Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: My tow vehicle

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post
    If you are consciously going to exceed the rating of your power unit, then do me (an others) a favor, and post your travel plans on line........so I can stay as far away from your overloaded rig as I can.
    So much hyperbole when it comes to this topic! I'm sure that you're aware that every time you get on the highway, you are surrounded by cars and trucks that are loaded beyond their GVWR; two seat sports cars with two people in it, mini-vans with all 7 or 8 seats filled, every full size SUV towing a travel trailer over 22', most Tacomas on their way home from Lowes, many SRW F350s towing 40' fifth wheels. I'm sure some of these vehicles do pose a threat to you, and I'm equally certain that the potential threat has little to do with how they're loaded. A conscientious driver towing a 337 with a 2017 F250 is so far down the list of potential threats to you and your family that it is barely worth considering.

I see you're a fellow Californian. In the Golden State, it has been determined that the speed limit while towing is 55 MPH. In much the same way, Ford determined that the GVWR of the OP's F250 is 10,000 pounds. Are you willing to tell me that when you jump on the I-5 and head towards Sacramento, you set the cruise at 55 MPH? If you do, you are the only one. Many pickups pulling trailers are driving 70 MPH +...right along with the semis. My guess is that you are probably traveling at 65 MPH if traffic permits. I happen to think that 65 is a completely reasonable speed on that wide open, straight as an arrow, 350 mile stretch of interstate. You apply some logic and reason to the situation and determined what is safe. In spite of the fact that you are exceeding the speed limit by 15%, I would feel comfortable sharing the road with you. I would certainly never accuse you of posing a treat to me and suggesting that you post your itinerary on the internet so I could stay as far away from your speeding rig as I can.
    Last edited by JeffD68; 11-06-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can't be hyberbolic owing to my nervous medicine, so i'll put it this way: rv drivers are probably the safest drivers you'll find on the highway. BUT, heaven forbid i make a mistake and kill somebody. i choose not to run the risk of trying to defend my overweight vehicle's contribution to the mayhem. lawyers are on to this issue, as evidenced by certain dealers who won't sell you a rig w/o confirming the ability of your tv, tv manufacturers "clarifying" the gvwr/payload specs on their product, etc. if you are friends with an insurance agent, ask him or her about my abovementioned hypothetical and find out what their claim payout position would be.
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS. Equalizer 1600 hitch. 2020 Chevrolet 2500 diesel short bed. Charley and Janis. Pets Zoie and Harley.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charley patton View Post
    i can't be hyberbolic owing to my nervous medicine, so i'll put it this way: rv drivers are probably the safest drivers you'll find on the highway. BUT, heaven forbid i make a mistake and kill somebody. i choose not to run the risk of trying to defend my overweight vehicle's contribution to the mayhem. lawyers are on to this issue, as evidenced by certain dealers who won't sell you a rig w/o confirming the ability of your tv, tv manufacturers "clarifying" the gvwr/payload specs on their product, etc. if you are friends with an insurance agent, ask him or her about my abovementioned hypothetical and find out what their claim payout position would be.
    I would agree and even if you get in an accident that wasn't caused by you, you could be found guilty of Contributory Negligence or Comparative Negligence (depending on jurisdiction) which would reduce the damages you receive. To me it just wasn't worth the risk so for piece of mind I made sure I bought a TV and trailer that would be within weight limits.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
    I would agree and even if you get in an accident that wasn't caused by you, you could be found guilty of Contributory Negligence or Comparative Negligence (depending on jurisdiction) which would reduce the damages you receive. To me it just wasn't worth the risk so for piece of mind I made sure I bought a TV and trailer that would be within weight limits.

High Five...I could not agree more with what you've written and we did exactly the same thing as you. We made sure that the trailer that we purchased was well within the published specs of our TV.

I don't mean to stir the pot, but I found this article which seems to do a nice job of explaining the differences between 3/4 and 1 ton pick-up trucks.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/0...0s-differ.html

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    And the F-450 is a big step up in axels springs breaks and front and rear differentials
    Yup and a lower payload capacity then an equivalent f350 dually. All trucks are engineered to what is says on the sticker right? /sarcasm/
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Just wondering outloud. If the F-250 and the F-350 srw are built the same, axels, wheels, transmission and breaks. And a slight difference in springs. Why bother building a F-250 line?
    Because it has nothing to do with capability. The 250's main reason to exist is to stay in the class 2 category of 10K and under for registration purposes. The GM twins are the first to break that mold in 2020 by breaking the 10K ceiling on 2500's. I wonder if they will have a de-rate option for those who need to stay under 10K?
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    High Five...I could not agree more with what you've written and we did exactly the same thing as you. We made sure that the trailer that we purchased was well within the published specs of our TV.

I don't mean to stir the pot, but I found this article which seems to do a nice job of explaining the differences between 3/4 and 1 ton pick-up trucks.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/0...0s-differ.html
    What that article states is the Ford and GM 3/4 and 1 ton trucks can be optioned to be nearly identical. The same is not true of RAM. The 2500 gets the coil rear suspension and lower output Cummins.
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Because it has nothing to do with capability. The 250's main reason to exist is to stay in the class 2 category of 10K and under for registration purposes. The GM twins are the first to break that mold in 2020 by breaking the 10K ceiling on 2500's. I wonder if they will have a de-rate option for those who need to stay under 10K?
    The Ford F350 can also be ordered with a derated 10K registration.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
    The Ford F350 can also be ordered with a derated 10K registration.
    I was pretty sure of that but not being a Ford guy wasn't positive.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Yup and a lower payload capacity then an equivalent f350 dually. All trucks are engineered to what is says on the sticker right? /sarcasm/
    Now you're starting to understand. An F350 is more capable than an F450 when similarly equipped. The payload sticker proves it. Also, if you choose to de-rate your F350 SRW to 10,000 pounds, it is less capable than the exact same truck that was not de-rated. This is made obvious by the payload sticker. If you load that 11,500 lbs GVWR F350 to 11,499 pounds you are safe. If you load the (mechanically identical) de-rated 10,000 lbs GVWR F350 to 10,001 lbs you are unsafe. The payload sticker says so and it must be taken at face value with no logic applied. The payload sticker clearly determines capability. It is black and white.
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast