User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Don't get me wrong on the 4x4. As you can see in my sig below I got the 4x4 for all the reasons noted above. It's like an old tool in the corner of your workshop - you rarely used it, but when you need it, you're really glad to have it! Really depends on how and where you plan to use your truck.

I got the upfitter switches but have yet to use any. Does make for a conversation piece when new people are inside. It's a pretty inexpensive add-on.

Same w/ the block heater - inexpensive add-on yet I haven't used it after almost 2 years.

I don't have the sunroof and still glad to not have it (heard some stories of leakage, etc.)

I would take the Ford credit to NOT get the factory floor mats (I think it's the "carpet delete" option). Aftermarket (weathertech or equivalent) are much better.

Same w/ mudflaps - My weathertech flaps are good for me.

I had a bed liner in an older truck and it messed up the paint on the factory bed from continuous rubbing. If you keep the bed liner on, you'll never see it so maybe no big deal. I have a rubber bed mat that works great to keep things from sliding around.

Good luck!
    In my post above I recommended both the Bed Liner and the All Weather Floor Mats. I just wanted to clarify my post by saying that I did get All Weather Floor Mats (similar to the WeatherTech Mats) and not the "carpet delete" option.

Additionally, I may not have been clear about the bed liner, the factory bed liner option is a "Spray On" bed liner from Ford, I wanted the Factory bed liner and not an after market (or dealer installed) "spray on" bed liner.

I agree with you about the Sun Roof option, but, I live in Florida where the Sun is Brutal.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    This, from a pure capability standpoint, is true. Especially if ordering, look at the 450 if considering drw. Long bed, diesel is the most capable, nothing against the other setups or power trains.

More specific Ford options:
    -Get the limited slip rear end in whatever ratio you choose. 10spd made the ratio less critical
    -I tried, have, and don’t use pro trailer backup assist. So if you don’t need the 360 cameras, skip
    -Factory bedliner. Personal vote is spray in but which one is your preference
    -Factory hitch prep package minimum
    -Wheel well liners
    -Extended running boards. I’m still young and capable, and running boards still help. Extended (much less common) give access to the bed too.
    -Consider the tailgate step. I thought it was silly, but now wouldn’t mind having one
    -I would also skip the Ford mats. Ended up keeping the rear one, replacing the fronts (150 is the same cab)
    -We never touch the power adjustable pedals. Depends on your individual drivers

Good luck!
    I highly recommend the Tailgate Step, I can't imagine having a pickup without one (unless I was 20 years old again).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I highly recommend the Tailgate Step, I can't imagine having a pickup without one (unless I was 20 years old again).
    Totally agree. We have the 350 Platinum crew cab with the long box. Also has the biggest fuel tank. We love the diesel towing and our package came with the cab camera which is nice for hooking up the fiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I totally agree with the above response. In answering the OP's question, what is, "the best tow set up", i think the above is not subjective. For pure towing, this is the best set up.

Now, do you need the best towing set up, that is dependent on the rig you choose. Is it the best daily driver, nope. Will it fit it your garage, not sure; not sure that matters to you.

The other great advice, test drive both the F350 and theF450. The turn radius difference really needs to be experienced to be appreciated. As a 350 owner with 450 envy, trust me on that.
    The 2021 F-450 is the best pickup I have ever driven, hands down!
    I formerly had a 2013 F-350 SRW 6.7L Power Stroke , and it pulled my 2019 Solitude(weighed 15,500 lbs. w/ 3,760 pin weight) great and seemed to handle good most of the time. However coming down a 7% posted grade, 3 miles, the exhaust brake would not hold back the truck’s speed and had to make several brake applications. I also had felt uneasy in some windy conditions but I can’t say for sure how strong of winds, maybe 30 to 40 mph.
    Today, I took my 450 down the same 7% grade and the exhaust brake worked like a champ, with zero brake applications.
    It did raise the rpms for a short distance to 3,700 but almost the entire decline it was around 3,200.
    Regarding turning radius, there is a campground nearby that was assigned to me, it was for 34’ trailers (unbeknownst to me). My Solitude 40’6” and I could not get it in to the space without coming from the opposite direction which had less obstacles using my former 2013 350 SRW. I tried backing it into the space again this morning in my new 450 and got it in there. The turning radius is a bigger deal than I realized!
    I really like the 450 if you couldn’t tell! Ha!
    2021 F-450 King Ranch
    B&W Companion 25k Puck system
    2019 Solitude 385 GK
    2013 F-350 SRW (previous ); B & W 18k Companion Hitch (previous)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Factory tailgate step won't help if the 5th wheel is hooked up. I've added the Amp Research bedstep to all of my Ford trucks. They are worth it. No body modifications to install: https://www.amp-research.com/bedsteps

As for bed liner, I am a Line-X fan and would recommend that over the factory. Less money and a great product IMHO.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WeirdAl View Post
    If your going to bite the bullet make sure you get a dually, then you can tow anything GD makes. I did not order mine, someone else did, but it is a 350DRW, 6.7L, 3.55 axle, 5th wheel prep, 8 ft bed, and the expensive camera/tow package that lets you backup with a knob on the dash (not yet tried). Trim level is XLT.
    My best advice however, is to order the truck with your NEXT trailer in mind, not this one!
    Good advice.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WeirdAl View Post
    If your going to bite the bullet make sure you get a dually, then you can tow anything GD makes. I did not order mine, someone else did, but it is a 350DRW, 6.7L, 3.55 axle, 5th wheel prep, 8 ft bed, and the expensive camera/tow package that lets you backup with a knob on the dash (not yet tried). Trim level is XLT.
    My best advice however, is to order the truck with your NEXT trailer in mind, not this one!
    Very sound advice right there and exactly why I moved to the F450. A better turning radius than my F350CCSB had and no the NEXT trailer is on order (351M-R).
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My impressions of the last 5yrs reading similar forum posts-

Only get F250 if forced by heavy registration fees for F350/F450 in certain states.

F350 CCSB SRW Diesel, especially with tremor, is super popular all rounder...can be equally used for towing, daily driver, and offroad. Better turning radius than long bed, which us F350 weakness. Some feel that the tremor takes too much away from towing with tires/wheel being blamed.

F350 CCLB SRW is popular 7.3 gas configuration out as you get very stable towing, great payload, no worrying about dually tires, and very good power for commonly sized 7-12k lb conventional travel trailers. Diesel with exhaust brake needed for over 12k lbs or 5th wheel. If you are never going to 5th wheel or tow heavy, this is probably all you will ever need.

F450 CCLB DRW Diesel is the king of trailer/rv towing due turning radius, commercial tires, and Ford optimizing design for big 5th wheel handling. Can do practically anything...except go unnoticed daily driving or fit in many parking garages or some drive thru's.

If you must have the highest possible numbers, F350 CCLB DRW Diesel is what you will see everywhere in commercial towing-for-hire or the construction industry. If payload is all you want with lowest cost of operation long term and not towing, get 7.3 gas variant.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ordered a king Ranch 350 diesel with puck system and then switched out our hitch to the Pull Rite hitch. We felt we needed the extra towing power as we plan to go more long distance trips. We ordered a Momentum 397R due for delivery any day now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had our dealer order a 2022 F250 Lariat Crewcab on March 22nd, as part of their annual allotment. Currently we have a bumper pull that meets our needs but, a 5th wheel might be in the future. The dealer accepted the X Plan discount. Production for FY2022 Super Duty is scheduled to begin June 24th. Normal delivery would be 4-6 weeks. Hopeful we will see it by Fall.

6.7 Power Stroke
    3.31 electronic locker (unless you are pulling full time, the 10 speed transmission minimized the advantage of a lower differential)
    Lariat Value pkg.
    5th wheel prep (puck and in bed wire connection)
    Trailer Tow Package - High Capacity
    Engine block heater
    Tailgate step (Love the tailgate step on our F150 Platinum)
    Skid plates

I will add a rubber bed mat (easier on the knees) wheel well liners, and Weathertech or Husky mats.

Did not want a sunroof or Nav (again). I saw no need for the stiffer shocks on the FX4 pkg on a daily driver.

We cost compared the F350 Lariat and the F250 Lariat w/ high cap. trailer tow. The F250 matched the F350 drivetrain and suspension, was less expensive, and is cheap to register in many states.
    Last edited by Rivercityjeff; 05-09-2021 at 01:50 PM.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast