Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good idea but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    A lot of people use something like this for the lighter, 2-axle trailers:

https://smile.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid...8-1-spons&th=1

It weights a lot less than something like a bottle jack.

Rob
    1.0 out of 5 stars Ordered and received this product for my 39 foot 5th ...
    Reviewed in the United States on November 29, 2016
    Ordered and received this product for my 39 foot 5th wheel that has leaf spring tandem axles. It didn't work. Called the manufacturer (Camco), and they say it won't work on leaf spring suspensions.(which is 98% of most trailers). They say it will ONLY WORK on TORSION TYPE suspension. ***Wish they would have mentioned that in the product description.****
    Images in this review
    Customer imageCustomer image

Maybe a user could chime in before I order this. Good idea but if it doesn't work with leaf springs what good is it.?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that you should not use a bottle jack on an axle, but if you could raise one axle higher using that Camco device, the bottle jack for the other axle may not be that taxing for the axle.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be totally off base, but considering the way the equalizers work, if one wheel is lifted then the equalizer would force the other wheel down. That would create more downforce, meaning the wheel would take more effort to lift. Or am I all wet with this thinking?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed the drums to inspect the internals and did it this way. I can say, the jack was much easier to lift the lower axle.

But you are correct, the equalizer would transmit some of the load to the other axle, I just do not know how much load that would be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have and use several of the items already mentioned. 8k jack stands from Harbor Freight, wood blocks, and Rapid jack. Have not had to use them ‘yet’ on a blow out, but they work great for yearly axle maintenance, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a six ton bottle jack and a smaller travel trailer, say my MLE at around three tons, could you not lift at the mount for the rubber/absorber? It would lift both wheels up but at least the bad tire is off the ground. Or is this bad technique? The day before I replaced my suspension with CRE3000 I had Goodyears installed. The tire shop lifted at this point on the OEM absorber. I did cringe a bit but after considering the geometry and weight I thought it was an ok technique. Comments?
    Randy and Kris

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345