Likes Likes:  0

Thread: WDH Adjustment

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WDH Adjustment

I’d always thought the spring bars should be adjusted tight enough to bring the truck level. For fun, I read my 2019 F150 manual and it says “A”measure the front fender opening without the trailer, then “B” again with the trailer hitched without the spring bars. Then tighten the spring bars to bring “B” down 1/4 of the difference between A and B. That doesn’t seem like it would shift enough weight to the front. Opinions welcome.
    2023 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
    2022 Grand Design Imagine 3100RD
    Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rabbit,

Which WDH do you have? That will help. Most truck manufacturers today have stability control built in so the rule of thumb is to return about 50% of the weight back to the front axle for safety.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Rabbit--Ford likely has revised the recommendation for return height of front end in newer model F150 manuals. I do not know why but it may now be 50% return. Ford maybe making recommendations to avoid oversteer.

Most more experienced RVers return 100% load back to front and verify using CAT scale. Do a search on this site.

I do not agree with setting truck to level position as a method to adjust WDH. It may happen to be where truck ends up but it just as likely is not. If truck ends up lower in rear than desired with 100% return then consider other methods to raise rear than WDH.

Stay within truck ratings as a first step, which should be verified at the CAT scale!
    Last edited by TimtheToolMan; 10-03-2022 at 08:48 PM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2013 F150 was set at the factory to be a bit higher in the rear at unhitched/unloaded height. Always thought this was for any possible load weight in the bed when hauling. Because of this, I placed Bilstien adjustable 5100 shocks on my truck to level it out. And level is is also how I have always had the alignment set as well.

When towing my car hauler and or 5th wheel, I (also) always use level as my setup. Have found that my F150 rides better, tires wear better, and truck/trailers tow better when truck is level front to rear with proper tire inflation.

As for Fords Stabilty Control, IMO, I am not a fan of it. It wears the rear brakes out (and may even have contributed to a failed rear caliper which I had to replaced) far more than what its worth when towing. I have installed an aftermarket anti-sway bar. SCs best use IMO is for non-tow and for those without anti-sway bars OEM setups. Have noticed much less rear brake wear since installing the anti-sway bar.

Note: Have read about other owners with rear caliper failures on late model F150s. Not sure how many were towing or just daily drivers. But considering I never had issues with early worn rear brake pad/calipers before SC on other vehicles with anti-sway bars makes me wonder......
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)