use the turning point hitch. 6.5 bed and it is not needed.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No apologies needed, wicked. The thread has moved in various directions, but I am learning from all the comments.

Shutterbug - What adjustments can be made to reduce the nose high issue? You don't look too badly out of position in the picture, but I can notice a bit of nose high. Is your truck suspension stock or do you have some extra lift?
    I only adjusted the hitch height. You could block your axles or potentially put larger wheels on (I may look into that).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast