User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Battery options

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    This information is true but how often does an RV pull those kind of loads that it would matter? When the loads are much smaller, the battery voltages would all even out.

I'm not saying it does not matter and if you like your A/C on 24/7, then you should be focusing in on the most efficient routing.

I suspect most of us would never get to 100amps long enough that it would effect the capacity of the batteries. The inverter would probably be the biggest draw and how often is that really being pushed? Microwave? Hair dryer? But those are short term draws. I just cannot see a 20-30amp draw screwing up the capacity all that much. I'm not saying it would not, just not enough to be that concerned about.

On the other hand, if you are going to do it right, why not check out all the options and pick one that is right for you.
    If you are running a standard RV with it's attendant 12v systems this would not be an issue. Where it does become an issue is when you introduce an Inverter to your RV electrical system. An inverter could easily draw well over 100 amps and if the load is attached to the first battery in a string, this would place an unnecessary burden on that primary battery. As discussed, in multiple battery configurations, it is best to at least attach the load to the first and last battery in your battery bank. Beyond that recommendation, the study contains a couple of additional options to minimize the strain on any single battery.

By-the-way, some people are installing enough battery and Inverter capacity to run their Air Conditioners for a few hours, so, battery configuration becomes very important in those more robust systems.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    By-the-way, some people are installing enough battery and Inverter capacity to run their Air Conditioners for a few hours, so, battery configuration becomes very important in those more robust systems.
    Yep, I could run my AC for a few hours. My inverter could potentially draw 300 Amps. Since the BMS on my batteries is limited to 100 Amps, if the load was attached to a single battery, even though I have plenty of capacity, the most I could access at a time would be 100 Amps.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the study I mentioned above, when the load is connected to only one battery there is a disproportionate draw from the first battery in the parallel string. This disproportional draw is lessened if the load is connected to the first and last battery in the string, however, in a longer parallel string (say 4 batteries) even if you attach the load to the middle batteries the load places a disproportional draw from the battery(ies) the load is attached to. The only way to draw evenly from all batteries in a battery bank is to attach all the batteries to buss bars and then attach the load to the buss bars.

Here is the study I mentioned...

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
    Thanks for posting the link.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are running a standard RV with it's attendant 12v systems this would not be an issue. Where it does become an issue is when you introduce an Inverter to your RV electrical system. An inverter could easily draw well over 100 amps and if the load is attached to the first battery in a string, this would place an unnecessary burden on that primary battery. As discussed, in multiple battery configurations, it is best to at least attach the load to the first and last battery in your battery bank. Beyond that recommendation, the study contains a couple of additional options to minimize the strain on any single battery.

I do not think most people plan on running the A/C on their batteries but without a doubt, there are a few. I do not plan on doing that but I will be planning my system to allow me if I choose to. As you know, keeping your spouse happy is a good goal in life.

Not certain if there is a single battery that could deliver 300A, I think it would be better to share that load among several banks. The two batteries I have will be limited to 200A and that should be able to handing the worst that the inverter will demand [300A]. Eventually, with three batteries, that will bring the demands on each battery even lower.

Although, I do agree that routing the batteries to drain them evenly, I also know that it's the high demands that will dictate how important it really is. As I mentioned, how long does a microwave run? Blender? etc. Of course, we are all different so if you are going to be using the inverter at full tilt, route the batteries properly. If you are not using an inverter, I just don't think the routing is as important. The batteries will even out when the loads are at idle.

All systems are different. Peoples requirements are different. There is no one size fits all. Planning for your needs will get you further than following the leader. I'm hoping my system will be perfect for me, but I highly doubt if I move to Florida, that it would be perfect there. God knows with the price of fuel, I'm not driving there. I did that last year.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567