0 Thread(s)
    Thanks -- good advice!
    2020 GD Imagine 2970-RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this answer is a little late but: there are a few questions that need to be answered before your question can be answered. Are you using your water pump or campsite water? If the latter, is their outlet heated? If so, are you running a heated hose? If so, then I suspect your low point drains are freezing and allowing your water line to freeze. Happened to me. You could point your heater at the low point drains but that would be a huge waste of heat. Instead, I’d suggest either building up some insulation over the drains or, what I did was cut the black underbelly just enough to push the drains up into the basement. This is temporary and will need to be reversed as soon as the freezing weather has ended. Obviously you need to be running your furnace to heat the underbelly.

Now, if you’re using the water pump and the fresh water tank, I don’t think your propane heater is going to help. Your low point drains could still be the culprit in this situation.

Also, someone mentioned letting your faucets drip. Be careful with that because your grey tank can fill up or, if you have your grey valve open, your sewer hose will freeze SOLID and will take days to thaw. Your propane heater might but useable for THAT though. lol

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Thebohs; 01-08-2022 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switch Hoses

[QUOTE=FT4NOW;408825]Is it the water line to the RV or the internal RV plumbing?

If the water line to the RV is frozen, best way to thaw it would be heat tape and some 1/2" foam pipe insulation.

My waterline from the KOA campground to my rig froze last month. I simply swapped out with a spare water hose and left the water running the next night.

Bob II
    Bob & Belinda
    Part timers headed to full timing, based in Mansfield, TX
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 295RL with Trailair Turning Point
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 High Country, 4x4, SRW, B&W Companion Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks -- good info.

As for running the inside heater overnight -- which of course I would be doing when it's that cold outside -- does the underbelly heat up better by running the electric heater in the den area (in my case it's the fake fireplace), or by running the central unit/propane ...or does it not matter?
    2020 GD Imagine 2970-RL

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The underbelly is only directly heated by the propane furnace. You might get a bit of bleed through with the electric heat, but not much.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider first establishing if it is frozen between the spigot and the rv. ( turn off at spigot if not frozen, then disconnect hose from rv, turn on hose to see if water runs out. If no water you know problem is inside the rv. Then use some of previous suggestions. Sorry for your problems, good luck with the fix.
    2015 Ram Tradesman 3500 DRW puck-B&W
    2015 Reflection 29RS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correction to last post ; word "no" should not be in second sentence.
    2015 Ram Tradesman 3500 DRW puck-B&W
    2015 Reflection 29RS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    Hello, my water pipes froze last night and I'm hoping they thaw today before the next freeze again tonight.
    However, I am going to pick up a portable propane heater later today.
    Where should I aim this -- at the water source/faucet outlet? Or should I place it underneath the RV somewhere? If the latter, what do I aim at?
    Thanks!
    Electric hair drier works good for thawing stuff. A heat gun does too.

You still never answered if the line to the trailer is frozen or, if lines inside are. Disconnect the line in and see if you have a flow.

Run your furnace. The fireplace will not warm the underbelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you run your electric heater in the den, that may prevent the furnace from running, due to the temperature being too high. So if you’re trying to heat up the underbelly, I’d suggest not rubbing electric heat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few thoughts for all experiencing similar issues.

First, if possible before posting, try to determine and articulate if your freeze issue is internal, external, both, or unknown. There are so many options for dealing with frozen lines, but it will help everyone to have a sense of the specifics if possible.

Second, because there are so many relatively simple fixes (and other more complex fixes), I can’t imagine ever using a portable propane heater to resolve the problem, as it seems to be incredibly dangerous in virtually any application. In my opinion, the risk is too great.

Anyway, from using hair dryers, heat guns, small electric heaters, incandescent bulbs, heat tape/foam, heated hoses, etc., there are just too many safer options available, particularly if it’s possible to use them proactively, especially for those models without heated tanks, etc.

There are MANY horror stories associated with trying to thaw pipes or heat up rigs in cold weather.

Best wishes (and safe outcomes) to everyone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast