User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightclimber View Post
    I should have mentioned that I used the magnetic door stopper style. It sticks out a ways so you wouldn’t need to fabricate a spacer.
    Oh good idea. I didn’t even think of that.
    2017 Ford F350 SRW King Ranch 8' bed
    2022 Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R
    Factory installed 300 watts solar; 2 x 100ah BB batteries; GenY hitch with gooseneck coupler

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought an Imagine 2910BH. It has a friction hinge and lower magnet from the factory. When we were loading it up for the first time in the driveway a few weeks ago, the winds were unusually high (35-40 mph sustained, gusts higher) and the door would keep getting pushed off the magnet. It wouldn't slam, but just be blown about 90 degreed. I don't expect a magnet to hold the door in that kind of wind, however I did notice that the friction hinge is so tight that about half the time the magnet would not hold the door to the side of the trailer. It would pop right off and be about an inch from the magnet catch. Anyone know if there is a way to adjust the friction hinge to be just a little less strong, or is this normal?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    We have the friction hinge and it works well. Have never had the door slam, an quite often it is enough, and we don’t even use the latch on the bottom.

Bill
    This comment has changed my life. I had no idea there was even such a thing for RV doors. I just looked it up and Lippert makes friction hinges for main doors (of course they do). I'm ordering one now. Looks super simple to install. I'm really disappointed that we wouldn't already have these from the factory. Makes no sense. This is a 2022 model and the hinge has been in use for years. Yours is even a 2020 and has them. Thanks for saving me a ton of frustration!

Kim
    Factory installed 300 watts solar; 2 x 100ah BB batteries; GenY hitch with gooseneck coupler

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kengqiuist View Post
    We have a new 3740BH. I'm pretty surprised that an RV with such great quality would have such a poor main door prop to keep it open, or to close it when needed. The plastic hook is barely sufficient and has come off several times already and we've only had it two weeks. Has anyone installed struts on their main entry door? Or magnets such as the ones on our baggage doors? I'm confident that the magnets I've found on Amazon would work to keep it open. But I think I'd prefer a strut if it would work. I found some on Amazon but not sure how many pounds I'd need if I try it.
    You can purchase an OEM friction hinge from Lippert. About $35. Available in white or black. It is added to the door between the existing hinges. No need to remove anything, just add the friction hinge. I also have an S-Class and had the same problem.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have the friction and never had it shut close by wind. Works great

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We put these on last summer and they seam to work real good
    https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-20201...08R7VZRXQ?th=1
    They are a second set of hinges, do not need to remove the old ones, took about a hour and two adult berveages to install on two doors

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just adding my two cents and an endorsement for the Lippert Friction Hinges. Our Solitude has the magnetic latch for the entry door but it has to be all the way open for that to engage. Many times its not condusive to open the door all the way and when you want to close it you have to go outside to grasp the handle. I recently purchased and installed the friction hinges (took all of 30 minutes start to finish). Its a game changer for sure!
    Tom & Misty - Dover, FL
    Gracie, the Black Lab 🐶
    2020 Solitude 344 GK-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 6.7L Cummins CC/LB/DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

We installed the Lippert friction hinges. Super easy. They are awesome. I had no idea they'd be as strong as they are. No more door swinging in the wind or having to walk outside to reach all the way back to get the door. I wouldn't have even known they exist without this forum. Thanks to all y'all for the recommendation.

Kim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I understand why my door is "stiff". I must have friction hinges.
    Bob & Francie - Oceanside CA
    2018 F150 Platinum, SuperCrew 4x4 3.5L V6 EB, 145”WB, Max trailer tow pkg
    Our RV: Imagine 2022 XLS 22MLE - Purchased 2/22/2022.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanteer View Post
    Now I understand why my door is "stiff". I must have friction hinges.
    Enjoy them. I speak from experience that it's a huge pain without them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12