User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintek Slide Problem

2021 31MB. Looking for some help trouble shooting a slide problem.

The kitchen slide will move about 2 inches then stop with error code 8 flashing for motor 1. This code says wire short between controller and motor. I checked all the connections, pulled them and reseated the wiring connectors at both the controller and motor but it’s still throwing the error code. I also swapped the wires going to the motors from the controller and as expected it gave the error code for motor 2 that time. When the slide does move it is apparent that motor 2 is performing much better than motor 1 as that side moves much faster.

I have not yet pulled the motor from the wall to look it over in any great detail.

Based on the trouble shooting above is it reasonable to assume a new motor will fix the issue or will I need to drop the underbelly for extensive wire tracing? Replacing the motor will be far easier than dropping the underbelly, I think.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Hammer View Post

The kitchen slide will move about 2 inches then stop with error code 8 flashing for motor 1. This code says wire short between controller and motor. I checked all the connections, pulled them and reseated the wiring connectors at both the controller and motor but it’s still throwing the error code. I also swapped the wires going to the motors from the controller and as expected it gave the error code for motor 2 that time. When the slide does move it is apparent that motor 2 is performing much better than motor 1 as that side moves much faster.

I have not yet pulled the motor from the wall to look it over in any great detail.

Based on the trouble shooting above is it reasonable to assume a new motor will fix the issue or will I need to drop the underbelly for extensive wire tracing? Replacing the motor will be far easier than dropping the underbelly, I think.

Thanks for the help!

I also have a 2021 31MB with the same exact issue. I have replaced the motor and that seemed to have fixed it for a while but the problem has returned. Same exact motor. I have swapped the controllers around and motor outputs and the problem follows this motor.

So I thought maybe the slide is too heavy being the refrigerator, fireplace, oven, and other items are in the slide for the 300:1 motors so I replaced them both with 500:1 motors and still have the same issue!

I have ohmed out the wiring and did not find anything out of the ordinary. Everything shows open and nothing is shorted to ground.

I just ordered a new 35ft wire harness to try and see if that will fix the issue. I will just run it temporarily through the rv when the problem happens again to see if this will fix the problem before trying to go through replacing it at this time.

I just reinstalled both original 300:1 motors back into the slide this morning after motor 1 with the 500:1 motors would only move out 2 inches and then stop.

I kid you not after reinstalling the 300:1 motors, slide works flawlessly. I am thinking maybe the female cable end at the motor is possibly a bad connection or this wire harness is just too long causing a large voltage drop causing the amperage to run high causing the controller to shut down on its safety.

If the harness will not fix it I will make my own with much larger power wires for the motor as I see them being too small in my opinion for the distance they are run.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Design_16_21 View Post
    I also have a 2021 31MB with the same exact issue. I have replaced the motor and that seemed to have fixed it for a while but the problem has returned. Same exact motor. I have swapped the controllers around and motor outputs and the problem follows this motor.

So I thought maybe the slide is too heavy being the refrigerator, fireplace, oven, and other items are in the slide for the 300:1 motors so I replaced them both with 500:1 motors and still have the same issue!

I have ohmed out the wiring and did not find anything out of the ordinary. Everything shows open and nothing is shorted to ground.

I just ordered a new 35ft wire harness to try and see if that will fix the issue. I will just run it temporarily through the rv when the problem happens again to see if this will fix the problem before trying to go through replacing it at this time.

I just reinstalled both original 300:1 motors back into the slide this morning after motor 1 with the 500:1 motors would only move out 2 inches and then stop.

I kid you not after reinstalling the 300:1 motors, slide works flawlessly. I am thinking maybe the female cable end at the motor is possibly a bad connection or this wire harness is just too long causing a large voltage drop causing the amperage to run high causing the controller to shut down on its safety.

If the harness will not fix it I will make my own with much larger power wires for the motor as I see them being too small in my opinion for the distance they are run.

Thanks for the note! Very interesting you are having the exact same issue. I also thought about the wiring harness being too light of a gauge for the distance - but I’m not savvy enough with electrical to make that call. Let me know if you wind up swapping it and get better results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had all the issues you've both had last year on the Pantry/Sofa slide. New motor and new controller didn't fix. New wiring harness last August and no problems in three months' travels since. Work done under warranty and tech said he wired with a little more slack at the top of the slide into both motors connections. Said factory wires too tight and things get pinched up there. At least that's what he said and I'm now a believer.
    Last edited by coastn; 05-14-2022 at 01:32 PM.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
    2023 RAM Laramie 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4X4
    Demco Slider Hitch, MorRyde Pin Box

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coastn View Post
    Had all the issues you've both had last year on the Pantry/Sofa slide. New motor and new controller didn't fix. New wiring harness last August and no problems in three months' travels since. Work done under warranty and tech said he wired with a little more slack at the top of the slide into both motors connections. Said factory wires too tight and things get pinched up there. At least that's what he said and I'm now a believer.
    I'm hoping we just got a bad batch of wiring harnesses. It is the only thing I haven't changed so far. Thanks for the info.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the note! Very interesting you are having the exact same issue. I also thought about the wiring harness being too light of a gauge for the distance - but I’m not savvy enough with electrical to make that call. Let me know if you wind up swapping it and get better results.

The parts list showed a 25ft and a 35ft wiring harness. I almost got the 25ft but I don't think it will reach. I will keep you posted.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first thought was the wiring harness as well.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    My first thought was the wiring harness as well.
    The crazy thing is sometimes it works and then it doesn't. I know how to use a meter. I have megged the wires and checked them to ground and they all show open to ground.

Either the wire has broken strands or is just too long causing causing a voltage drop, or it is one of the factory connectors that are causing the connection issue I believe.

If memory serves me correct it is 18 gauge wire from the controller in the front basement storage compartment to the far motor in the back of the rv. That is a long run for that small of wire. I think typically the slide controllers (schwintek) are usually located close to the slide/motors.when they have a location to hide them.

I am hoping the wiring harness will solve our issue.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help!

Your issue mirrors one that we had, and replacing the motor solved the problem. We were on warranty, but bought the motor on Amazon. GD reimbursed us.

We were able to use the override procedure with the bad motor. In our Solitude was super easy.

I also bought a wire harness, also on Amazon, but returned it when the motor replacement worked. Its a fragile connection, and could be either one causing the issue. I also found that the factory wiring seemed to have too much tension...Best of luck!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DECelt; 05-15-2022 at 06:35 AM.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having same issue with our 337 bedroom slide. Clear error code and everything works fine. Slide in and out several times no issue. Psck ip and move to next campground and same error code again. Repeat clear codes everything works. Can't find a loose connection. May have to replace wire harness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast