User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    WOW. That's a scary close call. We are very glad this was not worse and everyone is Ok.

I was hesitating on adding another extinguisher (already added one in basement and spread a few mini's around the RV). New one will be ordered tonight and installed before the next trip.
    Also going to replace any batteries and test detectors. A lesson learned at your expense.

Hope they can make it right and get you back in operation.

Rob
    We test our detectors before every trip. We actually had to replace the carbon monoxide detector in the bedroom a couple of months ago because when we tested it, it sounded like a wounded baby bird. Now it's a carbon monoxide/smoke detector combo.

We have 2 fire extinguishers inside the rig, one right inside the door, and one by the the bedroom door. As well as 2 small ones in the truck. Adding one in the pass through sounds like a good idea.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We have 2 fire extinguishers inside the rig, one right inside the door, and one by the the bedroom door....
    Same here. IMO, the one in the bedroom is the MOST important one to add. Want to be able fend off any flames while escaping any way possible. And then, once out, decide on how much of a hero I want to be. As much as I hate paying ins payments, I definetly want to live to pay the next one.

With all the comments on wiring issues and burning campers, will defintely start considering CGs with wide sites!
    Last edited by trailrydr; 03-09-2022 at 07:40 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Same here. IMO, the one in the bedroom is the MOST important one to add. Want to be able fend off any flames while escaping any way possible. And then, once out, decide on how much of a hero I want to be. As much as I hate paying ins payments, I definetly want to live to pay the next one.

With all the comments on wiring issues and burning campers, will defintely start considering CGs with wide sites!
    My thoughts exactly. Get out of the trailer, then decide what else to worry about.

I’ve used extinguishers on the road a few times, but fortunately for me always for others.

I keep one in the basement storage, but I’d like to move it to a propane compartment so I don’t have to fool with keys. Just haven’t figured out if I trust the mount.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We test our detectors before every trip. We actually had to replace the carbon monoxide detector in the bedroom a couple of months ago because when we tested it, it sounded like a wounded baby bird. Now it's a carbon monoxide/smoke detector combo.

We have 2 fire extinguishers inside the rig, one right inside the door, and one by the the bedroom door. As well as 2 small ones in the truck. Adding one in the pass through sounds like a good idea.
    An excellent idea,.. that is now my plan. Replacing the one inside the door and mount one in the bedroom. I am also adding one in the truck as well. If it happens while we are towing, I don't want to fight my way INTO the RV for an extinguisher. I have a feeling that I am a bit slow with getting one in the truck. It seems most people have that first.

Where in the bedroom? Not much room to mount where I won't bump into it. I was thinking about up next to the TV, but that's where the smoke would be. I'll have to study this a bit and see what works for both the wife and I to access it easily.

Yes, testing detectors added to the trip list. Was currently doing it yearly.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An excellent idea,.. that is now my plan. Replacing the one inside the door and mount one in the bedroom. I am also adding one in the truck as well. If it happens while we are towing, I don't want to fight my way INTO the RV for an extinguisher. I have a feeling that I am a bit slow with getting one in the truck. It seems most people have that first.

Where in the bedroom? Not much room to mount where I won't bump into it. I was thinking about up next to the TV, but that's where the smoke would be. I'll have to study this a bit and see what works for both the wife and I to access it easily.

Rob
    Thinking closet in our case. IMO theres always room for one there somewhere.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    The one in the bedroom is mounted on the curbside exterior wall, near the door into the bathroom. At foot, left side of bed, if lying in bed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26RL floorplan modified.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	39281

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We put one in the propane tank compartment on the curb side (as someone else said, it’s always unlocked so you don’t have to worry about finding the keys when stressed). I put a backer plate on the basement side, so it is quite securely mounted. We have the standard factory-supplied one by the door and a second interior one is mounted to the foot of the bed pedestal. Another backer, and it is very secure and easy to get to. We have a small canister spray model (about the size of a can of spray paint) in the pantry, within easy reach for a quick response to a stove issue.

Lastly, I always carry one in the rear of the truck cab, along with flares, triangles and a reflective vest. All of the safety gear is stowed in the same place, in one Rubbermaid tub with a lid, and it never moves from that spot.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one in the bedroom is mounted on the curbside exterior wall, near the door into the bathroom. At foot, left side of bed, if lying in bed.

Name:	26RL floorplan modified.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	39281
    Yes, I went and looked at the bedroom setup. My bed is turned 90 degrees, but the idea is sound. I have room between the door and the cabinet to fit an extinguisher, and not be in the way. I am trying to decide if I should attach to the wall or the cabinet??

The wall does not have any backing, but the extinguisher is not too big. I don't think it's an issue.
    The cabinet would need a backing board, but its easy to pull a drawer and put one in.

I'm leaning toward mounting to the cabinet. I am adverse to putting any un-needed holes in the outer wall .
    See black circle below:

Name:	310GK.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	647.0 KB 
ID:	39324
    Rob

I never thought to use the GD diagram. Nice idea livinthelife.
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post

As a firefighter seeing someone talk about fighting their way through the flames to escape horrifies me. If there is fire between you and the exit, you are NOT going that way even with a giant extinguisher. It isn’t the fire that kills you it is the smoke. Check out YouTube vids showing how quickly fires grow in a camper/Rv. I have fought several RV and mobile home fires and they are scary stuff. They burn FAST! And put out a lot of toxic smoke that will incapacitate and kill you with one breath. If you are in the bedroom when the fire starts it will have had time to grow a lot by the time you know about it. Most likely, your only course of action at that point is to use the emergency windows. Fires are not like in the movies. Please do not have the false hope that you can use an extinguisher to fight your way through. If you can’t get to the door without an extinguisher I can pretty much guarantee you won’t with an extinguisher. If you can’t use the emergency window in the bedroom, you should seriously consider getting a different camper with a door in the bedroom.
    Your best safety feature is the detectors working properly to alert you to get out fast!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for what Knightclimber stated. I will literally throw my DW out the window and dive out head first before attempting to fight a fire inside of an RV. I've fought a couple fires inside a submarine. There I had no choice. Put the fire out or die. Not the same with an RV. That's why I have insurance.
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast