User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude. Are you for real bringing Tesla into a RV conversation? I apologize if you're offended, but electric motors and solar are a far cry with their products offered versus required with what's available today. Liars saying otherwise are plain wrong. Do your due diligence and investigating. I spent over 40 years in commercial construction and worked with many solar power contractors. Our Government REQUIRES a percentage of power in a Federal building be solar. It used to be 30% when I retired. It's an obscene cost to taxpayers because it doesn't pay for itself in a reasonable time frame. The ability to tow a rig using electric trucks at this time is non-existent. Period.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 12-03-2019 at 05:42 PM. Reason: edited out offensive language

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still laugh that people are sooooo offended by a wheel well. Dismiss everything about a truck over a wheel well.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO the recharging infrastructure will be the biggest hurdle to overcome for EV towing to become a realistic alternative. Taking cost out of the equation a truck could probably be produced today that could tow a RV a reasonable distance. Just keep adding batteries. Now recharging them is a whole other issue
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Tesla Pickup Truck is Here

Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    IMO the recharging infrastructure will be the biggest hurdle to overcome for EV towing to become a realistic alternative. Taking cost out of the equation a truck could probably be produced today that could tow a RV a reasonable distance. Just keep adding batteries. Now recharging them is a whole other issue
    A lot of people think that you need an actual “Tesla charging station”. You don’t.
    You can use an adapter and plug a Tesla into a standard outlet. We see plenty of people in campgrounds plugging their Tesla into the 30 amp pedestal at their campsite.
    If an electric truck can tow 200 to 300 miles and use any standard 110 receptacle they would sell like hotcakes.
    If I had an electric truck, I could charge it up using my camper and my solar. Anywhere in the world.
    Sure the super quick superchargers would be ideal but most people don’t need them because most people don’t drive all day long or cross country. There’s also plenty of camper trailers out there that don’t weigh 20,000 lbs.
    The Tesla car is very capable of towing a wide range of campers right now, I see them doing it.
    I don’t tow more than 200 miles max then I don’t move again for a week, so it would be stupid easy for me to keep an EV charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 12-03-2019 at 02:53 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EV trucks as a usable proposition are simply hype at the moment. The manufacturers who are coming onto the scene promise 300 - 500 miles range but that is unladen and there is a reason why they dont give any figures for the range when pulling or fully loaded.

Fast Lane Truck did a test on an EV for towing and as soon as you load the vehicle up the range is decimated - they were trying to tow a trailer to Seattle from Colorado and had to give up and call for a mate to send a Toyota Land Cruiser to take the trailer as the EV simply didnt have the range to get to the next charging point. That is another issue - depending on what type of charging point you have it can take an hour to charge 10 miles worth of range.

So maybe in 10 - 20 years EV trucks will be viable but they certainly are not going to replace my Chevy any time soon.
    2020 Solitude S Class 2930RL-R
    2019 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LTZ

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    A lot of people think that you need an actual “Tesla charging station”. You don’t.
    You can use an adapter and plug a Tesla into a standard outlet. We see plenty of people in campgrounds plugging their Tesla into the 30 amp pedestal at their campsite.
    If I had an electric truck, I could charge it up using my camper and my solar. Anywhere in the world.
    Sure the super quick superchargers would be ideal but most people don’t need them because most people don’t drive all day long or cross country.
    I don’t tow more than 200 miles max then I don’t move again for a week, so it would be stupid easy for me to keep an EV charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You may not "need" a super charger but for a EV to be viable option to replace a fossil fuel vehicle its going to need to be much more versatile then drive for 200 miles then not move for a week. "Most" people are going to want more flexibility than that. If i'm going anywhere farther than a weekend outing I'm going farther than 200 miles in a day, just going to Florida and back for me would take over ten days of travel time at that rate. Great if your retired and have nowhere else to be. then factor in the recharge time between 200mi legs and nope

Charging a tesla at a 30amp plug may work, if many are doing it how many campgrounds have the electrical infrastructure to handle that plus the same site pulling another 30/40/50 or more while running 2 or 3 air's and other items on their rig? It also takes 3 to 4 DAYS to charge a 100KWH tesla empty to full with a 120v outlet. Now at least double or triple that for a truck with enough battery to pull an RV 200 miles. Just not realistic even if the campgrounds could handle it.
    Last edited by JKellerJr; 12-03-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stayed out of this thread/topic even after I saw the comments about GM's square holes for round tires. Personally not a fan of that look. But we can all agree to disagree - politely - it what makes the world go 'round (or bumpity-bump in GM's world) ....

Which brings me to the reason for actually commenting... We moderators got a few reports of hidden/disguised dicy language. I agree some terms seem to be more acceptable than others, but let's try to keep them out.

Now - back to the rage for and against electric motors, square wheel wells and whatever.......
    I'm gonna just watch.

on edit...
    drat - I was gonna just watch and got another complaint. I went back and edited out the offensive word..... Probably should have done that to begin with - sorry 'bout that.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 12-03-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345