Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trouble changing bathroom faucet!

Trying to change bathroom faucet, but the nuts holding it on must have red loctite on them! Put a wrench on them and hearing the faucet trying to crack and they still will not come loose! I have changed many faucets, including one on an RV, but never had any this tight! Anyone have any ideas how to make the plastic turn loose? If it were metal I would heat it or put penetrating fluid on it, but not sure what to do with plastic? I am afraid if I turn with any more force I will crack the thin plastic sink!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try a small saw blade and try to cut it or maybe some wire cutters and try to cut it that way. There just plastic so it shouldn’t be to bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharp Chisel Straight up on both sides split it
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really odd you're fighting those so badly unless they were cross-threaded. You can always pop the sink to get at them much easier and without causing damage to the sink. No big deal to disconnect the downpipe from the trap.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    It's really odd you're fighting those so badly unless they were cross-threaded. You can always pop the sink to get at them much easier and without causing damage to the sink. No big deal to disconnect the downpipe from the trap.
    Yeah, never dreamed of all the faucets I have changed, this one would be the one to give me the most trouble! I told my wife I may have to pull the sink, but hoped to get it without all that trouble! Never would have thought you could get a plastic nut that tight without breaking it! That is why I wondered if they put loctite on it?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scocciante View Post
    Sharp Chisel Straight up on both sides split it
    Might be an option? Have not thought of that. Wonder if the rest of the sink and pipe would take that jolt without cracking? All the plastic around it is thinner than the nuts.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suber81083 View Post
    Try a small saw blade and try to cut it or maybe some wire cutters and try to cut it that way. There just plastic so it shouldn’t be to bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not enough room for a saw, I could not even get my basin wrench around it, had to buy a specialty tool for removing but have had no luck with it either. It is so tight, it seems like it will break off the threaded pipe before it comes loose! It is up in a recessed hole, very hard to get to.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    Yeah, never dreamed of all the faucets I have changed, this one would be the one to give me the most trouble! I told my wife I may have to pull the sink, but hoped to get it without all that trouble! Never would have thought you could get a plastic nut that tight without breaking it! That is why I wondered if they put loctite on it?
    No, no thread locker, bit likely will have the neoprene washer under it. When contact is even, the washer will really resist turning. Sometimes it helps to have someone press down on the faucet while you loosen and you have to make sure all of your force is in the twist and not pushing upward.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only other possible tool is a multi tool
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    No, no thread locker, bit likely will have the neoprene washer under it. When contact is even, the washer will really resist turning. Sometimes it helps to have someone press down on the faucet while you loosen and you have to make sure all of your force is in the twist and not pushing upward.
    I am trying to be careful, but have already broken one ear off one of the nuts! May try one more time! Scocciante mentioned a multi tool, reminded me the ol oscillating saw may be the best way to go! I might be able to cut the nut off without messing up anything else. Thanks for all the ideas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast