User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I've only ever used auto slider hitches. I had a Pullrite and many years ago and am now using a Demco Hitchiker and am very satisfied.

It is heavy, requiring no less than 2 strong people to remove it from the bed (or a hoist thing).

I like the comfort feeling that I never have to worry about hitting the cab, no matter the slope or angle, I don't have to exit my vehicle to allow it to slide.

I'm going to take exception about moving the hitch point rear-ward of the axel (or puck mounting point) as it skews the weight distribution between the front and rear.

Full disclosure - I have ordered a long bed (till SRW) and will be changing to a Reese Gooseneck to gain weight carrying capacity and loose the 300 pound hitch.
    I wonder how much pin weight you will save. I am sure the gooseneck will weigh way more than a normal pin box.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Trailer Saver full air ride hitch and absolutely love it. I'm hoping it will be the last one I buy.

It is not a slider so it won't help with the short bed and it is very heavy. But for my application it works great.

Wrestling a 300 lb hitch is actually a breeze. The manufacturer suggested I lift the hitch with the trailer and after some practice it's almost as easy to hook and unhook that way as the "normal" way. If I need the truck empty, I just release the puck lachtes and raise the trailer. The hitch hangs on the trailer until next time.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B & W all the way. I installed the Turnover Ball system in our 2006 F250 Super-Duty Diesel. I can honestly this was one of the best decisions I ever made. With the companion locked into the Turnover Ball There is ABSOLUTELY NO HITCH NOISE of any kind!!! Ours is rated for a 20K 5er. Since it the Turnover Ball comes with the 'ball' I "could" pull a gooseneck set-up if I wanted...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    B & W all the way. I installed the Turnover Ball system in our 2006 F250 Super-Duty Diesel. I can honestly this was one of the best decisions I ever made. With the companion locked into the Turnover Ball There is ABSOLUTELY NO HITCH NOISE of any kind!!! Ours is rated for a 20K 5er. Since it the Turnover Ball comes with the 'ball' I "could" pull a gooseneck set-up if I wanted...
    What did the install run? And when did you have it done?
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 385GK-R (40') and a RAM dually with a B&W 20K hitch. Using it for almost three years and went to west coast and back with no issues. Total distance about 6K miles. Very durable hitch, powder-coat paint and is very strong. We had the puck system in the floor of our 8' bed. A little pricey, but it is a low maintenance and reliable piece of hardware. Good luck and happy RVing...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the pull rite auto slider for about 2 years now, very satisfied. It got me though navigation in tight and what normally would have been super-stress situations without the auto slide piece. Take it out by myself, remove the head, slide it back on some boards onto a steel roller table to store. Same in reverse to re-install. Very easy. Looked at other hitch options and can't find a good reason to make a change.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    I wonder how much pin weight you will save. I am sure the gooseneck will weigh way more than a normal pin box.
    I've done the math on that weight savings:

If I replace the current MorRyde pin box with a Reese Gooseneck and stop using the Demco Hitchhiker auto slider (which by itself weights 331 lbs), I save (or loose) 199 pounds.

If I used a Gen-Y I could save 225 lbs.

Even if I don't go the goosebox route, using a Demco 20k Companion I save 177 lbs.

All this assumes that the MorRyde pin box only weighs 38 lbs. Every place I look that what it says but that seems pretty light.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re making the switch from a bumper pull trailer to a 280RS fifth wheel. Our TV is a 2020 Chevy 2500HD. No one knows what the future holds, but we’re going into this with the intent that we will keep this rig for a long time. The truck did not come equipped for fifth wheel towing. With our bumper pull trailer, the truck always drove like there was nothing behind us. No straining, no bouncing. Just a smooth ride no matter the terrain or road condition.

In researching 5er hitches, I’ve read a lot about people who have chosen air ride hitches (like Hensley). But never having towed a 5er before, I really don’t know how much of an issue “chucking” will be and if it’s worth the extra cost from the beginning.

So I’m looking for advice, experience, and opinions about buying a B&W or Curt from the start versus the expense of an air ride hitch from the start.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    +2 on B&W hitch hands down.
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 GMC 3500HD CC-SRW-SB Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just purchased a 310GK with a Morryde. TV is a 2022 3500HD Duramax with the 5th wheel prep. I planned to go with B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Chevy/GMC Towing Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs. It looks like this is a solid set up. As this is my 1st 5th wheel, just wanting to be sure this would meet the needs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast