User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel Overnight Stops

When we stop for the night, we always find a KOA (or similar) and ask for a level pull-through site. They almost always have these for travellers. (We never do the Walmart lot thing for safety and dog walking reasons.)

I have always dropped the front legs and sometimes the rear stabilizers . . . based on advice here and elsewhere. This results is a half stabilized and half not configuration which is not comfortable.

This current trip to Florida, we have tried something different. We level side-to-side with our Andersen levellers and trim the fore/aft with the air bags in the truck. This leaves the whole RV level but sitting on springs. The slides go out (and come back in) with no issues.

We find the “motion” of our “floating RV” to be different than camping set up, but very comfortable for the night. (This might be because we are used to our boat).

This really simplifies and expedites leaving in the morning .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could have stopped in my driveway , pretty level and big yard for the dogs and cat.

Brian

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it funny how some people are bothered by motion in an RV. Like you former boaters. Quick stops I just drop the front jacks to firm up a little. If the pad is off level a bit I unhook and level. I don't want to bind the slides.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    We level side-to-side with our Andersen levellers and trim the fore/aft with the air bags in the truck. ... This really simplifies and expedites leaving in the morning .
    With our 315RLTS we also level side-to-side with the Anderson's and then use the powered tongue jack to level out front-to-back (we find a spot that if not level will put us nose low) for an overnight stay. We'll put down the powered stabilizers but that's it. Absolutely makes it much easier to leave in the morning--no wrestling with the Blue Ox.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel Overnight Stops

Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    With our 315RLTS we also level side-to-side with the Anderson's and then use the powered tongue jack to level out front-to-back (we find a spot that if not level will put us nose low) for an overnight stay. We'll put down the powered stabilizers but that's it. Absolutely makes it much easier to leave in the morning--no wrestling with the Blue Ox. [emoji35]
    Not trying to thread jack, but can you comment on the wrestling with the blue ox? We’re several years away from purchasing our trailer, but I thought the blue ox was a highly recommended product. Is it just the “work” of hooking up a weight distributing hitch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by SeanandKandace; 11-17-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanandKandace View Post
    Not trying to thread jack, it can you comment on the wrestling with the blue ox? We’re several years away from purchasing our trailer, but I thought the blue ox was a highly recommended product. Is it just the “work” of hooking up a weight distributing hitch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Yep, we're definitely hijacking Rob's thread. (Sorry!) Below are a few posts to read--please start a new thread if you have further questions/comments on the Blue Ox. Note that other forum members do not have the same issues. Why I haven't quite figured out (yet). If you use the Advanced Search feature and enter "Blue Ox" in the Key Word field and my username (in the..wait for it...username field!) then click Search. You'll find a lot of related reading.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...highlight=Blue

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post198256 (starts in post 12 and see post 22, too.)

This one is more applicable to your other question, but worth a look, too: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...highlight=Blue
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we stop for one this is what we do. We get a level pull thru site (we double tow most of the time). I don't put any jacks down. We do put the slides out and hook to electric. I like to keep it simple for leaving the next morning.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I have always dropped the front legs and sometimes the rear stabilizers . . . based on advice here and elsewhere. This results is a half stabilized and half not configuration which is not comfortable.
    Rob, is there a reason OTHER than comfort/stability that you dropped the legs in the past?

We've spent a few nights just on the pin, no legs down. Your new approach makes me think that's OK, but your reference to "advice" above made me wonder if there was an equipment-related reason not to to that.

Our trailer has been very stable just on the pin. I'm a big heavy guy, but no problem, not much motion at all. In fact our truck has a motion detection alarm, sensitive enough that a 15-pound dog can set it off, yet we've moved around and gone to bed hooked to the truck with no stabilizers without setting off the alarm.

Slides have been fine; sites were all pretty level.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We put the front stabilizers down just to take some weight off the truck. I don't like the thought of all that weight just sitting there all night. As easy as it is to drop and pick up the front it sounded like a good idea.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We put the front stabilizers down just to take some weight off the truck. I don't like the thought of all that weight just sitting there all night. As easy as it is to drop and pick up the front it sounded like a good idea.
    That's what we do - drop the front jacks down just enough to take some of the weight. Rarely, we'll need to also put the back ones down just to keep it from wiggling too much.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast