Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: My tow vehicle

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    I agree. The GVWR of 350/3500 (Class 3) trucks is probably the most accurate when determining actual capability. A Class 3 truck can be rated up to 14,000 lbs but nobody is making a SRW that approaches that number. Why is that? My guess is that it just isn't possible yet from an engineering standpoint. I suspect 11,500 is a realistic ceiling for a F250 or F350 SRW.

A Class 2 is limited to 10,000 lbs so 250/2500 at that rating are a dime a dozen. You can get a gas F250 with a weaker transmission, weaker rear axle, taller gears and softer front springs and it will have the same 10,000 GVWR as my much stouter F250. How does that make sense? I draw the line at 11,500 for my truck. That is one of the primary reasons I have a 303 instead of a 337.

Same here. I was afraid the 337 and 250 lb hitch plus other things I carry would be close but pushing it with my 3495 lb payload and I didn't want a dual rear wheel truck with it's long bed which I could of gotten since I bought both in the same time frame as a "matched set". It would have worked with a gas truck for more payload but adding weight and cutting back on pulling power wasn't for me.

I think, since you have the high capacity tow package, you are perfectly safe even though you exceed the sticker. I just hope you don't get checked (not likely) or get in an accident and have a legal battle to deal with.
    Last edited by HighFive; 11-07-2019 at 06:36 PM.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramcneal View Post
    True, but looking at the configuration options the dual rear wheels only adds $1300 to the price and given what that option provides in both payload and peace of mind it seems like a no brainer. Of course, I'm one of those people who has no trouble parking as far out as possible since I feel walking as much as possible is good for me. I've also never had trouble driving large trucks since I learned how to drive a class 8 truck years ago. Others want or need a smaller truck and still want to pull a larger trailer. All a trade off and I would only suggest that folks look seriously at a 1 ton dually if they are going to pull any 5th wheel over 13,000lbs. That's not to say a 3500/350 isn't capable, it's just the DRW provides a nice safety margin. I hope that makes sense.
    Also agreed. I had a 2014 SRW I ordered with the Aisin. It also gets you the HO engine.

If my primary use for my truck was pulling I would have gone with the DRW regardless of trailer weight. The extra rear wheel is a nice safety feature. But unfortunately I have to many other uses I need it for now and I didn’t want the hassle of the extra width. I’ve pulled thousands of miles with both and frankly don’t notice much if any difference at the weight I’m at. I have 2 family members with DRW’s and we have switched trucks for various reasons. But any heavier and ill move up.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Also agreed. I had a 2014 SRW I ordered with the Aisin. It also gets you the HO engine.

If my primary use for my truck was pulling I would have gone with the DRW regardless of trailer weight. The extra rear wheel is a nice safety feature. But unfortunately I have to many other uses I need it for now and I didn’t want the hassle of the extra width. I’ve pulled thousands of miles with both and frankly don’t notice much if any difference at the weight I’m at. I have 2 family members with DRW’s and we have switched trucks for various reasons. But any heavier and ill move up.
    I understand completely and for me the extra width doesn't pose a problem. Today's 350/3500 SRW are extremely capable tow vehicles especially for the mid-size 5th wheels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Yup and a lower payload capacity then an equivalent f350 dually. All trucks are engineered to what is says on the sticker right? /sarcasm/
    I just double checked the Ford website, the 350 5th wheel/gooseneck is #31 ,300 highest rating. The 450 is #32 ,500 ( 4X4 models ). And the 450 still has a smoother ride when empty thanks to the different springs in the rear and a tighter turning radius thanks to the standard wide track front end.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I just double checked the Ford website, the 350 5th wheel/gooseneck is #31 ,300 highest rating. The 450 is #32 ,500 ( 4X4 models ). And the 450 still has a smoother ride when empty thanks to the different springs in the rear and a tighter turning radius thanks to the standard wide track front end.
    Payload. Not tow rating. A 450 will have a several hundred pound lower payload than a equally optioned 350. Not arguing that the 450 is a better truck, just that if you believe that the sticker is solely based on engineering/safety than the 350 can carry more than a 450 which is ridiculous. But that’s what that door sticker says.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see said the blind man. Your right payload is a few hundred pounds more. Probably a trade off because of the heavier duty drive train parts

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I see said the blind man. Your right payload is a few hundred pounds more. Probably a trade off because of the heavier duty drive train parts
    You got it! If the GVWR is a fixed number, adding actual mechanical capability, which is always heavy, will cost you capacity on paper. I have always prioritize actual capability, safety, comfort and convenience over theoretical (paper) capacity. Others see it differently.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JeffD68,
    I agree with your logic you have posted through out this post. I also have a 303RLS I towed with a 2018 F250 diesel. I've never felt unsafe, under powered, or putting anyone's life in danger. I recently sold the truck(to a fireman out by you) and have a 2020 F350 on order. My biggest concern was being in and accident(my fault or not) and sued because I was over pin weight 450lbs~.
    This will be my fourth Super Duty and the discussion about F250 - F350 has been going on since 1999.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    You got it! If the GVWR is a fixed number, adding actual mechanical capability, which is always heavy, will cost you capacity on paper. I have always prioritize actual capability, safety, comfort and convenience over theoretical (paper) capacity. Others see it differently.
    You would have bought an F350 if the company would have allowed it. I don’t think choosing a 250 over a 350 is noble or anything.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    You would have bought an F350 if the company would have allowed it. I don’t think choosing a 250 over a 350 is noble or anything.
    Of course there is nothing noble about choosing a F250 over a F350. In my case it was a purely financial decision. I was unwilling to pass on $700 a month added to my paycheck and a fuel card. Others make the informed choice for practical, financial or regulatory reasons. I suspect a majority choose an F250 because to the public at large, F250 is synonymous with "heavy duty truck". They have no understanding of the ramifications of that choice. They get on a forum like this one and they get a bunch of new information and some misinformation. Either way, their eyes are opened.

My previous statement about real capability as opposed to capacity is not an opinion, it's an irrefutable fact. It doesn't matter if you choose an F150, F250, F350, F450, SRW or DRW, the only way to maximize the capacity of any truck is to minimize the capability, comfort, convenience, and/or safety of it. Capacity is a one dimensional rating. It is based only on weight. Cargo capacity is what is left when you subtract the scaled weight of your truck from the fixed number that is the GVWR assigned to your truck.

As an example, let's start with two SRW F350s, each equipped to the standard that gives them an 11,500 pound GVWR. Now let's start adding actual capability to just one of them. Add the fifth wheel prep package and a hitch. Now that truck is capable of hauling a fifth wheel. The other truck is clearly less capable because it is actually incapable of hauling a fifth wheel. What did the truck with actual capability sacrifice? The capacity on the payload sticker. That scenario holds true for every capability, comfort, convenience or safety feature you add. Whether that feature weighs a few ounces, or 200 pounds, it will decrease your capacity by the same weight. So, it is undeniable that making a more capable truck will have an inverse impact on it's capacity.

Some truck buyers are obsessed with their payload sticker. Others want all the capability, comfort, convenience, and safety they can squeeze into a truck at the expense of their their payload capacity and their bank account. Most probably try to achieve some balance between the two. Hopefully, these choices are made from an informed position.

I do not intend to be condescending. Most reading this post understand the relationship between capability and capacity. Some probably don't.

I advocate for the F250 owners because the weight zealots are by their nature only focused on one thing, the payload sticker. That is such a gross oversimplification. Yes, if buying a new truck, get as much capability and capacity as you can afford. If you already have a F250 (or any 2500) and getting a new truck, simply is not an option, don't despair. You can make it work safely, within reason, of course. The weight police would have you believe that the only option is buying a new truck or getting a different trailer. That is easy to say when it's someone else's money. There are cost effective ways to genuinely enhance the capability of any truck, in any weight classification. You can continue to enjoy getting your family out on adventures and do it safely.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast