Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safe to put weight under bed?

I have a 2021 Momentum 381m that I am trying to increase pin weight on. Is it safe to put 400-600lb (sand or similar) in the storage compartment under the bed in the front? (So compartment that shows when you left the queen bed) In other words what is the capacity of that area.
    Last edited by timelinex; 05-05-2022 at 08:08 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    I have a 2021 Momentum 381m that I am trying to increase pin weight on. Is it safe to put 400-600lb (sand or similar) in the storage compartment under the bed in the front? (So compartment that shows when you left the queen bed) In other words what is the capacity of that area.
    That's probably not a good idea. That much weight will definitely dig the rollers into the carpet, potentially ripping it up.

Mark & Mary. Currently hailing from New Mexico and going full time in August 2022.
    Current coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by dig the rollers into the carpet

I'm not sure if you are referring to the 381ms that has the bed slide out? Mine does not slide out, it is the 381m. Here is a picture for reference. The sliding portion is the wardrobe on the left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bed.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	40407
    Last edited by timelinex; 05-05-2022 at 09:41 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are rollers under the bed (yours is a slide out, correct?) to facilitate the side going in and out, just like the slides in the living area.

If you're didn't havea slide for the bed, then never mind what I said. [emoji16]

Mark & Mary. Currently hailing from New Mexico and going full time in August 2022.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bed slide is on rollers that support the weight of the bed (and whatever's under it) while the slide moves in and out. A couple of hears ago - after problems with the rollers tearing up flooring - the rollers were mounted on the floor rather than the underside of the bed. There is still an issue, though, of the strength of the floor of the storage compartment or damaging the slide with that much weight on it while moving it in or out. I don't think it's a good idea.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, check out the edit that I made right as you guys were posting. No bed slide out on the 381m, it is not the 381ms.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, check out the edit that I made right as you guys were posting. No bed slide out on the 381m, it is not the 381ms.
    Guy it, then I really don't know about that much weight. As @Second Chance started, I'm not sure the subfloor will hold that much weight, safely.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the OP trailer has the bed length wise centered on the trailer and (the key parts here) it does not move. The bed is NOT is a slide.

I could be wrong.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To borrow a quote from The Wizard of Oz, "Now that's a horse of a different color!." If the weight is distributed evenly and the floor can support it, I don't see why not. Personally, I wouldn't want to give up the storage space. Can't you find something heavy to store under there that would be more useful than sand? I could get a lot of 12 packs of Fresca under there. That would be pretty heavy.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    To borrow a quote from The Wizard of Oz, "Now that's a horse of a different color!." If the weight is distributed evenly and the floor can support it, I don't see why not. Personally, I wouldn't want to give up the storage space. Can't you find something heavy to store under there that would be more useful than sand? I could get a lot of 12 packs of Fresca under there. That would be pretty heavy.

Rob
    The bold part is the crux of the question! I called GD customer service TWICE today about this and a few other things and after 20 minutes on hold they disconnected the call both times saying (prerecorded) they are too busy and I can leave a message if I want but can't stay on hold. I don't trust them to call me back same day when they can't even keep up with phone calls as is. Not too happy about it, but I will call back later today again.

We aren't full timers, so we don't actually pack that much in there. The only reason we are at 19k LB is the 2,100# SxS (and our huge water tank over the axles was probably half full)... The large SxS is also the main reason why we have this large of trailer in the first place. Nothing substantially smaller that fit it with a seperate garage. Otherwise, all we are packing are a box of tools that is already in the front, clothes for a few days, food, and some toys for the kids. Not sure what else there is if your not living out of there. Only need so much Fresca. But I admit that I may just be lacking imagination!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast