User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightclimber View Post
    As a firefighter seeing someone talk about fighting their way through the flames to escape horrifies me. If there is fire between you and the exit, you are NOT going that way even with a giant extinguisher. It isn’t the fire that kills you it is the smoke. Check out YouTube vids showing how quickly fires grow in a camper/Rv. I have fought several RV and mobile home fires and they are scary stuff. They burn FAST! And put out a lot of toxic smoke that will incapacitate and kill you with one breath. If you are in the bedroom when the fire starts it will have had time to grow a lot by the time you know about it. Most likely, your only course of action at that point is to use the emergency windows. Fires are not like in the movies. Please do not have the false hope that you can use an extinguisher to fight your way through. If you can’t get to the door without an extinguisher I can pretty much guarantee you won’t with an extinguisher. If you can’t use the emergency window in the bedroom, you should seriously consider getting a different camper with a door in the bedroom.
    Your best safety feature is the detectors working properly to alert you to get out fast!
    I think maybe you misunderstood my post... I have NO plans on fighting any fire. My main goal is to try to stall any flame coming to the area i am trying to escape, especialy a small cramped bedroom with a small escape window, until my wife and I can get out the best way possible.

We are fully aware of the limitations of owning any RV, home, vehicle, etc that can catch fire and take proper precautions likewise by owning a fire extinguisher to help provide for safe EXIT only.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't they make those exit windows bigger is beyond me. Plus everyone loves bigger windows in normal times.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Why don't they make those exit windows bigger is beyond me. Plus everyone loves bigger windows in normal times.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Exactly. I'm not crazy about the "how do I exit that window" scenario. Head first/feet first? Facing forward/facing backwards? And remember to put a blanket over the edge of the window.

There are some of us older folks who really can't contort our bodies that much, not to mention that 9 foot drop to the ground with a bad hip.

Small as our rig is, I would have liked another door in the bedroom where the window is, with some sort of deployable ladder to climb down.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have fire extinguishers installed in the following locations to either fight a fire or as an escape aide:

Total Fire Extinguishers - 9

1. In the back bathroom near the Emergency Exit window
    2. A CO2 (5lb.) or PKP Fire extinguisher inside every cargo door
    3. One extinguisher by the main door
    4. One by the stove inside the cabinet
    5. One in the gen bay
    2020 Solitude 380FL
    2022 F450 King Ranch DRW
    US Submarine Veteran
    USS Queenfish SSN 651

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    , with some sort of deployable ladder to climb down.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, so if it should be a new post, let me know.

Ok, so I have extinguishers all ready to go. The big question in my mind is escape.

I sat on the bed an looked at the escape window for awhile. Not really sure how that's going to work. I can't imagine trying to get out of that window feet first and I don't want to go out head first.
    Does anyone have a YouTube "how to" video on getting out though an escape window?

Deployable ladders? Ropes? Surplus inflatable aircraft slide? Explosive bolts?
    Has anyone actually had to do this?

Now that I am thinking it through, there does not seem to be any good options.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post

Ok, so I have extinguishers all ready to go. The big question in my mind is escape.

I sat on the bed an looked at the escape window for awhile. Not really sure how that's going to work. I can't imagine trying to get out of that window feet first and I don't want to go out head first.
    Does anyone have a YouTube "how to" video on getting out though an escape window?

Rob
    The theory is - you remove the window, and put a blanket on the bottom of the frame. Then you turn around and put your feet out first, so that you will be facing the rig as you dangle from the edge once out the window. Now, HOW you actually maneuver (from possible lying face down on the bed) with your feet out the window to that position ?????? could be tricky for some of us with maneuverability issues.

Anyway, after dangling from the window edge, you drop down (5 feet or so, also an issue with those of us with knee/hip problems) and run away from the rig.

Or, you face the window, and put feet out first, sitting on the edge of the window, THEN (somehow) you turn around as you put whole body out window and then drop down.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 03-15-2022 at 03:09 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post

Rob
    When your trailer is on fire you will be amazed at how fast you can get out that window. Yes you might get hurt. But considering the alternitive....death.....You'll be happy in the end.
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this stuff saved on my computer. Never got around to doing anything though. I've got a video of it in action and will try to find it. Anyhoo could be a solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Buyers-Produc.../dp/B07B3W5SJV

I put some adhesive foam tape on the step
    base where it goes against the motor home, and used 3" x 5/16" stainless steel bolts with stop nuts, and fender washers on the inside. Also put 1.5" felt pads between the washers and the interior wall. I was initially going to reinforce the interior wall with a small piece of plywood to better distribute the weight, but it seems to be holding just fine. Of course the walls on these are built like surfboards, so I wasn't sure how sturdy it would be, but after using it a number of times it seems sturdy enough.

The prop is 3/4" by 1/8" flat aluminum, that you can get in any hardware store (Ace has it). Fastened to the frame with a small machine screw and stop nut. I drilled the hole in the prop off center, so it stops at just about the right spot on its own. If I bump the window going out, it will stay where it should be and not collapse.
    https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...6&d=1632252472
    https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...3&d=1632264581
    https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...7&d=1632252472
    https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...8&d=1632252472
    https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...9&d=1632252472

Hope this may help someone. Regards
    Ken & Margie
    2020 GD 337
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4
    B&W Companion

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    The theory is - you remove the window, and put a blanket on the bottom of the frame. Then you turn around and put your feet out first, so that you will be facing the rig as you dangle from the edge once out the window. Now, HOW you actually maneuver (from possible lying face down on the bed) with your feet out the window to that position ?????? could be tricky for some of us with maneuverability issues.

Anyway, after dangling from the window edge, you drop down (5 feet or so, also an issue with those of us with knee/hip problems) and run away from the rig.

Or, you face the window, and put feet out first, sitting on the edge of the window, THEN (somehow) you turn around as you put whole body out window and then drop down.
    After some thought, I think livinthelife is generally correct. I don't have a bed that will work, there is just a small dresser top that is about 12 to 14 inches deep. Not really much room to move and position feet first.
    I could get my feet out and be sitting on the dresser (facing the wall) and try to lay down and rotate to face down, then push out all the way.
    Another option is to go head first and face up, assuming I can get the window completely out. Then grab an awning (or anything above) and pull myself out.

Wife is short enough I think she can make the feet first transition. I can lock arms and lower her out to a short drop.

I am over thinking this, but I do feel a bit better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Casa_Woody View Post
    When your trailer is on fire you will be amazed at how fast you can get out that window. Yes you might get hurt. But considering the alternitive....death.....You'll be happy in the end.
    To quote Cousin Eddie: "BINGO"
    If required, it will be a swan dive.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting idea to have folding steps. I thought about using Grab Bars just above or below the window. Inside and/or outside, to have something to hold onto while exiting.
    Same problem with wall strength.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast