User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    One thing I did learn when looking at both a new truck and fifth wheels in general. Most will tell you that 20 to 25% of GVWR of the fifth wheel trailer will be your hitch weight. With all the "half ton" towables I saw the published hitch weight works out to about 18%. In real life every person I spoke to towing a "half ton " fifth wheel weighed in about 18% hitch weight. With that unscientific and general poling data I can say 18% of GVWR is a more true guide when calculating what you can safely tow. BTW.... I'm at 18% of loaded weight with my gear and water tank 1/3 +/- full (1524/8480). I'm still have 350# payload unused and 3000# under max tow weight....YMMV
    And you’re liking the way it drives? I too have the hdpp (2500 payload) and am liking your numbers! Also will be going with the AUH.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    I would have to disagree with you on that. I started out with a 1500 towing this 230rl. Newbie mistake, I had never had a 5th wheel before and based all my calculations on the charts RAM provides and not the sticker. So I learned the hard way, and before buying a new truck I spent alot of time researching and understanding payload and what my 'true' weights were.
    *Keep in mind that I'm referring to the most common type of truck bought these days, 4x4 crew cab. I also have the heavier laramie trim. If you have a lower trim, 2x2, quad or single cab, those would all change the equation of course.

Here's how I broke mine down:

My weight - 200lbs
    My wife's weight - 125lbs
    Pin Weight fully loaded (i.e. 2000lbs cargo and full water tank) - ~1800lbs
    Generator - 110lbs
    Hitch - 160lbs
    Running boards - 180lbs
    7 Gallon jug of fresh water - ~60lbs
    Cooler full of beer/soda/etc.. - ~25lbs
    Extra tools - ~25lbs
    Misc cabin cargo (coats, water bottles, camera gear, misc) - ~50lbs
    Tonneau truck bed cover - 60lbs

Total: 2795lbs

When I was looking at RAMs, I literally looked at 75% of the 2500s on the lot with the diesel, 2159 was the highest payload on the lot. With my load out above, I would have been 25% over my payload with a 230rl (a "half ton" towable trailer). This absolutely dictated that a 3500 was required if choosing the diesel option.
    Can't argue with the math! And most importantly, if the truck is handling well and you are feeling safe (in control), than that's what is important. I would agree with those payload statistics for new trucks. But for whatever reason, despite the actual listed payload sticker on my truck, it handles superbly and feels right. The only slight negative is that the trailer sits a bit nose high as my truck bed and anderson ball hitch sit very high off the ground (and again, rear end hardly drops at all). So, bottom line, I'm very happy with the 2500 diesel for towing my 230RL. Maybe others could also benefit from any additional driving & handling comments you may have concerning the 1500 you originally had? Thanks, Rob
    Rob
    230RL, Fifth Wheel, 2018 yr.
    Ram 2500 short bed, 4x4, Cummins Diesel, 2015 yr.
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Half Ton View Post
    And you’re liking the way it drives? I too have the hdpp (2500 payload) and am liking your numbers! Also will be going with the AUH.
    It drives great, I certainly don't feel overloaded. It pulls the load with no problem and I can easily pass tractor trailers on steep grades. Mileage is decent considering I'm towing. I do use premium when pulling and it does allow the engine to adjust for more power.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 08-29-2019 at 04:23 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    For what it's worth- I have towed our 230rl with a 2019 F150 supercab for about 10,000 miles this year alone without any problems. Been to the mountains in southern Colorado, to the flatlands of Florida. It will run 70-75 mph all day long. Bad news is that at that speed I only get about 10mpg. But gas is cheaper than diesel, and easier to find the right pump at the gas station. Plus my car insurance went down considerably when we traded in a 7 year old diesel truck.
    and no, I do not use the turning point hitch. 6.5 bed and it is not needed.
    That is good news for those looking at 1/2 ton pick ups. No doubt, diesels are more expensive to purchase and maintain. But I will add "if you took that exhaust brake away from me while towing.... I'd cry!" That feature is just awesome. Hardly any braking coming down a hill or mountain. And the diesel torque is wonderful. Just finished a 3,000 mile trip, primarily on cruise control setting: 70 mph fully loaded, Towing = 12+ mpg. Non-towing highway= 20 mpg. Typical daily mix = 16-17 mpg. It is a 4x4.

However, when I'm not towing... the truck is a Pain In The A**. Always a 3 point turn in a parking lot, much harder/bumpy ride and although it's completely stock- have to climb up to get in. In the end: would I trade it in? No.
    Again, preference (and dollars) .. Rob
    Rob
    230RL, Fifth Wheel, 2018 yr.
    Ram 2500 short bed, 4x4, Cummins Diesel, 2015 yr.
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diesel vs. gas almost comes down to % of miles driven that are towing miles. When we had our F350 dually, over 50% of the miles we put on the truck during 9 years of ownership were towing miles. Daily driving with that beast was just no good. Always looking for a parking spot and worried that I would not be able to get out of the spot when I got back to the truck. No such thing as a u-turn in that truck. You needed about 4 lanes across to bring it around. The 6.0 liter engine never gave any problems, but we sold the truck before we turned the odometer over 100,000 miles. So I can't complain about reliability.

Since gas engines keep getting more torque and since we are looking at much smaller and lighter fifth wheels now, a gas engine is definitely in the picture for us. The Ram 2500 gasser with the new 8-speed tranny is definitely on our short list. I am just not sure I want to spend the extra $ for a diesel engine for a fifth wheel under 10,000 lbs. The loss of payload from a diesel engine is also an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back on the fridge size, Norcold has been making DC fridges for some time. Their Polar 10DC is a direct fit DC compressor replacement for a 8cf absorption fridge and uses only 5.7 amp when it cycles. It has 9.7cf of capacity. Working on a GD Imagine deal right now and part of that deal is a replacement by the dealer of the 6cf Dometic with a Norcold DE-0061 7cf DC compressor unit. 3.2 DC amps when cycling. 5.3 fridge space / 1.7 freezer space.
    Last edited by Copperhead; 08-31-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading about the DC fridge option on another thread discussing refer options. Is the dealer looking to charge you extra to make the swap from the absorption to DC unit? I am surprised that I have never seen any discussion about the DC option in my years of RV ownership. The residential vs. absorption comparison is all I ever see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my12by60 View Post
    I was reading about the DC fridge option on another thread discussing refer options. Is the dealer looking to charge you extra to make the swap from the absorption to DC unit? I am surprised that I have never seen any discussion about the DC option in my years of RV ownership. The residential vs. absorption comparison is all I ever see.
    How or what the dealer charges me for doing this is still in negotiation. I fully realize this is outside the norm, so I am not expecting any dealer to do the fridge and swap for free, only looking for a dealer cost for the DC fridge thru their parts supplier which I will pay for with maybe free install as part of the overall deal on the trailer. Only a 2 hr job at most for the shop. I can get the fridge myself thru various outlets, and will do so if dealer price for it is more. Then as part of the overall deal, have them remove the stock fridge and install the DC ...BEFORE... I take delivery of the unit. I have made it very clear, irregardless of RV, I will not make a buy unless the absorption fridge is replaced with a DC compressor unit.

A dealer for another brand/model I have considered has already committed to replacing the stock fridge, and can get DC compressor fridge cheaper than I can. I would prefer the GD Imagine I am talking with Kettleson RV in Hiawatha Iowa about, so still discussing with them.

I do not have Coachman in my sights, but I learned thru another dealer that they are now offering to replace stock 8cf absorption fridge with the 10DC unit as a factory option in some of their models. So even though GD is not on that game plan, there is no reason a dealer cannot do it as part of a deal. Any dealer who won’t do it for me loses the deal.

Time for dealers and OEM’s to get into the 21st century.
    Last edited by Copperhead; 09-02-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my 5th wheel back about 2 weeks ago now. They replaced the circuit board for the 2nd time and feel the first replacement might have been defective. General RV is trying to get me a new refrigerator since this has been my 8th time in within a short period of time. I'm not impressed with Dometic's customer service at all. You would think after 8 times in the shop for a refrigerator that keeps breaking down, especially since Dometic is the one sending out parts and making the recommendations to General RV how to fix it, they would replace it. Anyhow, so far so good this time around. The electric seems to be working. Never as cool as using propane. I'm keeping my fingers crossed since my warranty is up next month. If it stops working again, I'll be writing to Grand Design with my problems.
    Lynne and Lance
    2023 Solitude 2930 Current and Forever
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Traded In
    2016 Reflection 297RS. Traded In
    2022 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel CC SRW SB
    2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel Traded In

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456