Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DSI fault will not go off

Waiting to replace electrical unit for hot water heater, been running on propane for the past couple days on our Suburban water heater, propane ran out so “DSI FAULT” light came on from it failing to ignite. Replaced propane and it still won’t turn off the light or heat, how do I fix this to have hot water?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might want to try turning the power off to the water heater. Both switches inside the RV, and the switch on the water heater itself. Turn the power back on after and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leechantee View Post
    Waiting to replace electrical unit for hot water heater, been running on propane for the past couple days on our Suburban water heater, propane ran out so “DSI FAULT” light came on from it failing to ignite. Replaced propane and it still won’t turn off the light or heat, how do I fix this to have hot water?
    Go outside, open the WH door and wiggle the electrical connecter. Lots of time they fail to make a good connection.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, make sure you've purged the air from the propane line by igniting a stove burner and letting it run till the flames are uniformly blue.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all of the good suggestions fails, I'd try to disconnect from shore power then disconnecting the battery for a full rig reset. Sometimes all it takes is a good reboot.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Also, make sure you've purged the air from the propane line by igniting a stove burner and letting it run till the flames are uniformly blue.
    ditto what @geotex1 said.

You'll probably find that the stove won't light right away either after running our of propane or after the rig sits for a long amount of time. Sometimes I have to hold a butane lighter near one of the burners rather than just expect the spark the job done from the igniter on the stove.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leechantee View Post

The DSI uses a 12 volt current (DC/battery) to make sparks which lights up the propane to start the burner to heat your water. If the DSI system fails to light the propane after a set number of attempts/time, you will get a fault and the system shuts itself off (including propane). If you keep getting faults you may have a propane delivery problem somewhere. My switch has a fault/reset light next to it that illuminates until the propane ignites, which can take a few attempts. Once the propane ignites, the fault/reset light goes off but after so many failed attempts the whole system locks itself out and won't retry to light (the reset/fault light will stay on). You can reset the lockout by turning the switch off and back on after about a minute. If there is air in the propane lines, you may have do this a few times.

This was extracted from a post in another forum.

Turning the power off to the RV should accomplish the same thing.

Regards,

Pierre
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch