User Tag List

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dealership guy I spoke with said they use the Schaeffer NLGI2 grease on the suspension points; I used the Lucas Red N Tacky, which he affirmed is just as good. An earlier post mentioned "zero" grease"... never seen nor heard of that type... assuming that would be a much lower viscosity lubricant.

Neither of my rear most fittings (2021 337 RLS) would take grease (fittings were OK), but with some maneuvering of the weight loading, I succeeded with the right rear fitting. The left bolt had to be replaced at the dealer shop under extended warranty. Now all is good.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I have a 2020 Momentum 381M… I have been greasing the suspension properly and regularly. After one of my trips to Orlando, I tried to grease them after I got home to prep for the next trip and I have 3 ZIRK fittings that would not take grease. I had bushings on hand for an emergency and so I pulled apart the first fitting to find the attached pic. Basically the bushing was completely SHOT. I found the other 2 that would not take grease the same way. I have reached out to Grand Design as well as MORryde. MORryde has confirmed these have prematurely worn, and they should not wear this quickly. They have warrantied them and send me new bushings, but any bushing that does not take grease is an issue.

I have about 7K miles on these bushings, and they have all been properly greased. I checked the others, and they were all fine, so for whatever reason these 3 were not ok, and I noticed it quickly when trying to grease and I replaced them. FYI only, hope it helps avert crisis for anyone else in the future.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D30CA40D-EA24-4689-BA7F-C753375609A4.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	979.0 KB 
ID:	43532
    Last edited by msutoad; 10-23-2022 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Adding photo
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No attached pic.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    No attached pic.
    Fixed it

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    So I have a 2020 Momentum 381M… I have been greasing the suspension properly and regularly. After one of my trips to Orlando, I tried to grease them after I got home to prep for the next trip and I have 3 ZIRK fittings that would not take grease. I had bushings on hand for an emergency and so I pulled apart the first fitting to find the attached pic. Basically the bushing was completely SHOT. I found the other 2 that would not take grease the same way. I have reached out to Grand Design as well as MORryde. MORryde has confirmed these have prematurely worn, and they should not wear this quickly. They have warrantied them and send me new bushings, but any bushing that does not take grease is an issue.

I have about 7K miles on these bushings, and they have all been properly greased. I checked the others, and they were all fine, so for whatever reason these 3 were not ok, and I noticed it quickly when trying to grease and I replaced them. FYI only, hope it helps avert crisis for anyone else in the future.

Name:	D30CA40D-EA24-4689-BA7F-C753375609A4.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	979.0 KB 
ID:	43532

My springs were flat on my 351M and when I tore into it to fix that issue I found my brass bushings looked very similar to yours. Around 10-15K miles would be my best guess. I'm a madman with grease, if it has a zerk, it's getting greased all the time. I hate paying for things twice, and I live on a farm, so I go through a LOT of grease (30-40 tubes/yr). I would guess that I hit the RV every month or so, never more than 1000 miles between applications and my bushings, like yours, were best described as "disintegrated".

Something isn't working as intended here. The spring eye pushing the bushing out of round, the bushing is too soft, there's too much play.. Something isn't right in the design; I'm not convinced that any amount of grease will really "fix it", it's just delaying the time between bushing replacements.

Honestly, I think this should move to a hard/hard connection. A steel bushing riding on the steel wet bolt with grease, similar to how it's done on a skid steer or tractor. There's no "wear surface" in an excavator, it's a hardened pin in a hardened bushing. I think a chromed steel bushing would likely be the end of this problem, but, AFAIK, nobody makes one. Your choices are brass or plastic, and apparently both of them aren't exactly durable.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    My springs were flat on my 351M and when I tore into it to fix that issue I found my brass bushings looked very similar to yours. Around 10-15K miles would be my best guess. I'm a madman with grease, if it has a zerk, it's getting greased all the time. I hate paying for things twice, and I live on a farm, so I go through a LOT of grease (30-40 tubes/yr). I would guess that I hit the RV every month or so, never more than 1000 miles between applications and my bushings, like yours, were best described as "disintegrated".

Something isn't working as intended here. The spring eye pushing the bushing out of round, the bushing is too soft, there's too much play.. Something isn't right in the design; I'm not convinced that any amount of grease will really "fix it", it's just delaying the time between bushing replacements.

Honestly, I think this should move to a hard/hard connection. A steel bushing riding on the steel wet bolt with grease, similar to how it's done on a skid steer or tractor. There's no "wear surface" in an excavator, it's a hardened pin in a hardened bushing. I think a chromed steel bushing would likely be the end of this problem, but, AFAIK, nobody makes one. Your choices are brass or plastic, and apparently both of them aren't exactly durable.
    I feel your pain and also align with you on greasing them so much. I do it alot, given my pulls are normally 500-600 one way and once a month, so I feel like my Dewalt grease gun is always pumping .

So, you bring up an interesting comment/point about the bushing strength. So while I was in this pinch, trying to get parts for MORryde, I did by some bushings that claimed to be the replacements from etrailer. They were dexter bushings, which at the time I was not super focused on MORryde since I found some parts at trailer and I could get them quickly. Here is what I bought from trailer:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Lea...71-291-00.html

Those are bronze and are MUCH harder than the copper ones. They have enough steal in them (picked them up with a magnet), that I figured they would be a much better solution. So I started my first change out which was at the hanger to the rear of the passenger side. The bushing fit perfectly, greased perfectly, went back to gather perfectly with my new wetbolt installed and taking grease. Once I finished I realized the other 2 that didnt take great likely were in the same shape, so I went to the drivers side to work on that issue. This time it was not a hanger bolt, but a shackle from the Spring to the blue CRE3000 suspension device between the 2nd and 3rd wheel. I pulled the shackle and the wetbolts attached, and they were also in the same shape at the first one, so I was glad I pulled it.
    I get it all lined up, and do the spring side first. Bushing goes in, and I go to put the bushing into the CRE3000 location, and the bushing WONT FIT... I am supposed to leave for FL in 12 hours, and I do not have parts that fit, yet everything should be the same size and so far, the spring side was perfect. I am not in OMG mode thinking of what to do next. So I got my really good calipers and measured the bushing, and the outside diameter of it and compared it to the CRE3000. Its clearly too big by 2000 thousandths ... I too that Dexter Bronze bushing to my lathe and machined it down to be a perfect FIT for the CRE3000 opening. The shackle went back together perfectly. SO... I get the bushings from MORryde when I get back from that trip and start looking at them compared to the ones I got from Dexter. They are indeed different, but only ever so slightly. MORryde says the CRE3000 needs to have the bushings "pressed" into them via hydraulic means, which I found interesting. However given the measurements of the bushings from MORryde, pushing them would be an option. I am sharing pics to show some of the differences in the Dexter and the MORryde bushings. The lathe was a perfect solution for me in a pinch, and I like the Bronze bushing a TON better as It feels so much stronger than the brass ones from MORryde, but having to machine tons is not idea, however with the inside diameter being identical, it is an option.
    I write all of this as the comment about wanting a stronger bushing, in case some of you wanted to swap your hanger side spring bushings, the Dexter WILL WORK and is clearly stronger without question.

Some pics from the project

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	43533

Name:	IMG_1016.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	43534
    The 2nd picture is of 3 Dexter Bronze Bushings, and one MORryde brass bushing

Name:	IMG_1017.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	43535
    For awareness, the last pic is one Dexter bushing with it half machined down, so you can see the difference in the material I am slightly shaving off

I have gone through my entire suspension system and replaced all he bushings. I used Dexter on all the hangers where the springs attach, and the MORryde brass ones in all the CRE3000 locations. I used a small hydraulic press for the CRE300 hangers, and it worked well. All my bushings even with crazy grease in them needed replacing. They were not all bad like the pic, only 3 like that, but the others clearly were wearing and needed attention.

Hope this helps folks.
    Thanks
    Jason

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I write all of this as the comment about wanting a stronger bushing, in case some of you wanted to swap your hanger side spring bushings, the Dexter WILL WORK and is clearly stronger without question.
    That's great to know, thank you! I had no idea that the Moryde and Dexter were different, I figured one was sourcing from the other. That's encouraging though, especially in the spring hangers were my bushings were basically disintegrated, seems like maybe next time I do this job I should go with the Dexter and see how well they do.

I'm still not entirely sure why this is engineered to have the wear surface be the bushing. It's a heck of a lot easier to change out a wet bolt than it is to pull off the whole spring and press in new bushings. If this cannot be a "hard/hard" connection (like a pin on a backhoe, for example, both sides are chromed/hard steel), the best option would seem to be a steel bushing with a slightly softer steel bolt.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is very good information. I assumed that when I replaced my nylon bushings with bronze bushings and wet bolts (same time I added shock absorbers) I would just need to grease them regularly and never worry about them really wearing out. But I guess I'll be inspecting those regularly too. @Overtaxed and @msutoad, thanks for sharing all the detail and pics!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... look into Never-fail bushings. I'm at about 30,000 miles, no greasing no wearing, they look like new!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... look into Never-fail bushings. I'm at about 30,000 miles, no greasing no wearing, they look like new!
    In the quick cursory look, the "never-Fail" bushings are not available anymore unless you find them at a place left over. I might be looking incorrectly. I did find a few people with them on the campers where they did fail also for whatever reason. I dont think there is a way to have a bushing NOT FAIL when it is pivoting over time even with grease lubrication. Its a "wear" item and the rougher the road, combined with heavy weights, these all will fail at some point.

I am assuming since you have 30K miles on them, they are many years old. Glad they are still good to go for you! If you have a link to them just in case I am just incompetent in my search.

Thanks

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast