User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help w/Tow Vehicle Selection for 260RD

We are looking to get back into RVing with a 260RD at some point in the near future. Our prior RV was a 40ft Cedar Creek that was about 14.5K when loaded. We pulled with a 2006 F350 dually 2WD PSD with 6.0L. We would usually take one long summer trip to avoid the summer heat here in the Phoenix area. Typical tow miles each summer were from 3K to 6K. We are planning the same type of travel, just without our grown kids. This will allow us to get a smaller and lighter fifth-wheel. Since we have another car at home, our tow vehicle will see most of its annual use when we are out traveling and will not be required as a daily driver when we get home. I work from home, so we only use our second vehicle (the tow vehicle) on occasion.

We are looking to avoid diesel and dually in the tow vehicle. We are focused on the F250 or F350 super cab with short bed, gas engine and 2wd. These seem to be around at good used prices as most folks seem to want crew cab and 4WD. Our gas engine options are the v10 prior to 2011 and the 6.2L thereafter.

Based on what I read on the web, 10K seems to be the over-under line where many start to recommend diesel. Since the 260RD has unloaded brochure weight of 7,225, I figured our loaded weight will probably be around 9K. The east or west routes to leave the Phoenix area do not involve any meaningful climbing. The two routes north, however, have big elevation gains taking us from 2K above sea level at our house to about 5K - 7K elevation.

Ideally, I am hoping for feedback from those towing with a gas engine in the southwest where the elevation changes are more extreme than east of the Rockies.

How do you like the set-up?

What sort of towing mpg can we expect?

Any thoughts on v10 vs. 6.2L?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my12by60 View Post
    We are looking to get back into RVing with a 260RD at some point in the near future. Our prior RV was a 40ft Cedar Creek that was about 14.5K when loaded. We pulled with a 2006 F350 dually 2WD PSD with 6.0L. We would usually take one long summer trip to avoid the summer heat here in the Phoenix area. Typical tow miles each summer were from 3K to 6K. We are planning the same type of travel, just without our grown kids. This will allow us to get a smaller and lighter fifth-wheel. Since we have another car at home, our tow vehicle will see most of its annual use when we are out traveling and will not be required as a daily driver when we get home. I work from home, so we only use our second vehicle (the tow vehicle) on occasion.

We are looking to avoid diesel and dually in the tow vehicle. We are focused on the F250 or F350 super cab with short bed, gas engine and 2wd. These seem to be around at good used prices as most folks seem to want crew cab and 4WD. Our gas engine options are the v10 prior to 2011 and the 6.2L thereafter.

Based on what I read on the web, 10K seems to be the over-under line where many start to recommend diesel. Since the 260RD has unloaded brochure weight of 7,225, I figured our loaded weight will probably be around 9K. The east or west routes to leave the Phoenix area do not involve any meaningful climbing. The two routes north, however, have big elevation gains taking us from 2K above sea level at our house to about 5K - 7K elevation.

Ideally, I am hoping for feedback from those towing with a gas engine in the southwest where the elevation changes are more extreme than east of the Rockies.

How do you like the set-up?

What sort of towing mpg can we expect?

Any thoughts on v10 vs. 6.2L?
    We tow a 27RL , 10995 gross weight with a GMC 2500 with 6.0 liter gas engine. Have towed both eastern and western mountains without difficulty.It won’t keep up with the diesel pickups but keeps up with the semi’s on the hills. I doubt you would have an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is your towing mpg with the GMC engine?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is your towing mpg with the GMC engine?
    Overall around 8.5 mpg towing, closer to 9 this year all east coast this year.

2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too bad for a gas engine. We were getting only about 10mpg with our 6.0L diesel over the nine years we towed with it. I am not sure how much a lighter fifth wheel will help with towing mpg. My understanding is that the wind resistance of high-profile fifth-wheels is a big factor, regardless of weight.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too bad for a gas engine. We were getting only about 10mpg with our 6.0L diesel over the nine years we towed with it. I am not sure how much a lighter fifth wheel will help with towing mpg. My understanding is that the wind resistance of high-profile fifth-wheels is a big factor, regardless of weight.
    Wind is certainly a big factor , Down to 5 mpg southerly Montana into Wyoming into a strong quartering wind. Yuck

2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailer frontal area in square feet is probably more of a factor than weight.....unless you are only going a few MPH.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our rig comes in @ 11995 fully loaded. We are towing probably closer to 11000 - maybe a little more. My Chevy 6.0 gasser plus just fine, and we live in the middle of the Allegheny Mountains. As stated it won't keep up with the diesels, but all around it does pretty well. There is no direction out of town that does not require an uphill clime. And depending on which direction we go it's quite a ways to get out of the mountains. We get on average the same as Tortise 8.5 mpg. I did not want all of that extra expense of the diesel. It actually took a while to find the gasser I wanted.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear another that is happy with the gas engine. Even when we had the diesel, we were not trying to tear our way up the hills. So taking it easy up the grades won't be a big deal for us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull a 220rk with a Titan XD 5.6L gasser. Been up to 9000ft altitude with some 6%+ grades. I'm 6800# empty probably around 8000# loaded. It handles the wt and altitude easily and gets 8mpg. RPMs race at 5000 when climbing but that is normal for a gasser. Hope that helps...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast