User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    That's what I thought.... The thing that sets a fifth wheel (gooseneck) apart from a bumper pull is the ability to get the truck 90 degrees to the trailer. That is true going forward as well as backing. It's hard to explain this in words without pictures but I'll try.

In this scenario suppose you came down the road forward and pulled past the driveway all the way to the end of the road. You then backed up, turning the truck hard right. The result would be the trailer is still straight with the road, but the truck is pointed straight into the driveway. The hitch is also even with the driveway. That means that when you pull forward, the trailer will initially pivot before it starts to move forward meaning the trailer will almost be lined up with the driveway before it even starts to roll.

Think of the same scenario, when you start turning the truck thirty feet earlier. The truck is making the turn and the trailer is following but will the large off track.

Not sure if it makes sense in words, but I submit that if you can get to 90 degrees, you can make any turn forward that you can backwards.
    I drive for a living and what you are describing is a concept very few people understand. Kudos to you for knowing this manuever. The only thing to watch is that it does create a little more tail swing.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @lorend

Thank you! I was starting to think I was speaking a foreign language. Fairly late in my career, I was introduced to what they called "double jacking". Made me think of driving trailers in a whole new way.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saldog View Post
    As Backtrack2015 stated a TT or as some call a bumper hitch trailer will track very closely to the tow vehicles tire tracks. A 5th wheel camper or goose neck trailer under track, the trailers tires will track to the inside of the tow vehicles tire tracks, e.g. if there was snow on the ground and the 5th wheel trailer made a right turn the trailers tire tracks would be on the inside of the tow vehicles tire tracks. That is why when turning corners 5th wheel campers have to swing alittle wider. On the plus side as noted you can really jack knife a 5th when backing.

Good luck in getting your camper, happy travels. GO CHIEFS!!!
    Yes, exactly, that's the reason my delivery guy cannot turn in from the road, it's too narrow for the shortcut the fifth wheel takes (and the tail swing might take our neighbor's mailbox out).

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    That's what I thought.... The thing that sets a fifth wheel (gooseneck) apart from a bumper pull is the ability to get the truck 90 degrees to the trailer. That is true going forward as well as backing. It's hard to explain this in words without pictures but I'll try.

In this scenario suppose you came down the road forward and pulled past the driveway all the way to the end of the road. You then backed up, turning the truck hard right. The result would be the trailer is still straight with the road, but the truck is pointed straight into the driveway. The hitch is also even with the driveway. That means that when you pull forward, the trailer will initially pivot before it starts to move forward meaning the trailer will almost be lined up with the driveway before it even starts to roll.

Think of the same scenario, when you start turning the truck thirty feet earlier. The truck is making the turn and the trailer is following but will the large off track.

Not sure if it makes sense in words, but I submit that if you can get to 90 degrees, you can make any turn forward that you can backwards.
    Makes sense, need to try this out.

It looks like we're going with a bumper trailer in the near future, because I'm convinced we can work this out without having to remove the gate. Thanks!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, the only advantage to a pull trailer, over a Fifth wheel, is being able to put stuff in the truck bed with a pull trailer. Tall stuff..........And, to some extent price....
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123