User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tollbooth widths - dumb question I know....

I see it here in NH, but I'm surprised that an 18 wheeler can fit through some of the tollbooths locally - they are narrow except for the lane on the complete right as you approach - which is not always open even on I-95. I get it - comes with experience. I'm still trying to figure out line of sight center for my 3500 but some of the booths look very narrow. The number of fatal accidents (cars) going through these booths is not low.

Any rules of thumb to pass along for mid-west and northern tier US for the Solitude novice (stay right)? Not sure which states have gone to the overhead high-speed tolls (or even have tolls) but will be traveling through NY, PA, OH, IL, MO, NE, SD, TN, NC, VA for the first long trip - interstates as much as possible. Haven't found anything relevant in the Motor Carriers Road Atlas yet. Done some of the routes with multiple TTs but not with the wider Solitude and since we take delivery in two weeks, I'm already in toll avoidance mode. I'm prepped for height, but normally don't drive toll roads until yesterday. That was an eye opener. Didn't stop to measure, but I'd be surprised if there was more than 6" on either side of of the wheels in some lanes. And, didn't think to measure width at the outer edge of tires on it yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tollbooth.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	39463
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When extended, your towing mirrors are wider than the trailer. Gauge it so your driver's side mirror clears anything on that side by a few inches and make sure the truck and trailer are in a straight line and straight in the lane. If an 18-wheeler can do it, so can you.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    When extended, your towing mirrors are wider than the trailer. Gauge it so your driver's side mirror clears anything on that side by a few inches and make sure the truck and trailer are in a straight line and straight in the lane. If an 18-wheeler can do it, so can you.

Rob
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Rob. Been through with the 3500 and the mirrors are 110" apart so I figured no problem except it gets tighter where the rubber meets the road. Didn't know whether the 310 axles extended the tires beyond where my TV tires are. I'll be careful
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep your slides and awnings retracted. Lol sorry it was stronger then me. 2 summers ago we were on hw 20 near Quebec city and the lanes were narrowed down with those tall cement barriers due to construction. It was really nerve racking, I had less then 6in on each side of the TT tires and was expected to roll 80km/hr. No way a full size 5th would of fit.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Keep your slides and awnings retracted. Lol sorry it was stronger then me. 2 summers ago we were on hw 20 near Quebec city and the lanes were narrowed down with those tall cement barriers due to construction. It was really nerve racking, I had less then 6in on each side of the TT tires and was expected to roll 80km/hr. No way a full size 5th would of fit.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    HA - funny - hope there isn't a "it happened to me" story behind that!!!! I finally got the wife to take over and drive the 01 Cummins when we hit exactly the same narrowed down lanes and barriers in construction just north of Jacksonville. She's refused to drive any truck since.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can avoid the toll booth by getting an epass toll transponder. Stay in the regular lanes, and your tolls get paid automatically. Good in 19 states. https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass/
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    you can avoid the toll booth by getting an epass toll transponder. Stay in the regular lanes, and your tolls get paid automatically. Good in 19 states. https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass/
    Have EZ-Pass which covers me down to NC and west to IL (except for TN). But here, the state has not replaced all of the legacy toll booths with high speed pass thru. You can't avoid the narrow toll lanes though they all accept EZ-Pass. Wasn't quite sure what to expect further west.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Have EZ-Pass which covers me down to NC and west to IL (except for TN). But here, the state has not replaced all of the legacy toll booths with high speed pass thru. You can't avoid the narrow toll lanes though they all accept EZ-Pass. Wasn't quite sure what to expect further west.
    Ez pass good in FL now as well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t drive on toll roads. I don’t believe in double taxation. I pay tax at the fuel pump to pay for the road. If you refund the tax that I’ve paid at the pump, I’ll pay your toll. Until then, I find another way around or I choose which states I will visit, if there isn’t an easy way around the toll road.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can fit through ANY toll both on a till road allowing truck traffic. Minimum width is a standard, and it accomodates any 1-ton dually, wide-body fiver, and factory tow mirrors. Whether or not youe depth perception gives you comfort to do so is another topic, but no RV needs the oversized lane used for wide loads.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast