Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No joy on the Borax and HE treatment. Grey is still stuck at 1/2. I’ll try again on the homeward journey.
    Randy and Kris

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with putting any "soap" or "cleaner" into a black tank will destroy the bacteria that
    break down the paper and poop in the tank..
    Once destroyed the bacteria can take a very long time to come back..
    This is no different than putting these same products into a home septic system..
    You may end up with a "clean" black tank but you are more prone to having solids remain and may not flush.
    If you are not driving on a regular basis this probably not a great idea.. JMHO..
    2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Dually Long Bed
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 349M

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your black tank is NOT a septic tank, there's no bacterial breakdown of material happening in there. Plus every time you dump it all (including any bacteria) goes into the park's septic system or waste treatment.

The black tank is just a holding tank, the only breakdown happening is the TP and some of the solid waste becoming somewhat 'liquified'.
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did a couple long showers and dishwashing and one of our grey tank lights went off. Maybe they are clearing with a rinse. More to come.
    Randy and Kris

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quit worrying about the sensor accuracy after the first camping trip. Once you know how long you can go between dumps it’s no big deal if they work or don’t.

I also just rinse with water at a full hookup site before I leave. Don’t use any chemicals between. No issues with odor.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by txarsoncop View Post
    Your black tank is NOT a septic tank, there's no bacterial breakdown of material happening in there. Plus every time you dump it all (including any bacteria) goes into the park's septic system or waste treatment.

The black tank is just a holding tank, the only breakdown happening is the TP and some of the solid waste becoming somewhat 'liquified'.
    You are correct... it is a holding tank NOT a septic tank..
    It is meant for temporary holding of liquid and solid waste until it can be dumped..

Until the solids dont liquefy because there is no break down of solids when you are out for a week or two or more..
    Hence the need for the live bacteria in the tank. And no not all of the bacteria are removed during a "dump".
    Definitely a personal preference.
    All I know is when I dump my black tank (which is about ever 2 to 3 weeks) I do not have any large solids that dump.
    I would rather have that than large parts or paper.
    I see far too many that have to get their dump tube cleaned out due to solids plugging the pipe or outlet..
    I have never had a problem doing things my way and am sure others have had no issues with the way they do theirs..

Everyone should use their own judgement on this ...
    personally I will keep to the way I do it and expect others to do the same..
    2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Dually Long Bed
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 349M

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
    the entire purpose of this post is the fact that suds is something you want to avoid ---pine-sol does suds
    Thanks for the industry facts i will be happy to give it a whack. I was doing Dawn and Calgon. It’s a hard subject to be excited about but I have not really been impressed with anything I have tried.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    No joy on the Borax and HE treatment. Grey is still stuck at 1/2. I’ll try again on the homeward journey.
    you can add "liquid oven cleaner" to the mix. It will boost the alkalinity (raise ph ) .

of the mixture and degrease the electrodes .

if you can't find liquid oven cleaner ...google dishwashing soap companies. You might try "www.soapman.com" they have a product call grease feast.
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bruce makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
    let me first say that for 30 years i was a professional in the commercial detergent manufacturing industry. So my reasons are based on fact not here say.

A low alkaline soap like Dawn or Palmolive (safe on hands) will generate suds when mixed with water. By adding 3-5 gallons of water and this soap to the black tank and driving you will generate a HIGH suds level in the tank .

Suds is made up of water and soap and as the mix takes place the expanded suds will rise above the remaining level of water. The problem is suds offers no "SPLASH" or scrubbing action to clean sensors or break down poop and paper.

Ideally adding an HE-detergent like what is used in a "Front loading " washing machine offers 2 features. It produces a LOW suds level and has "Surfactants" (makes water penetrate) and has a higher ALKALINITY (not good for hands) then pot soap which break down the greasy stool better along with paper.

This way as you drive you get more splash and scrubbing action in the tank.

So, make a mixture of "BORAX" and "Tide He-Laundry Detergent " ( or any He-detergent) . The borax will soften the water, release oxygen and increase the alkalinity (ph9 ) to help bacteria break down the nasties.
    (even if your water is considered soft--soil loads have the effect of increasing hardness in the water )

the photos below show examples.
    The conversation degenerated, Bruce made a point, a good point based on professional experience/knowledge and others made comments based on no science just what they like.
    Thank you, Bruce

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast