User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

getting to fort davis state park ,texas

Hi,travelling to a new part of texas for us,we are going to Big Bend Np and want to go to Fort Davis SP from there.Is the drive from Alpine on Hwy 118 safe to manage with a 3/4 ton chevy diesel pulling a reflection 5th wheel 303 rls ?
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Chevrolet 2500 hd,Duramax-Allison

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good road, some curves and hills but nothing crazy. We went the opposite way a couple of years ago and the roads are fine.

Don't miss the hike up the hill behind the fort, fantastic views!

McDonald observatory is worth a side trip if you have time at Ft Davis, best to buy admission ahead of time though.

The hot springs at Big Bend can be nice if it's not super crowded.
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by txarsoncop View Post
    It's a good road, some curves and hills but nothing crazy. We went the opposite way a couple of years ago and the roads are fine.

Don't miss the hike up the hill behind the fort, fantastic views!

McDonald observatory is worth a side trip if you have time at Ft Davis, best to buy admission ahead of time though.

The hot springs at Big Bend can be nice if it's not super crowded.
    Thanks very much ,good to know,I have very little mtn driving experience,just did not want any surprizes.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have traveled that route several times with our 303 RLS. As mentioned previously some hills and curves but no problems at all. The route through Alpine poses several turns on city streets but all streets are four lane so plenty of room to turn. Enjoy your trip and if possible go to the McDonald Observatory for the Star Party.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpypapa View Post
    Hi,travelling to a new part of texas for us,we are going to Big Bend Np and want to go to Fort Davis SP from there.Is the drive from Alpine on Hwy 118 safe to manage with a 3/4 ton chevy diesel pulling a reflection 5th wheel 303 rls ?
    We traveled to Fort Davis from Fort Stockton a couple years ago. The forts caretaker during the Civil War was my ancestor. My cousin Manny has a great Mexican Restaurant about a mile from the Fort. Don't miss the Pioneer Cemetery while your there. There is an RV park near the fort.
    Dutch & Marlene
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali 6.0L gasser
    2022 Reflection 280RS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KDutchover View Post
    We traveled to Fort Davis from Fort Stockton a couple years ago. The forts caretaker during the Civil War was my ancestor. My cousin Manny has a great Mexican Restaurant about a mile from the Fort. Don't miss the Pioneer Cemetery while your there. There is an RV park near the fort.
    Thanks,Dutch,do you remember the name of th RVpark ?
    2016 Reflection 303 rls

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpypapa View Post
    Thanks,Dutch,do you remember the name of th RVpark ?
    The RV park is, Fort Davis Inn and RV.
    Lupita's Place is my cousin's restaurant

Safe travels
    Dutch & Marlene
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali 6.0L gasser
    2022 Reflection 280RS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overland Trail RV Park is the closest and where we stayed. Nothing fancy, small park, all gravel (it is the desert) but full hook-ups available. There are several in the vicinity.
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took that route last Feb. from Big Bend to I-10 at Balmorhea. Stayed in Alpine for a couple days at Lost Alaskan RV Park, however. Good park. Took a day trip up to Fort Davis for lunch and to see the fort. Great restoration! Nother day went to Gage Hotel in Marathon to sample a ranch water as written up in Sunset Magazine. Cool bar and good drink. Check their hours if interested. To answer your question, you'll have no problems on your route as I pulled a 31MB which is about 6 feet longer than your rig with my 3/4 ton RAM. Really not mountain driving compared to what I experience here in Colorado.
    Have fun at Big Bend and the Fort!
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
    2023 RAM Laramie 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4X4
    Demco Slider Hitch, MorRyde Pin Box

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=coastn;449666]Took that route last Feb. from Big Bend to I-10 at Balmorhea. Stayed in Alpine for a couple days at Lost Alaskan RV Park, however. Good park. Took a day trip up to Fort Davis for lunch and to see the fort. Great restoration! Nother day went to Gage Hotel in Marathon to sample a ranch water as written up in Sunset Magazine. Cool bar and good drink. Check their hours if interested. To answer your question, you'll have no problems on your route as I pulled a 31MB which is about 6 feet longer than your rig with my 3/4 ton RAM. Really not mountain driving compared to what I experience here in Colorado.
    Have fun at Big Bend and the Fort![/QUO
    Colorado is definitely on our to see list,had a trip all planned in the summer of 2020 and well you know what
    happened there,border closed.Maybe I will contact you again about what areas are safe to drive pulling an
    RV thru colorado .
    2016 Reflection 303 rls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast