Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey tank content level indicators

Coming up on 2 years of RVing what I call 3/4 time, I understand why the Black tank content level indicators fail to be accurate and some of the solutions available to help them be as accurate as possible. However, when it comes to Grey tanks, what could possibly be obstructing or hanging up on the indicators that would cause them to return a false reading? I'm not sure about other RV'ers but in my grey tanks, the type of liquid that goes down is pretty much water that has been mixed with liquid soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc, nothing solid or anything that I can think of that may be able to hang up on the sending unit that would cause an inaccurate reading on the level of liquid in the tank. Any / all tips and experiences in this area would be much appreciated. TY

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What makes it even more frustrating is having 2 gray tanks, using the extra gate valve on the end of the pipe, and opening the gray valves to equalize the 2 tanks and 1 reads full when empty but the other is fine......my black has been fine full timing now for almost 2 years
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i’ve not heard that it’s necessary or helpful to open both greys at the same time but if you’ve had good luck with that, i’ll try it. Also maybe we can get others to contribute their experience to this issue. Thanks!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    Coming up on 2 years of RVing what I call 3/4 time, I understand why the Black tank content level indicators fail to be accurate and some of the solutions available to help them be as accurate as possible. However, when it comes to Grey tanks, what could possibly be obstructing or hanging up on the indicators that would cause them to return a false reading? I'm not sure about other RV'ers but in my grey tanks, the type of liquid that goes down is pretty much water that has been mixed with liquid soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc, nothing solid or anything that I can think of that may be able to hang up on the sending unit that would cause an inaccurate reading on the level of liquid in the tank. Any / all tips and experiences in this area would be much appreciated. TY
    I am having the exact same issues with my gray tanks. Never had that issue with my Rockwood so really don't understand it now in the 297RSTS.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sensors are inaccurate as well. I rarely check mine anymore. I have a good feel for usage and know when I need to dump. If anything, I err on the side of dumping more than I have to. On a full hook-up site, this has a pretty minimal impact; when I don't have full hook-ups, it's maybe a 45 minute task, making a couple of trips back and forth with the portable tote.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i’ve not heard that it’s necessary or helpful to open both greys at the same time but if you’ve had good luck with that, i’ll try it. Also maybe we can get others to contribute their experience to this issue. Thanks!
    Because the gray tanks can be at slightly different levels depending on the model of RV they may not fill up at the same time - but using a gate valve and leaving the upper valves open allows you to fill both thanks (one before the other if that's how it happens) before you have to dump. We have done it that way for over four years and find it very convenient.

As for the level indicators in gray tanks, in all of our RVs we have found that they are slower to "gunk up" than the blank tank, but they eventually do. If you wash dishes or use the kitchen sink, there are small food particles and other matter that ends up in the gray tanks. Different soaps (especially hard bath soaps that contain talc) leave a powdery residue everywhere. Search this and other forums for "geo method" to learn how old timers/full-timers periodically clean their tanks and sensors. In the long run, most of us lean to get by without the sensors and now how many days we can normally go before the tanks fill up.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 11-04-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great stuff, thank you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jims94vmx: is it really necessary to "open the gray valves to equalize the 2 (gray) tanks"? May be true but I've not heard of that before, can you give some more background info on that?
    I'm never afraid to learn more. thanks!!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jims94vmx: is it really necessary to "open the gray valves to equalize the 2 (gray) tanks"? May be true but I've not heard of that before, can you give some more background info on that?
    I'm never afraid to learn more. thanks!!
    Forum hint: if you use "Reply With Quote," @Jims94vmx will get a notification (as I've done here quoting you).

If you keep both gray tank valves closed, the kitchen will drain into one and the bathroom will drain into the other. If you put a blade valve at the outlet (closed) and open both gray tank valves, both tanks will fill up no matter where you use the water. If you use more water showering, etc., than you do washing dishes, it just allows you to use the capacity of both tanks instead of filling one up faster than the other. (Keep the black tank valve closed during normal use.)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    roger that! thanks.