User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LiFePO4 location

I see many of you do installs of LiFePO4 batteries on the inside of the camper. I understand since it is sealed there are no gases. But why? Theft deterrent? More room?

Sorry I am asking so many questions in the forums. Just trying to keep us safe and do things the correct way.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several reasons folks relocate LiFePO4 batteries... closer to converter/chargers and inverters to shorten runs of heavy gauge wire, more and better space for larger battery banks, and - one not always thought about by those without experience with lithium - move them inside a heated space so one doesn't have to worry about heating pads or internally heated batteries for use in cold weather. Our BB LiFePO4 batteries are in the front compartment in their original position, but have thermostatically controlled heating pads on them.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There are several reasons folks relocate LiFePO4 batteries... closer to converter/chargers and inverters to shorten runs of heavy gauge wire, more and better space for larger battery banks, and - one not always thought about by those without experience with lithium - move them inside a heated space so one doesn't have to worry about heating pads or internally heated batteries for use in cold weather. Our BB LiFePO4 batteries are in the front compartment in their original position, but have thermostatically controlled heating pads on them.

Rob
    You more than likely have a battery bank. I would just be doing one maybe two. If no cold weather camping I should be good with the battery where the current FLA is?
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    You more than likely have a battery bank. I would just be doing one maybe two. If no cold weather camping I should be good with the battery where the current FLA is?
    No - we only have two 100AH LiFePO4 batteries in the stock location. Lithium batteries can sit at cold temperatures, they just don't like to be discharged or charged at very cold temps (you can read about it on the Battle Born web site). On a travel trailer, the batteries are sitting outside and more exposed, though - and at higher risk for theft. I would be more worried about that in your case than cold weather.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    Rob. Could you please share information on your thermostatically controlled heating pads?
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No - we only have two 100AH LiFePO4 batteries in the stock location. Lithium batteries can sit at cold temperatures, they just don't like to be discharged or charged at very cold temps (you can read about it on the Battle Born web site). On a travel trailer, the batteries are sitting outside and more exposed, though - and at higher risk for theft. I would be more worried about that in your case than cold weather.

Rob
    Are you protecting the batteries at all? For example, I have RC planes. I store them in a bag that if the batteries blow all I should get is smoke and the bag should keep my house from burning down.

I will look into what people are doing about putting the batteries in the TT.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you protecting the batteries at all? For example, I have RC planes. I store them in a bag that if the batteries blow all I should get is smoke and the bag should keep my house from burning down.

Most likely, the RC batteries are Lithium Ion batteries.......am I correct? The LiFePO battery is still considered Lithium based, but it is a completely different chemistry than a Li-on battery and much, much safer.....to the point that precautions that are applied to Li-0n batteries are not needed with LiFePO.....or LFP for short.

LFP should never be charge when temperature are below freezing, as a general rule. They can however be discharged safely down to about -30 to maybe -35°C.....or -22°F
    Last edited by xrated; 05-27-2022 at 08:11 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I do the plane thing too, but note that these LiFe (Lithium Iron) batteries are a completely different chemistry than the LiPo's you are used to for propulsion. (In RC, they are usually only used for flight packs in a fuel plane, or for transmitters). Their voltage is a bit lower than the LiPo's, hence overall power output is less. Originally made by the A123 company based on research by MIT. Noted for being many orders of magnitude safer than the more powerful LiPo's. Many, many videos of people doing all sorts of bad things to them to try and get them to ignite, and it is very, very hard to do. A123 went out of business, but the tech migrated to China and is used by many battery companies. There is a US company trying to get started producing them here again.
    For things like cell phones, hoverboards, bikes, laptops that people always complain about running out of power too soon, companies tend toward higher power output lithium chemistries and depend on their production standards and built in systems to keep them from catching fire. But in cases where size/weight/max power aren't as critical (RV's, boats, etc), LiFe batteries are a clearly better/safer choice.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I do the plane thing too, but note that these LiFe (Lithium Iron) batteries are a completely different chemistry than the LiPo's you are used to for propulsion. (In RC, they are usually only used for flight packs in a fuel plane, or for transmitters). Their voltage is a bit lower than the LiPo's, hence overall power output is less. Originally made by the A123 company based on research by MIT. Noted for being many orders of magnitude safer than the more powerful LiPo's. Many, many videos of people doing all sorts of bad things to them to try and get them to ignite, and it is very, very hard to do. A123 went out of business, but the tech migrated to China and is used by many battery companies. There is a US company trying to get started producing them here again.
    For things like cell phones, hoverboards, bikes, laptops that people always complain about running out of power too soon, companies tend toward higher power output lithium chemistries and depend on their production standards and built in systems to keep them from catching fire. But in cases where size/weight/max power aren't as critical (RV's, boats, etc), LiFe batteries are a clearly better/safer choice.
    Thanks both of you. I may look at the lockable box on the A frame option. If people want in they will get in whether it is in a locked box or behind a locked hatch. At least in my head.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are batteries really stolen? I cannot see a thief roaming camp grounds looking for those with lithium batteries. Especially when they are all of the ones I ever see are inside a battery box. Now if you advertise you have lithium batteries in your rig, I would question why that is and lock them up.

The benefits that I see having them mounted internally are, the environment and shorter cables for an inverter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast