User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feedback on Quality of Ride F-450

Reaching out to all of you that have more stick time or windshield time than I do at this point. I pull about 15,000 miles a year, and I am not a full-time RV'er... We pull to FL often (adult kids work at Disney), so thats 1500 miles for a long weekend so it adds up fast. I am toying with the idea of changing tow vehicles, and the F-450 is on the list. I know the commercial 19.5in wheels/tires make it a beast, but does that translate to the ride quality being so rough, that it is as if no suspension is on the platform given the load it can pull/tote. I know that other platform dually's mainly come with 17in wheels/tires which give it a bit more of a forgiving ride. Curious from those of you that have windshould time on the F-450 platform to comment, and compare it to other trucks you have first hand experience with so that I am better informed. The closest F-450 for me to even test drive is 500 miles away, so I dont just want to pop over for the afternoon to drive it.

Thanks in advance. If there is a thread out there on this topic apologies in advance. I didnt see one, but I am still a noob on the forum, and learning to navigate it.

Jason
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    Reaching out to all of you that have more stick time or windshield time than I do at this point. I pull about 15,000 miles a year, and I am not a full-time RV'er... We pull to FL often (adult kids work at Disney), so thats 1500 miles for a long weekend so it adds up fast. I am toying with the idea of changing tow vehicles, and the F-450 is on the list. I know the commercial 19.5in wheels/tires make it a beast, but does that translate to the ride quality being so rough, that it is as if no suspension is on the platform given the load it can pull/tote. I know that other platform dually's mainly come with 17in wheels/tires which give it a bit more of a forgiving ride. Curious from those of you that have windshould time on the F-450 platform to comment, and compare it to other trucks you have first hand experience with so that I am better informed. The closest F-450 for me to even test drive is 500 miles away, so I dont just want to pop over for the afternoon to drive it.

Thanks in advance. If there is a thread out there on this topic apologies in advance. I didnt see one, but I am still a noob on the forum, and learning to navigate it.

Jason
    Hard to answer, but in my opinion the ride isn't very harsh compared to a 350 DRW. Is there a difference? Yes. Enough to sway me away from it next time around? Nope. I actually like the ride better than my 2500 RAM I sold. The only complaint is the 19.5 tires. Very narrow and like to follow grooves on the road. That's really the only negative I have come up with after 19,600 miles with 12,000 pulling the toy hauler. My wife doesn't mind the ride. It's stiff, but it's not bouncy like the older trucks.

Full Timing Family in a 2021 Momentum 395MS-R, towed by our
    2021 Ford F450 King Ranch

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following this thread
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the occasion to have an F450 Platinum last year that I literally drove across the country with last year after some unfortunate circumstances with the owner. Without a single doubt, the ride is harsher than my RAM in my opinion. Now the seats helped make up for it, but I definitely wanted more rubber coming across some of our lovely US roads... Don't get me wrong, I'm in the truck IS A TRUCK crowd, and maybe it was the combination of tire and pressure too. However, I left them be as I know the owner had so many issues with the truck eating tires with barely 20K on it, and they were at door spec.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Business and own and have owned multiple heavy-duty trucks, I just bought a 22 F450 Lariat CC 4x4 to pull My 375res for Cross Country trips with the family, as well as Move heavy equipment. Pick up F450 rides way better than F 450 chassis Cabs and even better than my 2019 F350 long wheel base service body chassis. As others have posted the tires do follow seames and cracks in the highway, wish you could get it with 4:10s as the fuel economy suffers at highway speeds, truck gets 10.5 mpgs at 55 or 60 but only about 9 or so at 65 -70 grossing around 26-27k.
    Had a 2019 2500 Ram crew and the front end ride quality and bump steer was terrible compared to the 450

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019 F450 with 60k on it pulling a 20k Momentum. It rides best when hitched up. It is also our sole vehicle and daily driver. The first time it wallowed in the wear grooves on the highway I was quite disconcerted, thought something was wrong. Took about 25 miles to determine it was just a thing with the F450. I had trouble with wear on the stock Continentals until I got someone who knew what they were doing to align and balance, then no more troubles. I just put new Michelin XDS on but haven't towed with them yet, I think they will tend to wallow more than the Continentals but won't know for sure till spring.

I have owned many types of pickups and driven them all in pretty rough conditions. The F450 is the stiffest of the bunch. You learn when to slow down for the bumps. I put up with it because I need the F450 to tow with, but would take the ride of the modern day F150/1500 over the ride of the F450.

My F450 does exactly what I purchased it for: it drags my big Mo up Floyd's pass west of Denver in 40mph crosswinds without a wiggle or a waiver, it holds the big Mo coming down off of the Grapevine in CA, it doesn't even notice Dead Mans Pass in Oregon, it's passing everything coming up Parleys pass in Utah.

The 4:10 rear end is not for the folks that want to routinely cruise at 70-80-90 mph. It would be a poor choice for those that stay in Texas or Florida. But I like to play in the Rockies. I also tow at 60mph, I know it's annoying to folks that have roads with an 80mph speed limit, but it's a safety thing for me.

While I know the F450 isn't for everyone, it's a good fit for me.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    2019 F450 with 60k on it pulling a 20k Momentum. It rides best when hitched up. It is also our sole vehicle and daily driver. The first time it wallowed in the wear grooves on the highway I was quite disconcerted, thought something was wrong. Took about 25 miles to determine it was just a thing with the F450. I had trouble with wear on the stock Continentals until I got someone who knew what they were doing to align and balance, then no more troubles. I just put new Michelin XDS on but haven't towed with them yet, I think they will tend to wallow more than the Continentals but won't know for sure till spring.

I have owned many types of pickups and driven them all in pretty rough conditions. The F450 is the stiffest of the bunch. You learn when to slow down for the bumps. I put up with it because I need the F450 to tow with, but would take the ride of the modern day F150/1500 over the ride of the F450.

My F450 does exactly what I purchased it for: it drags my big Mo up Floyd's pass west of Denver in 40mph crosswinds without a wiggle or a waiver, it holds the big Mo coming down off of the Grapevine in CA, it doesn't even notice Dead Mans Pass in Oregon, it's passing everything coming up Parleys pass in Utah.

The 4:10 rear end is not for the folks that want to routinely cruise at 70-80-90 mph. It would be a poor choice for those that stay in Texas or Florida. But I like to play in the Rockies. I also tow at 60mph, I know it's annoying to folks that have roads with an 80mph speed limit, but it's a safety thing for me.

While I know the F450 isn't for everyone, it's a good fit for me.
    Dallas,

As always an excellent review. We have a 450 on order.

We mostly stay in Florida but drive speed limit unloaded and 62 MPH when towing. We are bumping with no spare lbs, right at payload on our F-350 SRW. We chose 450 over 350 DRW for the turning radius and bigger brakes etc. The truck mission will be used 90% to tow our reflection 5th wheel.

If we aren’t happy with it we can always sell it and recoup most if not all the investment since we ordered it at 4% under invoice or about 10% below MSRP. As rare are newer 460s are on lots they are bringing premium prices.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 01-26-2022 at 09:37 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My previous tow vehicle was a '17 Chevy 3500 LTZ CC LB DRW... new one is a '22 F450. Rides just as smooth as the 3500 did unloaded/loaded.
    2022 F450 Lariat
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the insurance on the F-450 outrageous because they consider it as a commercial truck?
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    Is the insurance on the F-450 outrageous because they consider it as a commercial truck?
    It may depends on your State. In Florida, my State Farm agent told me it will be rated as a private vehicle. Last month my State Farm agent quoted only a $44 increase in premium every 6 months to replace my 2020 F-350 Lariat SRW with a 2022 F-450 Platinum.

Also annual tag registration fees are the same as my F-350, $144/yr. I know NC has some strange fees compared to Florida.

See the below insurance quote he sent me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AA875411-3A33-44DD-AD27-12E6879CE8F7.jpeg  
    Last edited by Jerryr; 01-26-2022 at 08:28 PM.
    Jerry & Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast