Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the items I am planning on using.
    4 100 watt panels on the roof and 2 100 watt panels on the ground
    2 12 volt 200Ah lithium batteries in series
    24V Pure sine wave power inverter 3000 watt
    DC 24 volt to DC 12 volt 40 amp
    40A Mppt charge controller
    I will need to get one more charge controller for the ground panels.

Putting the system together is the easy part. Tieing the system to the rv systems is what is going to be hard for me.
    Retired US Navy
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3
    2021 Reflection 260RD
    Pullrite 2600

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGazaway View Post
    These are the items I am planning on using.
    4 100 watt panels on the roof and 2 100 watt panels on the ground
    2 12 volt 200Ah lithium batteries in series
    24V Pure sine wave power inverter 3000 watt
    DC 24 volt to DC 12 volt 40 amp
    40A Mppt charge controller
    I will need to get one more charge controller for the ground panels.

Putting the system together is the easy part. Tieing the system to the rv systems is what is going to be hard for me.
    You will have two devices to tie into the "RV systems", the DC - DC Converter and the Inverter. Additionally, with a 24 volt system you will not be able use your OEM Converter to charge your batteries from shore power, so, you will need to disconnect or remove it. This will not be an issue if you are installing an Inverter/Charger like a Victron Multiplus or similar Inverter/Charger.

To connect your DC - DC Converter into the 12v RV system you can simply connect output from the DC - DC Converter to the cable/cables that were attached to the positive post of the battery (if you have multiple cables I would suggest using a bus bar to easily tie all the connections together). This will power up all of your 12v devices throughout the coach.

When it comes to the Inverter the easiest way to tie the Inverter into the RV is via the 30 or 50 amp Electrical panel. Of course, this depends on which Inverter (or Inverter/Charger) you decide to buy. If you choose an Inverter that only has A/C output (and not an A/C input) then you will need some type of transfer switch to disconnect the Inverter from the circuits when you are on shore power. If you choose an Inverter/Charger, like the Victron Multiplus, then the transfer switch is automatically built in.

Here is where I suggest a specific Inverter/Charger and the reasons why: Victron has recently come out with an Inverter/Charger that runs on 24 volts and has two 120 volt lines as output, it is called the Multiplus II 3000. This greatly simplifies the wiring required that you would need to install your Inverter/Charger inside your 50 amp RV. Because you have two 120 volt lines as the output, you would simply take the wires currently feeding the 50a Electrical box and use them as your input lines to the Inverter/Charger and take the output lines from the Inverter/Charger and feed them into the 50a Electrical panel. This gives you inverter power to all circuits inside your coach in one simple/clean installation. I truly wish this had been available when I was installing my system.

While the Victron 3000 Multiplus II is a 30 amp Inverter it is designed with a 50 amp internal transfer switch that can handle the full 50 amps supplied by your shore power connection.

I am not trying to promote Victron products with this post, I am saying that they have the best solution I have seen to supply Inverter power for a 50 amp RV.

As far as connecting your battery bank to the RV goes, you will have two connections, one will be your DC - DC Converter and the other will be the cables going to your Inverter/Charger. Your battery bank will be charged by the charger portion of the Inverter/Charger while you are on shore power.

Let me try to draw you a diagram with words:

120 volt system:

Currently, you have two 120v lines feeding your Electrical Breaker box (L1 and L2). With the Victron Multiplus II, you will take the two lines out of the Electrical Breaker box (along with the Neutral and ground wires) and feed them into the Multiplus II, then the two lines coming out of the Multiplus II (L1 and L2) will now feed into the two 50 amp breakers inside your Electrical box (along with a neutral and ground wire).

12 volt system:

Currently, you have a battery supplying power to your coach and an OEM Converter charging your battery when you are on shore power (converter also supplies energy to your 12v devices).

You will now remove the 12v battery and the 12v OEM converter.

You will install your 24 volt battery bank and connect your DC - DC Converter to the wires that were attached to the positive battery post. You will then install heavy cables to your Inverter/Charger. That is basically it; you are supplying 12 volts to all your 12v devices through the DC - DC Converter and you are supplying 24 volts to your Inverter. The Charger portion of the Inverter/Charger will supply 24 volt energy to recharge your batteries as needed.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David,
    Thank you very much for help. Sorry I did get back to you sooner. Spent the weekend with the grandkids. I will be reviewing more indepth what you sent me this week. I have already bought my system so I need to find a way to make everything work. After I have the system install I want to share my experience with those who want it.
    Retired US Navy
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3
    2021 Reflection 260RD
    Pullrite 2600

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12