User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Box Design/Cable routing?

On our new 2022 GD Reflection 260RD, the 2 piece battery box was left open at angle with a couple of screws to hold box together. I noticed the box is vented too and bottom, and was expecting that the box would be sealed in the front compartment. Looks like the reason the box was t secured was that there doesn’t appear to be an way to route the positive and negative battery cables from battery to load center bus. I was imagining some sort of side fitting attached to box side for each cable to route thru. Am I missing something or overthinking this?

Sincerely

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C8C959B0-AB35-44F3-8F57-78BC11647B41.jpg  
    Last edited by nogascans; 04-10-2022 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Added pic

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had to trim ours so that the cables could be connected and the cover closed.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    We had to trim ours so that the cables could be connected and the cover closed.
    thanks for response! By cutting, do you mean that you cut thru the flat mounting surface on box to allow for cable clearance? I was concerned about leaving space around the cables for gas from batteries to escape.

Has anyone had any experience with using screw-in cable grips?

Sincerely,

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I was considering using: Thru Panel Battery Cable Bulkhead Connectors with Copper Core 3/8" Terminal Post, Red and Black. Rated for max of 550 amps @ 12V.

Figured I could make up a couple of short leads to run from inside of box to battery (allowing for ease of moving box away for service), and reattach existing cabling (or possibly shorten) to attach to external terminals (new) on box exterior).

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Bulkh...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Sincerely,

DavidClick image for larger version. 

Name:	terms b w.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	39986

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nogascans View Post
    On our new 2022 GD Reflection 260RD, the 2 piece battery box was left open at angle with a couple of screws to hold box together
    Our 260RD had the battery box fully secured. Your's might have been a dealer error, pretty sure the battery is installed by the dealer.

Just something else to be on the lookout for. The solar controller is supposed to be connected to a battery before the solar panels are connected. Failure to have battery power could lead to having the controller circuits burned out by the charge from the panels. In the manual for the Furrion controller (what we got), it recommends that the lead from the panel(s) be fused and a breaker installed to disconnect the panels if the battery needed to be removed. I could find neither fuse nor breaker in my rig. My controller is showing a fault (red light). I haven't had a chance to test it, but I suspect it was damaged when the battery was installed. Since I'm planning to replace the entire solar setup, I'm not too concerned about it right now. If the controller is burned out as I suspect, GD will be hearing from me.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @OP, We trimmed from the lip of the cover up to allow room for the cables to fit and allow the cover to fit flush. Since the gas would be lighter than air, would expect it to exit thru the connected vent hose.

I did not see any other way for the wires to come thru and still have the box completely flush with the battery tray.

Your idea to use bulkhead connectors may be a better choice if it gives you enough room between the cover and battery to connect cables.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)